• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2-4 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Crooks and bloody Archibald. Pair of shirt fronts! Missed our chance in extra time at Hillsborough and knew it would be an uphill struggle when Andy Gray was injured for the replay in Tottenham’s back yard.
Yeah I was at the game at Hillsborough - better team in extra time but it wasn't to be.

When it was announced the replay was at Highbury I was furious - bloody FA - couldn't even afford to go to the game but I knew it was a stitch up and we were well beaten.

There's an argument that Villa Park against Arsenal a couple of years before isn't too dissimilar however that was for the original tie and not a midweek replay.

Yeah I was at the game at Hillsborough - better team in extra time but it wasn't to be.

When it was announced the replay was at Highbury I was furious - bloody FA - couldn't even afford to go to the game but I knew it was a stitch up and we were well beaten.
To add insult to injury got chased after the game and then had the coach window broken making for a chilly trip back to Stafford.

To add insult to injury got chased after the game and then had the coach window broken making for a chilly trip back to Stafford.
It was the only time I ever went to Hillsborough and it was one of the very few games I went to that I felt quite unease . . . the Spurs fans were rancid and I never felt safe at the ground.

It was the only time I ever went to Hillsborough and it was one of the very few games I went to that I felt quite unease . . . the Spurs fans were rancid and I never felt safe at the ground.
Highbury was scary. Wolves were massively outnumbered.

Last edited:
First things first .

I've been eating plenty of humble pie since last Thursday . There was I bemoaning our lack of goals , only for the team to go and score 7 in two matches . It's fantastic to see when you consider how little we saw of this kind of play in the previous three seasons .
Neto is back doing his thing once again and they are all afraid to bring him down as they know it's a nailed on penalty once he gets into that area .
We picked the right team , and hey presto got the right result .

Just one thing that someone might help me on :

When is an own goal not an own goal ?

Cunha's opening strike took a deflection - but he was awarded the goal .
The second goal was initially struck by RAN , then took a defection and went down as an OG .

First things first .

I've been eating plenty of humble pie since last Thursday . There was I bemoaning our lack of goals , only for the team to go and score 7 in two matches . It's fantastic to see when you consider how little we saw of this kind of play in the previous three seasons .
Neto is back doing his thing once again and they are all afraid to bring him down as they know it's a nailed on penalty once he gets into that area .

The second goal was initially struck by RAN , then took a defection and went down as an OG .
Shot on target - not an OG and vice versa, I believe

First things first .

Why were you bemoaning a lack of goals? There's only been 3 games this season where we haven't scored. One of them being the opener against Man Utd where we should have been given a penalty.

Not to mention by last Thursday we had almost scored more than the entirety of last season.

Why were you bemoaning a lack of goals? There's only been 3 games this season where we haven't scored. One of them being the opener against Man Utd where we should have been given a penalty.

Not to mention by last Thursday we had almost scored more than the entirety of last season.
Yes yes I know . My initial concern was that we never scored more than two , then along came the 4 - 1 at Brentford and the 3 - 0 v Everton , and I was a happy chappy once again............until Brighton away , who then went on to concede 4 at Luton .

Anyway , all is well that ends well . We're back scoring loads of goals and that's all that counts .

Yes yes I know . My initial concern was that we never scored more than two , then along came the 4 - 1 at Brentford and the 3 - 0 v Everton , and I was a happy chappy once again............until Brighton away , who then went on to concede 4 at Luton .

Anyway , all is well that ends well . We're back scoring loads of goals and that's all that counts .

Going by this article, Wolves are on target to score the most goals per game, in the top flight for over 60 years.

Going by this article, Wolves are on target to score the most goals per game, in the top flight for over 60 years.

Interesting article.

I went back and looked at our goals per game ration from the early 70s (when Wolves were a genuinely top side for scoring goals).

Season Goals Games Ratio
70/71 64 42 1.52
71/72 65 42 1.55
72/73 66 42 1.57
23/24 37 23 1.61

I'm staggered.

7 goals in the last 2 helps swing that somewhat
True but you could say the same for any season where there was plenty of goals scored.

In 71/72 Wolves also scored 27 goals in 12 UEFA Cup games at 2.25 goals per game (vs 19/20 where we scored 19 goals in 11 Europe League games at 1.73 goals per game). Should read 38 goals in 17 games at 2.24 goals per game.

Last edited:
True but you could say the same for any season where there was plenty of goals scored.

In 71/72 Wolves also scored 27 goals in 12 UEFA Cup games at 2.25 goals per game (vs 19/20 where we scored 19 goals in 11 Europe League games at 1.73 goals per game).
Was 71/72 when we scored 5 against league and Cup winners Arsenal?

Was 71/72 when we scored 5 against league and Cup winners Arsenal?
Sure was - all in the 2nd half with light snow falling as well.

One of the most memorable games I ever saw at Molineux.

And the week before Wolves beat eventual champions Derby 2-1 as well i.e. 7 goals in games. A week later they beat WBA 3-2 at the Hawthorns (10 league goals in 3 consecutive games).

Sure was - all in the 2nd half with light snow falling as well.

One of the most memorable games I ever saw at Molineux.

And the week before Wolves beat eventual champions Derby 2-1 as well i.e. 7 goals in games. A week later they beat WBA 3-2 at the Hawthorns (10 league goals in 3 consecutive games).
Its still just about my favourite game that I've attended.

Back