• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Halfway Report

Squeak

Reaction score
So we reached the half way point of our season today and I think we have every reason to be satisfied with our season so far.
We are just 4 points behind Newcastle and level with Chelsea while being 10 points clear of the relegation places.

Our point haul should be better given some of the scandalous VAR decisions that have gone against us but it is what it is.
The good news is that our team is going to get better as our guys are starting to gel with each other and work as a team.

Individually, we have some stand out performers in Lemina and Hwang while good performances have been seen by virtually all team members from time to time.

In goal, Sa has been a little bit of a mixed bag but I'd rather have a keeper coming for the ball rather than Patricio who is stuck on his goal-line. Defensively, we need to improve as we are giving away far too many chances although this is probably because we are trying to score more goals and leaving ourselves vulnerable at times.

Our midfield works nicely and the young blood is much appreciated to the extent that Neves and Moutinho are barely missed anymore. Frankly, we are more dynamic and have more options open to us than the old counter attack we used to play. We are still a counter attacking outfit in the main but less reliant on that tactic than we were under Nuno.

Attack is better than the last few seasons mainly because Hwang has been in the right place at the right time. His performance today was noteworthy and hopefully he will continue to score important goals for us this season.

Overall, I will grade us as a B+. Could do better but it is a work in progress...

Not going to bore you all anymore with my thoughts... over to you...

I think B or B+ is about right. No doubt that if refereeing had been vaguely competent we would have a few more points (not forgetting to deduct a point for Doherty absolutely getting away with one against B6 massive). Around 30 points would be correct.

Having Hwang so high up the top scorers list is a great bonus (only 1 behind Son and 2 behind Salah is brilliant). The defence is wobbly at times but we are showing plenty of attacking intent to get round that.

Also, let’s not forget that the opening home games have been all the big boys so you would hope the home record in the second half of the season brings more precious points.

Realistically a charge toward the conference league place seems too much of a reach but a solid mid table season is the least we should expect.

At this point the only thing which can really scupper our season is a raft of injuries.

Hopefully we can sell one or two and bring another couple in. GON has already said we can only do a bit though as it stands.

My rating would be B-. Mainly due to a few lingering issues, that are to be fair slowly getting better:

- Conceding first.
- Away form has been poor not withstanding tonight.
- In-game adjustments can often be hit and miss.
- Same with the subs which can swing from completely ineffective to good.

We've had mini runs of form that swing back and forth. Poor to start the season, then a really good run. Then another few games of struggling, and now we're back on a decent mini run.

All these things can be explained by a young manager still learning, and also a thin squad in key positions.

B- is still a lot better than most were expecting after having to parachute in a young, inexperienced and recently sacked manager four days before the start of the season.

I would go for a solid B.

I think there has been improvement in individuals under O’Neil: Hwang, Cunha and RAN mainly. As I said over on the Brentford thread, he appears to have ‘solved’ the Cunha riddle and we now utilise him to such an effect that he’s of the utmost importance to the team and how it plays. He’s improved RAN no end to the extent the tricks are minimal now (and when they appear, they work) and his defensive reading of the game is getting there every match. Hwang is only 3 (maybe 4) goals away from 18/19 Jimenez which I think says it all.

I think we probably have the best midfield of those around us: Lemina is in scintillating form and it’s good to see him chipping in with goals. Gomes struggled earlier in the season but has now settled considerably and is expert at cutting out attacks. I agree with Squeak in that I won’t hear slander on the names of Moutinho and Neves, but what we have now is a dynamic midfield that have the legs to get up and down the pitch.

Defensively: Toti has been my surprise of the season, he’s just so consistent. Dawson reliable and Kilman is a good sweeper. I’ve already covered RAN, and as for Semedo I think he has become more consistent. Often our goals conceded are down to stupid errors or just not starting quick enough. I actually think Sa is a bit of a weak point just because he’s prone to brain farts. No, we can’t play a back four but I don’t think it’s affecting our attacking intent as much as it has in the past.

I wasn’t quite as aboard the anti-GON bandwagon as others but I wasn’t entirely keen. Sometimes he gets it horrifically wrong as a young manager still learning (West Ham, Brighton), sometimes he gets out thought by the elite (Liverpool). But on the whole, I think tactically he has done pretty well and he does react well to games. Subs happen at the right time and they are the right subs 6 out of 10 - after being plagued by managers who either react too slowly or send out the wrong set up that then has to be fixed with substitutes.

We are more aggressive now, our pressing game and fitness is excellent (I will give JL’s pre season credit for the latter) and although we will come unstuck when injuries hit, we’ve had Neto injured for two months and not struggled TOO much and on the whole I think our summer signings have given us viable squad options that can change and influence games, rather than spunking upwards of £30m on Mendes pet projects.

Positives

The points total / no relegation fears

Neto being back to his best for a couple of months

Development of RAN, Gomes and Hwang

Fabio myth truly destroyed - 8 goals in the SPL in the second half of the season shouldn't even get the most ardent truthers back on that bandwagon.

Scoring goals

Molineux form

GON understanding the style of football that gets Wolves fans onside

Vinny gone

Negatives

Failure to utilise the squad when needed by GON, if they don't fit the system then you need to adapt to them if that's all you have

The squad in general lacking depth / Sunmer recruitment

Doherty being played anywhere other than RWB

The lack of a Plan B when teams let us have the ball. A Venn Diagram of good performances and teams allowing us to counter would be almost 1 circle

The need for a 5, adding an extra defender instead of an attacking player, in games when we don't need them and when we try a 4 going with the weird lopsided malarkey on the left.

Goalkeeping errors

Shi still being at the club

VAR / refs continually screwing us over

B, possibly B+.

Positives:

The points in the bank. Most people never imagined we would be where we are now when GON was appointed in August.

The performances of certain players that have definitely seen significant improvements. RAN and Hwang most notably, but also the performances of Lemina and Gomes in midfield. I won't say Neto, his performances have been outstanding but we always knew he was an outstanding player, we just lost 18 months of it due to injury.

The togetherness of the squad. There definitely seems to be a pulling together of the squad and a feeling that hasn't been there since Nuno. The players repeatedly talk about how much they enjoy playing for GON, which is something that has been lacking for a while, and he repeatedly talks about how much he enjoys working with the players. There is definitely a mutual respect there.

Goals. We have almost equalled last season's goal tally already. We score more freely than we have probably done since our best Nuno season. Even then at times we weren't an attacking team. If we can solidify a more consistent style of play from game to game, the goals will surely continue to come.

Negatives:

There are some results and performances that have been head scratching. Losing to Sheff Utd, the draw at Luton, the losses at Palace and West Ham. All poor results and performances. Cut out the brain fart displays and we could once again be a top 8 team. Easier said than done though, with the inexperience of the manager and the lightweight nature of the squad.

Overall, we must be well ahead of what most of us were expecting in August.

Sa - good in so many ways but always has a heart attack moment in him. B-

Semedo - very consistent, been the equal of anyone he's faced 1v1. Can't attack but that's not his fault. B+

Kilman - fine in a 3 which we've always known. Limited attributes. Gained more confidence as the season has progessed. C

Dawson - father time may finally be catching up. Not at last seasons level but still badly missed. B-

Toti - Lots to love about him - quick, strong and committed. Poor on the ball. Probably our best candidate for playing in a 4. B

RAN - excellent. Huge improvement defensively and goes past players like Cunha. A

Lemina - just wow. Got everything and gives everything. Walks into nearly any midfield in the league. A+

Gomes - no question of effort or talent. Prone to the odd brain fart and games can sometimes pass him by but when he's on it he's fucking immense. A-

Cunha - beats players with ease and the often dodgy end product has improved recently. Sometimes disappears in games. A-

Hwang - what to say?! Nicknamed 'Hwank' and with good reason this season has seen quite the turnaround. Still poor technically but something weird happens to him in the penalty box like he suddenly stops seeing the game in real time. O'Neil has him at career best levels. A

Neto - best I've seen from him this season. Encouraged to take risks 1v1 and it's paid off hugely. Love him A+

Sarabia - another very recently improved. Spurs game seems to have changed him and Gaz has him in a role where we can get more out of him. Huge quality and vision. Might yet be the player we all thought he'd be. B

Bellegarde - excellent technically, 2 footed and quick. Needs more consistency and end product. C+

Bueno - bit of a gap between him and RAN now but looks decent at this level. C+

Santi - worrisome as looks neither quick, strong or dominant in the air. Good second half last night though. D

Doyle - very tidy on the ball and different to everything else we have. Can't really get a run though due to the form of Lemina and Gomes. C

Sasa - tidy finisher, great first touch and can link the play. I've always liked him. Can't run and can't press which means Gaz doesn't want him. Shame. C+

Doc - shite defensively but becomes Baggio in the opposition area. Twas ever thus. Truly bizarre signing. D-

Traore - lot's of good attributes but can be a little cumbersome at times. Huge potential though. C-

Summer fire sale.
Manager tells the club he’s leaving and hangs around to “do us a favour”.
New manager installed a few days before the season starts.
Top half of the table and arguably should be higher.
Scoring goals consistently.

If an “experienced” manager had done what GON has done…I think he would have got the credit deserved without qualification. Poch at Chelsea is an experienced manager.

What is going well, on the pitch, is straight A’s for me considering the context. Plenty still to work on but that involves money to buy players better than what we have. That is on the club which, for now, is failing off the pitch.

GON has done very well with what he has got, his real test will be what he does with new players if we spend in the summer. It will be interesting to see if he is here in the summer and, if he is, what influence he has on transfers.

I think it is pretty much a guarantee he will be here in the summer unless another Premier League club that finishes higher fancies taking a punt. And even then I’m not sure he’d go (or anyone would take said punt).

I think it is pretty much a guarantee he will be here in the summer unless another Premier League club that finishes higher fancies taking a punt. And even then I’m not sure he’d go (or anyone would take said punt).
You are talking about the club that sacked Nuno and hired Lage. Then sacked Lage and hired Lopetegui. Then changed the rules (twice) with Lopetegui. Then hired a manager who had been just sacked.

Fosun don’t do guarantees…

Very fair comment! I would be surprised though, and probably a bit annoyed.

B, possibly B+.

Positives:

The points in the bank. Most people never imagined we would be where we are now when GON was appointed in August.

The performances of certain players that have definitely seen significant improvements. RAN and Hwang most notably, but also the performances of Lemina and Gomes in midfield. I won't say Neto, his performances have been outstanding but we always knew he was an outstanding player, we just lost 18 months of it due to injury.

The togetherness of the squad. There definitely seems to be a pulling together of the squad and a feeling that hasn't been there since Nuno. The players repeatedly talk about how much they enjoy playing for GON, which is something that has been lacking for a while, and he repeatedly talks about how much he enjoys working with the players. There is definitely a mutual respect there.

Goals. We have almost equalled last season's goal tally already. We score more freely than we have probably done since our best Nuno season. Even then at times we weren't an attacking team. If we can solidify a more consistent style of play from game to game, the goals will surely continue to come.

Negatives:

There are some results and performances that have been head scratching. Losing to Sheff Utd, the draw at Luton, the losses at Palace and West Ham. All poor results and performances. Cut out the brain fart displays and we could once again be a top 8 team. Easier said than done though, with the inexperience of the manager and the lightweight nature of the squad.

Overall, we must be well ahead of what most of us were expecting in August.
Think all of this is where I'm at.
Interestingly, most of your positives seem to be a plus for GON, while only a few of your negatives are down to him, albeit they're quite big negatives against him.
It's a b+ from me, we'll see if he can improve on his negatives over the course of the season, there's not much pressure on him at this stage from a relegation pov.

Think all of this is where I'm at.
Interestingly, most of your positives seem to be a plus for GON, while only a few of your negatives are down to him, albeit they're quite big negatives against him.
It's a b+ from me, we'll see if he can improve on his negatives over the course of the season, there's not much pressure on him at this stage from a relegation pov.
Oops I meant to respond to TTs post but Dire Wolf's is also relevant.

B+

I was convinced we were in for a very tough season battling the drop when O'Neil took over. I was wrong about him.

The fact we're nowhere near a struggle has to be seen as a massive positive.

Posters (myself included) predicted doom and gloom and I think that if we were told we'd be comfortable in 11th place with 25 points with loads more threat in attack, we'd have assumed we'd made a very quick and shrewd managerial change early on.

But a lot of the credit goes to GON who is learning day by day, and it's to our benefit. I really don't think Lopetegui would have had us much higher than this, perhaps lower. And GON seems to care more about this club. There's now a connection between the players and supporters that has been missing since the Nuno era.

I didn't like most of our players during the dismal Lage and imperfect Lopetegui tenures.

We're far from perfect. We lose points in a very unconvincing manner at times, but that's balanced out by some terrific performances and results against better sides. It's almost like we're inconsistent and therefore a midtable side. Which every single person on this forum would have taken in August.

Back