• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The more is as stake, the more risks a manager will take in keeping their better players on the field. O'Neil has admitted it in our games this season and you can understand why managers do it. The problem is that the more a squad is depleted, the more they will have to take risks as in most cases there is a marked deterioration with benches in the Premier League compared to starting XI's.

Wouldn't say it's a new thing.

In 2013 we had Twatneck saying he didn't care if Sako got injured vs Burnley/Brighton because he had all summer to get over it, around 2008 we were patching Stephen Ward up for games when his knee was more or less hanging off, Hoddle/Jones picked Murray/Lescott when they were about 20% fit and didn't care what happened, Taylor signed Tony Daley knowing full well he was broken, and there's no doubt Bully's career was curtailed (never played regularly after he turned 32 and retired at 34) due to playing through injuries.

Wouldn't say it's a new thing.

In 2013 we had Twatneck saying he didn't care if Sako got injured vs Burnley/Brighton because he had all summer to get over it, around 2008 we were patching Stephen Ward up for games when his knee was more or less hanging off, Hoddle/Jones picked Murray/Lescott when they were about 20% fit and didn't care what happened, Taylor signed Tony Daley knowing full well he was broken, and there's no doubt Bully's career was curtailed (never played regularly after he turned 32 and retired at 34) due to playing through injuries.
Yeah I'm not saying injuries were rare before, or that the demands on players weren't high before. Just that this season has been ridiculous for injuries across the league. Several teams have been without half their squad for big portions of the season because of it.

It's unusual and because it's unusual I want to blame somebody and those nerds in Stockley Park can get it in the neck.

Never known a season like it. Not just for us, but all teams seem to be experiencing record high numbers of injuries. Not all soft tissue either.

I do have a pet theory with absolutely no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience; VAR has increased the number of long(er) stoppages and we, as elite athletes, all know that to maintain that competitive edge you need to warm up and warm down after bursts of activity. Could these stoppages be contributing to the number of injuries? I don't know, I'm just a truth-seeker, asking questions.
Any chance the short summer break due to the world cup, has had an effect?

Yeah I'm not saying injuries were rare before, or that the demands on players weren't high before. Just that this season has been ridiculous for injuries across the league. Several teams have been without half their squad for big portions of the season because of it.

It's unusual and because it's unusual I want to blame somebody and those nerds in Stockley Park can get it in the neck.
I always seem to associate Newcastle with having quite the injury list tbh. That may be clouded by the times you had players like dyer, woodgate & several others who seemed to be constantly injured. I have a very vague memory that someone was reviewing the st James pitch & training ground to see if that was a contributing factor.

Fish, thanks for coming on here and spending time with us.
It has been most enjoyable.

Back