• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Opinion of The Mag (Newcastle fan site) is that we are deluded if we think there wasn't much between the teams. I think there is something in their assertion that Newcastle allowed us to have the ball and possession as they knew we couldn't really hurt them. So they sucked us in, left Isak and Gordon high, and Schar/Botman/Bruno are good enough on the ball to spring quick counters.

I do think that plan would have been a bit different if we'd have had Cunha, Hwang and Neto for 90 minutes.
That's exactly what happened.

With the benefit of hindsight there is an argument that maybe we should have committed fewer players when attacking and frustrated Newcastle by not obliging their game plan and then see how the crowd react after 20 minutes or so of nothing happening.

Very easy to say after the event though.

With the benefit of hindsight there is an argument that maybe we should have committed fewer players when attacking and frustrated Newcastle by not obliging their game plan and then see how the crowd react after 20 minutes or so of nothing happening.

That's true of course but there still wasn't much between the teams, they were just able to affect the game better with the extra options they had.
The early goal killed us, which came from a really good attacking position which we gave the ball away cheaply and then a combination of luck and poor defending.
I'd say with even a near full strength squad we probably at least get a draw, maybe the win.

Just got to write it off haven't we, it happens sometimes, especially with a small squad and a large volume of recent games.

Had we not beaten Brighton with the weakened team we put out and then lost 3-0 as we did I'd be pretty pissed off. But I'd have taken a loss to Newcastle and beating Brighton this time last week.

Shit news about Hwang though, goals are going to be a problem again.

Opinion of The Mag (Newcastle fan site) is that we are deluded if we think there wasn't much between the teams. I think there is something in their assertion that Newcastle allowed us to have the ball and possession as they knew we couldn't really hurt them. So they sucked us in, left Isak and Gordon high, and Schar/Botman/Bruno are good enough on the ball to spring quick counters.

I do think that plan would have been a bit different if we'd have had Cunha, Hwang and Neto for 90 minutes.
No different to the way they struggled badly in the league after the early Champions League games when they started suffering with numerous injuries.

There was not a vast amount of difference, the main difference being with the Forwards.

No Cunha, Neto, or Hwang

Let's take Isaak, Gordon, and Wilson out of their team and see how they get on against us, with say, Neto, Cunha, and Sarabia up front, and Gomez in centre Mid.

There was not a vast amount of difference, the main difference being with the Forwards.

No Cunha, Neto, or Hwang

Let's take Isaak, Gordon, and Wilson out of their team and see how they get on against us, with say, Neto, Cunha, and Sarabia up front, and Gomez in centre Mid.
Would they have sat back in those circumstances? Probably not

The game was basically a none event once it went 2-0, we made a half attempt to get back in it and they were just happy to sit on it.
Just highlights that 1 or 2 key players out or below par and it severely lowers our chance of getting results.
We don’t have the depth to challenge for Europe.
Rest key players for this Saturday to give us the best opportunity against Coventry.

Don't think any team in Wolves position, in fact any team apart from Liverpool and City that could cope well without their 3 best (only?) attacking players.

The game was basically a none event once it went 2-0, we made a half attempt to get back in it and they were just happy to sit on it.
Just highlights that 1 or 2 key players out or below par and it severely lowers our chance of getting results.
We don’t have the depth to challenge for Europe.
Rest key players for this Saturday to give us the best opportunity against Coventry.
We have a full week between Fulham and Cov, we don't need to rest players. In fact they'd probably end up lacking sharpness if they haven't played for 2 weeks or more.

And most dynamic midfield player...
Definitely had an impact but I think we cope OK without Gomes than Cunha/Hwang/Neto.
Bit surprised Bouba didn't play more of a part tbh, I know he's a bit lacking in the quality stakes but he has real energy and athleticism.

We have a full week between Fulham and Cov, we don't need to rest players. In fact they'd probably end up lacking sharpness if they haven't played for 2 weeks or more.
Not so much about resting them as managing their niggles.

Seems pretty plausible we won't have Neto for Saturday, meaning a necessary revision of our overall attacking strategy.

Seems pretty plausible we won't have Neto for Saturday, meaning a necessary revision of our overall attacking strategy.
If Pedro isn't available we're gunna have a pretty young front line, potentially Fraser and Chirewa to start? He probably will stick with Bellegarde though.

I don't think Neto will play on Saturday even if he seems fit, that's two niggles since he came back. Play Coventry with the team that started the second half on Saturday and there wouldn't be much between the two teams. Would make Fulham decent odds though

My first visit to St James Park, I had tickets on Row Y right at the top. Climbing the stairs was like going to the toilets in Wetherspoons! Great stadium and the concourse area and surroundings make my seat in the Steve Bull seem like Bridgnorth Town.
Definitely one of those ground that once you've conquered the stairs and made your way through the concourse to your seat you have to take a photo or selfie. It's like being on the observation deck of The Shard.

I think he'll play. They brought him off as a precaution but assuming he trains ok for a full week he'll be good to go.

If there’s any doubt whatsoever about Neto’s fitness he should be rested. Beating Coventry is far more important than Fulham. Time for Fraser to step up, I’d like to think Bellegarde will too but there’s nothing to suggest he will.

You can't have both teams not wanting the ball and refusing to attack. Unless you really want to reprise Alex McLeish's Villa vs Tony Pulis' Stoke.

As for Fulham (I will get round to doing the thread in a bit), send out the best team we can for me.

Back