• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Jeremy Corbyn

As expected the Conservatives won the Sleaford by election, but another disastrous result for Labour. They slipped from second in the general election to fourth last night, behind both UKIP and the Lib Dems.

Entirely expected really. Sleaford was brexit central so UKIP were likely to get some votes. Performance of the lib dems suggests that is where the remain vote might go.

What the result showed is that as the national opinion polls suggest, people are turning their backs on Corbyn and Momentum.

Oh agreed. Let's not dress it up. Corbyn is completely unelectable. But no labour supporter on here has said otherwise.

Oh agreed. Let's not dress it up. Corbyn is completely unelectable. But no labour supporter on here has said otherwise.

That's not true is it? There are a few on here who have said exactly that. Even I know Corbyn won't win at the next election, but I don't believe Labour under any leader can win the next election with the reduction in the number of seats in Parliament and the SNP likely keeping their dominance in Scotland.

Sleaford & North Hykeham result:
CON: 53.5% (-2.7)
UKIP: 13.5% (-2.2)
LDEM: 11.0% (+5.3)
LAB: 10.2% (-7.0)
LIND: 8.8% (+3.6)

Never in any doubt for the Conservatives sadly. As for the other three parties, there doesn't seem a great deal between them.

UKIP are actually a little lower than expected. Looks like a good night for the LibDems.

Amazing what an anti-Brexit ticket does.

UKIP are actually a little lower than expected. Looks like a good night for the LibDems.

Amazing what an anti-Brexit ticket does.

Indeed. just a shame about the rest of the Lib Dems policies.

I am given to understand that Sleaford was a pro-Brexit constituency, which may also explain the vote here? Turnout was 37% FWIW.

Anywhere in that part of Lincolnshire is massively pro-Brexit. It actually is one of the few areas of the country where they could demonstrably prove that elements of EU policy have markedly damaged their prospects over the last 30 years.

All the Parliamentary by elections since Corbyn became leader have been in constituencies Labour would either win or lose in any eventuality. It'll be a better judgement of how he is viewed by the wider electorate when there is one in a marginal where Labour is a genuine option.

All the Parliamentary by elections since Corbyn became leader have been in constituencies Labour would either win or lose in any eventuality. It'll be a better judgement of how he is viewed by the wider electorate when there is one in a marginal where Labour is a genuine option.

If there is a by election in Northampton South then that could be an indicator. Labour came second in 2015, and cut the Conservative majority from 2010. And the seat has been Labour not so long ago.

You see I don't actually vote based on who the leader of a party is.I vote for the person I believe is best suited, most honest, their aims for the locality....as long as they're Labour ;)

That is just as much of a problem as Frank voting Conservative every time without thought.

You just cancel each other out

That is just as much of a problem as Frank voting Conservative every time without thought.

Sorry...Did the smiley face not give the clue it was a joke?
(quite)A few years ago I voted Lib in North Yorks as they had a yeal chance of ousting Leon Britton...Unfortunately the farmers managed to keep him in... Basically anyone but Conservative although the guy they have in this area now is actually not too bad and I've met him a few times

I do give thought to it, but you tell me one reason why I should support a man who backed the IRA during the troubles?

Right home from work and the last post was slightly rushed...

In my voting life I have only lived in two constituencies, I lived and now again live in Northallerton which is in Richmond/North Yorkshire, one of the most nailed on and safest of Conservative seats in the Country and have been "represented" by Leon Britton and William Hague god help me! and Darlington which is usually a very safe Labour seat and was represented by Alan Millburn who was a fantastic bloke who fought hard for his constituents and constituency.
With the exception on that one General Election when the (Liberal) people of this area made a concerted effort to remove Britton with a local candidate standing on local issues (insert League of Gentlemen joke) I have voted Labour. That one time I and quite a few others voted tactically but unfortunately about 7,000 die hard Labour voters didn't. If only just under 3,500 of them had done the same then Britton (I think he was Home Secretary at the time) would of lost his seat in what would surely of been one of the all time upsets.
I live in a Tory heartland and am not ashamed to say I vote Labour...Who else should I vote for in an area where it will make no difference?
Mind you quite a few of the people who cause the result, farmers, seemed to switch to UKip last time and that is one "tactical vote" I will not be part of

I do give thought to it, but you tell me one reason why I should support a man who backed the IRA during the troubles?

Did he "openly support the IRA" or was he trying to get a political solution to a problem that seemed to have no solution by getting representatives of all "parties" to the discussion table?

Are you happy to support a government that openly supports the Saudi Arabian "government" that oppresses its people and a leader who shoots down a member of her own party for telling it like it is because she doesn't want to lose the arms sales?

He didnt. As has been pointed out to you before, on more than one occasion.

Back