• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lack of Decent Crosses / Corners = Lack of Goals

That's too simplistic. It isn't basketball.
That's obvious too we know it's not basketball.. but when you play Man City how many teams put 10 men behind the ball and try and beat them on the break and score 2 or 3 goals against them like we did in the past with Adama assisting Raul scoring plus visa versa :)

That's obvious too we know it's not basketball.. but when you play Man City how many teams put 10 men behind the ball and try and beat them on the break and score 2 or 3 goals against them like we did in the past with Adama assisting Raul scoring plus visa versa :)
I don't see what that has to do with crossing.

We don’t play that way “crossing” we use dribbling from small players with pace coming in from wide areas Podence Neto. It’s not working atm we need other players from midfield to get into shooting areas hence signings of more Portuguese attacking midfielders also need to start playing Neves up field cause he’s the best striker of the ball we’ve got , if we don’t use this option I can’t see this season ending well

I don't see what that has to do with crossing.
Simple but effect and precise cross by Adama to Raul here against Man City
Not quite as good a cross to Raul as the win in cup against Liverpool though.

You're posting a clip of a team playing a different formation and style under a different manager.

I mean if you want Nuno back that's up to you but this has nothing to do with our current situation.

We don’t play that way “crossing” we use dribbling from small players with pace coming in from wide areas Podence Neto. It’s not working atm we need other players from midfield to get into shooting areas hence signings of more Portuguese attacking midfielders also need to start playing Neves up field cause he’s the best striker of the ball we’ve got , if we don’t use this option I can’t see this season ending well
You think we've signed attacking midfielders?

It's not a cross at all, he's inside the box and he squares it to an unmarked Raul.

There's a lot of posts trying to explain or work out why our attacking play isn't working. Whichever view you take it all boils down to one thing and that's coaching.
If everything comes down to coaching why do clubs spend far more money on players than coaches?

If everything comes down to coaching why do clubs spend far more money on players than coaches?
Chelsea just paid over £20m for Potter! I think that attitude is starting to shift tbf

I didn't say 'everything' comes down to coaching, obviously you need decent players in the first place. As we've been terrible for all of this season and a good chunk of last, if its not the coaching then it must be either the players are shit or they're not choosing/understanding how to put his tactics into action, none of these scenarios is good. The club are not changing the whole playing staff, Lage has to go.

I didn't say 'everything' comes down to coaching, obviously you need decent players in the first place. As we've been terrible for all of this season and a good chunk of last, if its not the coaching then it must be either the players are shit or they're not choosing/understanding how to put his tactics into action, none of these scenarios is good. The club are not changing the whole playing staff, Lage has to go.
I don't think it has to be a question of their outright quality, they pretty much all very technically able footballers at the very least. The most effective footballers aren't always the most talented footballers though and the best teams aren't always filled with the biggest names.

It's a complex relationship between many parties and it always rankles with me a bit when a single party gets almost exclusive blame. Lage is by no means looking like an effective head coach but there are plenty of faults in games that are nothing to do with his tactics. The first goal yesterday doesn't happen if Jonny just goes for the ball instead of wrestling, and somehow beaten by, Grealish. The ease with which they created the overload is a worry but that cross should've been cleared. Similar with the move I mentioned elsewhere earlier, was actually some decent football building that breakaway but Neto takes an unnecessary touch and it kills the momentum so the move comes to nothing.

Now good coaching could potentially help overcome errors like this, not that you'll ever completely eradicate mistakes, but only if the individual is willing and able to improve those shortfalls. You look at someone like Traore, got plenty of tools in his locker to be a good footballer and been around some great coaches yet still has the same flaws he did as a teenager. Sometimes the right voice and guidance can make a huge difference but other times the shortcoming is just too deep rooted to overcome.

Your other option is the try to work around these faults, something Lage definitely isn't doing at the moment and I think the easiest way to see significant improvement for Wolves. Becomes a more philosophical debate then though about what you really want long term. I think as long as there's a reasonable reliance on Mendes for recruitment there's always going to be a need for pragmatism in deciding how to play. Unless there's a bigger drive from the top to establish their own footballing identity and a structure to support it then it'll be difficult to ever succeed in a way of their choosing.

Back