• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Was always going to be an uphill battle away at a top team with our key two at CM both suspended.

Arsenal took their foot off the gas maybe too much in the second half, and got made to suffer for 10 mins, but we still never really looked like getting anything. Our attempts at crosses into the box at the end were absolutely abysmal too. Sasa gave away more fouls than he won headers (which was zero).

At least our GD didn't get punished, and Hugo Bueno got a good 60 mins under his belt. The run of 6 winnable games coming up are key for getting points on the board.

Good fight from the lads in really difficult circumstances.

Despite ultimately ending the same way, that was night and day from our last meeting with Arsenal. No, we couldn't cope, but we threw some decent punches.

Fuck Arteta and all, but that's a top, top side we've just played.

Was never going to be our litmus test that. Top of the league vs us with our best two players out.

But we did ok. First goal is good play but a fortunate bounce in Saka's favour, second is just great play and I'm not sure what you do. Could have caved like we did under Lopetegui, especially with Sa going off, but we didn't. We gave it a good go.

The midfield pair didn't do much to advance their cause and they'll both drop out on Tuesday. Doherty is a fat disgrace.

Lovely strike by Cunha.

Bentley isn't great on crosses at all, we need to hope Sa isn't out for long.

Toti had a very good game.

On now to a few games where we have to target a big points haul.

Tue 5th - Burnley (H) 7:30pm Amazon Prime
Sat 9th - Nottingham Forest (H) 3pm
Sun 17th - West Ham United (A) 2pm Sky Sports
Sun 24th - Chelsea (H) 1pm Sky Sports
Wed 27th - Brentford (A) 7:30pm Amazon Prime
Sat 30th - Everton (H) 3pm

Should be looking for a good 9-10 points out of that lot really.

Things I thought I'd never hear:

"Gav you really are so good looking"

"Gav you are amazing in bed"

"Gav you are critical to this company"

I've heard all four lately. Scenes.
I didn't say all four of them, I would never say you were an integral part of your company.

Things I thought I'd never hear:

"Gav you really are so good looking"

"Gav you are amazing in bed"

"Gav you are critical to this company"

I've heard all four lately. Scenes.
Doesn't count if you're saying it to yourself. 😉

Outplayed and outclassed for most of the game. First goal they earned their bit of fortune with the bounce into Saka's path and he finished well. Second goal was disappointing from our point of view but great from a neutral. Bellegarde went to pick up Odegaard initially and then got sucked into ball watching and left him free. A fine finish to make it 2-0 and we looked like we might collapse.

In the end, relatively happy with just a 2-1 defeat as Arsenal could have had more. Happy we fought back and put the cat among the pigeons at the end.

Overall, our team is showing a lot of promise and now needs to deliver more results. Can't be too despondant. Not many teams will do much better against that onslaught in the first 20 mins.

Hwang now moves on to being one booking away from a suspension (along with Ait-Nouri). Have to get past the Brentford game on 27th Dec before they are safe.

Away from the result and performance...I think we can now guarantee Fabio is done after today and the decision to put Chirewa ahead of him (Cunha doesn't score and he has his debut).
Right now he is just filling a spot on the bench and nothing else. Hope Jorge has got him something in place to happen from the 1st Jan.

I didn't see the 1st half, but in the 2nd we can say that we didn't capitulate as we might have done in the past. And although we didn't really ever look like getting anything out of the game we made it awkward following a very decent strike from Cunha. It is clear without Lemina, Gomes and Neto we lack the depth, although I didnt think Traore in that 2nd half was too bad.

Bouba was Ferguson levels of invisible for an hour but finished the game well.

He's a kid really, only just gone past 50 senior games.
His positioning is still a bit all over the place, but he seems to have cut out some of the “just barely on time” challenges that feel like begging for a red.

Was thinking the same. If he doesn't come on at Fulham then there's no point him being here.

Sa should be fit for Tuesday

He knows he isn’t wanted and refused the opportunity to leave in the summer. So not entirely sure why he’s alledgedly on strike.

Doherty is back to being visibly overweight and we know that other than the bespoke Nuno role (where we have to switch the whole team around to cover him) he is fucking wank, like not even League One standard.

Jonny stayed to fight for his place but if he isn't going to get a go I understand why he's upset.

How anyone can look at Doherty and think "yes, this is my guy" is very strange as he's clearly not up to it.

Back