• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I think we have to trust that Bruno is doing the same sort of work with Cundle behind closed doors on the training pitch as he has done with Toti, Kilman etc. Besides, we'll only need him if both Moutinho & Neves are crocked at the same time and that hasn't happened once since they both signed.

I've almost gone full circle in this window. It started with outrage towards Shi and the recruitment 'team'. Then I slowly came around to the idea that it might be worth keeping the powder dry right now, as the squad is close-knit, performing well, we have players returning from injury soon - and other than CM - we have depth in all areas. Let's not forget, it's this manager and squad that have got us 4 points off 4th place with a game in hand. Clearly it would have been ideal to bring in another CM, but who are they replacing? We're not dropping Joao or Ruben, and then you're looking at someone who's happy to sit on the bench and get minimal game-time; whilst also hindering development of other players. So what's the point? Honestly, I see it from both sides, but I'm far more relaxed about it than I was a few weeks back.

The loss of the "Adama factor" off the bench is a slight concern, but I think we'll just offer a different type of threat from the bench now, with players like Hwang, Fabio - and eventually Neto/Trincao (whichever isn't starting) - all of those are team players and not an individual who can occasionally do something outrageous, but most of the time, offers little end product. Plus we've no idea how good Chiquinho is.

I think we're in a good position to kick on over the second half of the season. CM will remain the obvious concern, but we're good enough to stay in/around the top 6. It's not just us that haven't spent either - look at West Ham. Still in Europe - above us in the table, but signed no one. What I will say, is we need to be busy in the summer window. We all know the main issues that need to be addressed, and I'm sure Fosun do too.
Good analogy and similar to where I am.

Good analogy and similar to where I am.
I am certainly calmer than yesterday. My piss was really boiling. I dont know why transfer deadline day does that to me. Apologies for any incivility.

I still think its another waste of a window and we cannot keep riding our luck with players with potential. I would like a bit more in our engine room than that hence why Moutinho came here in the first place. He then got 100k a week and was a marque signing. You would probably need to match that to get anywhere near the standard even if the player is 30+

I don't think Vitinha would want another season doing that here. He's benefitting with more game time. Maybe Lage has more faith in Cundle than some of our fans ?
I agree with you, in the main but I wonder if Vitinha would've had more game time if he was here as Bruno does like to give younger players a chance.

You may be right on Cundle, from what I've seen of him in the U23's is that he's too good for that level but hasn't stood out more than Giles, Sanderson or Richards did.

U23 football is very poor, conference level at best.

Do people really think signing a midfield player who isn't good enough to get in the team but will be happy to sit on the bench is a good idea for our squad development ?

They could be simultaneously not as good as Moutinho and Neves but better than Dendoncker who I'd be moving on soon.

It's equally mentality, if they're happy to be on the bench then you're correct but if they understand that the midfield two are arguably in the form of their Wolves lives but there will be opportunities (games when we use a 3, Neves is almost certain to miss 2 when he picks up ten bookings) and its up to them to grasp the opportunities then its worth doing imo.

It's almost like Jeff has taken selection headache a bit too literally.

I would have really liked for us to bring in someone, almost anyone at CM once we let Jordao go on loan. That move is the one this past month that really baffles me (as much as it has been rightfully pointed out that I shouldn't be surprised).

Aside from that, the recent emergence of Fabio and Gomes as legitimate options in the Prem (long may it continue) has settled my anxiety quite significantly.

Fosun are playing a dangerous game, no doubt there.

Seemed to be very unlucky with injuries in his time with us

didn't realise that Moulden and Sondegaard have also been loaned out.

Not that it'll matter barring something very strange but probably bumps Pardington or Arinbjornsson up to third choice for the rest of the season. Think everyone else is out on loan.

Pardington isn't Football League standard to be honest, never seen the Icelandic kid.

With the fact they have both gone into Non-League, we probably can recall in an emergency I reckon?

If they’ve only gone to non-league then needing them back would be an emergency.

It's not that easy to loan out keepers tbh. Especially when they have zero senior experience. Teams won't take that risk, and you always have the problem as the loaning club that they might go somewhere and just sit on someone else's bench, which is no good to us.

Matt Murray went on loan to Slough and Kingstonian before he made his Wolves debut. Nowhere near getting a Football League move and he was one of the highest rated young keepers in the country.

I'll ask here as its probably the most relevant place for it....

Are any loan fees you get taken in to account in any sell on percentages? (I'm 99% that they aren't but just want to confirm)

So as we've got to pay a percentage of whatever we sell someone like Ait-Nouri for to his previous club could we avoid paying some of the sell on by loaning him out for say 2 years for a hefty loan fee with an obligation to go permanent?

Tbh I've got very few concerns that Chiqinho won't be able to match Adama's influence. He looks quick, skillful and direct, and like he'll be able to cause problems for 15-20 minutes when called upon.

It's fucking outrageous that we haven't signed a central midfielder for three years though. I think it may even make Joao less keen to stay tbh, is he going to want to be playing 3000+ minutes this season, with a World Cup in the middle of it? Or at his age would he rather be in a less intense league and be in a squad where his minutes are going to be managed better?
If you ever listen to players especially those coming to the end of their careers they want to play all the time as they will be out the game and unable to play soon enough.

I know I have not posted for a long while i have been suffering with some mental issues culminating in a breakdown that nearly cost me business and wife.

My 2 pennorth FWIW on the transfer window and the squad.
I was very relaxed, thabks to Gomez, and Silvas recent performances we did not need to go get someone in those positions.
Like everyone have a midfield 2 of Neves and Mouthinho is brilliant abd as good a pairing in any team outside of City and Liverpool. You do worry with Injuries etc but the reality in January is getting a CM to come in would be a tough ask, if we get a youngster to come in that may just stunt Cundles progression and maybe just maybe Lage thinks Cundle is tge bext one to break through and thats why he has not gone out on loan.

Me I am delighted with Lage, delighted with the team and delighted with Fosun, i truly believe when Mouthino is ready to go they will have a plan to go and get someone in that position.

Losing Adama yes its a loss, but how big?
He does loads of great runs but rarely is there any sort of end product, we dont know just how good Chiquinho will be he may not have that raw power that Adama had, but his end product may be 10 tines better.

I always said In Nuno we Trust, and cried when the news broke, but well done Shi and Fosun what a remarkable appointment in Bruno.

I know I have not posted for a long while i have been suffering with some mental issues culminating in a breakdown that nearly cost me business and wife.
Nice to have you back, GW. 'Nearly' is the key word there - what doesn't kill you and all that. Stay strong and eyes forward!

(Nice return post, btw.)

Back