• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lack of Decent Crosses / Corners = Lack of Goals

WWJJ

Reaction score
A lack of killer crosses like De Bruyne's assists yesterday is Bruno Lage's Wolves team's big problem in games for sure is the reason for lack of goals.

Take the Southampton game we only scored with Nunes crossing the ball for Podence who should have square it for Sasa to tap in. Fortunately for us Podence miss hit his connection on the ball which bobbled over the keeper. These introvert wingers don't help the cause with Neto cutting in most of the game and not crossing the ball which all PL defending teams are going know about with him going onto his stronger left foot most of the time.
Defenders cant do much running back if we have wide players going to the byline and crossing with our forward players running onto the crossing ball. This is what's missing killer crosses for assists for goals!!

Look back to the end of last season when Bruno brought in Chiquinho he was making some killer crosses from the right side..
Like the assist for Conor Coady to score the equalising goal against Chelsea ;)

@Deutsch Wolf but there was Sasa if you went to the Southampton game that was my point. Neto all 1st half never crossed the ball to him it took Nunes to cross the ball that lead to the Podence goal. Neto must IMO go back on the left where not just crossing whipping balls for forwards to attack the ball. Also Neto has scored most of his goals from the left side too

Ok, but Sasa isn't going to play again this season.

And having one bloke in the box is useless, they'll hardly ever score just down to pure weight of numbers, even if they're amazing in the air (Costa is not, Raul is not these days). We never consistently get players in there, haven't at any point for years. Actually pre-dates Lage though it's yet another issue he was brought in to solve and has made us worse if anything. We never score goals like City's first because we play the front three across the entire width of the pitch.

It isn't the quality of the ball in, though we actually have very few good crossers of the ball (none of the full backs are particularly good at it). You can put the best crosses in the world in but if you're trying to hit one man against 3-4 defenders then nothing will happen.

It's a tactical issue, Lage doesn't do tactics or fix anything when it's going wrong, so it's not going to change until he goes.

Daniel Podence (the smallest guy in Wolves team) is our top scorer with 2 goals from 2 crosses.

I rest my case!

This thread is definitely going to end well…

It’s not crosses it’s just in general we don’t create chances. That’s on the coach.

Daniel Podence (the smallest guy in Wolves team) is our top scorer with 2 goals from 2 crosses.

I rest my case!
And both have been lucky scuffed finishes. Not sure what your case is though, play crosses in for Podence? Don't think that's a tactic that will work too often

@Tredman very good crosses / assisted passes like I said De Bruyne's yesterday usually lead to goals.
Only other goals are solo efforts or fantastic long range strikes.

And both have been lucky scuffed finishes. Not sure what your case is though, play crosses in for Podence? Don't think that's a tactic that will work too often
You never read the OP I said just that as you do Podence miss hit his goal. Plus I'm not saying that our smallest player should be our main striker (9). I'm saying we should be getting more crosses and more forwards in Daniels position when he scored his 2 goals!
Dare I say like Grealish did in 55 seconds yesterday assisted by De Bruyne's dangerous cross.

Last edited:
You can put peak Beckham and Giggs on either side if you like.

There's no-one to cross to.

This. Had a chat with a lad in the north bank who was fuming at us not crossing the ball when we have a yard but with no one in there it's a bit pointless. I'm pretty much of the opinion that they should swing it into a good area early as that's their job done and someone else has to be attacking the ball but we'd just give it away 30 times a game.

I rest my case!

Was Southampton a cross? Nunes was in the box and passed it along the floor to him.

The Leeds one was well worked though, good early cross and a nice knockdown by Hwang.

Good crosses are not the main issue at one point yesterday we had the ball out Right past there full back we had 2 playeras in the box neither attacked any space. Standing on the penalty spot.

A lack of killer crosses like De Bruyne's assists yesterday is Bruno Lage's Wolves team's big problem in games for sure is the reason for lack of goals.

Take the Southampton game we only scored with Nunes crossing the ball for Podence who should have square it for Sasa to tap in. Fortunately for us Podence miss hit his connection on the ball which bobbled over the keeper. These introvert wingers don't help the cause with Neto cutting in most of the game and not crossing the ball which all PL defending teams are going know about with him going onto his stronger left foot most of the time.
Defenders cant do much running back if we have wide players going to the byline and crossing with our forward players running onto the crossing ball. This is what's missing killer crosses for assists for goals!!

Look back to the end of last season when Bruno brought in Chiquinho he was making some killer crosses from the right side..
Like the assist for Conor Coady to score the equalising goal against Chelsea ;)
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

As everybody else says, who do they cross to?

And you're not watching Lage's tactics of you think better crosses are the problem.

You're doing the age old thing of wanting to see what you want not what the manager is playing.

I imagine you want 4-4-2 and a snotter in the middle too.

Last edited:
You never read the OP I said just that as you do Podence miss hit his goal. Plus I'm not saying that our smallest player should be our main striker (9). I'm saying we should be getting more crosses and more forwards in Daniels position when he scored his 2 goals!
Dare I say like Grealish did in 55 seconds yesterday assisted by De Bruyne's dangerous cross.
It's not just the forwards though, we need midfielders to be breaking forward in there to help, and we don't have that midfielder (Traore may be that player, not seen enough of him to say he is) Nunes definitely isn't that player and shouldn't be used in that role, he's much better deeper

Tbf, yesterday RAN and Neto had a number of opportunities to cross the ball in yesterday when we had 2 or 3 in the box.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

As everybody else says, who do they cross to?

And you're not watching Lage's tactics of you think better crosses are the problem.

You're doing the age old thing of wanting to see what you want not what the manager is playing.

I imagine you want 4-4-2 and a snotter in the middle too.
No No No!!! as Trips as just sort of said and most top managers of the PL say you defend as a team and attack as a team!
No matter what systems you use. To get goals from corners and free kicks you put Kilman or Collins up there to hopefully score . Yet first of all you need to execute the cross / free kick corner correctly ;)

No No No!!! as Trips as just sort of said and most top managers of the PL say you defend as a team and attack as a team!
No matter what systems you use. To get goals from corners and free kicks you put Kilman or Collins up there to hopefully score . Yet first of all you need to execute the cross / free kick corner correctly ;)
That's too simplistic. It isn't basketball.

Back