• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

I called Nunes a Rolls Royce of a player a few weeks back. He's got bags of ability.
But sorry, after Saturday, he's an Alfa Romeo. Looks good, but unreliable temperamental and untrustworthy.
One thing Lopetegui didn't do was keep picking Ait Nouri. He's a loose canon. Get Bueno in.
I've have had Bueno in after RAN's poor showing at United, he's had a chance to make amends and failed at that too.

Nunes is a bizarre player, sometimes majestic, sometimes completely hopeless. He generally looks pretty brainless to me though. Give him the ball and throw a few opponents towards him then I'd back him to instinctively slalom out of of their way more often than not but I wouldn't expect him to make the right decision more than twice in a row at any point.

Not faith as such, just his natural talent is way higher imo. Doesn't mean he'll have the better career, just that he has the opportunity to and if he doesn't it's on him.

Rayan is insanely talented. 1v1 a really strong defender too, but his decision making in the final third, quality of cross and positional sense let him down too often currently

RAN has a much higher ceiling a player than Bueno, whether he reaches that is definitely up for debate
I agree he has a bit higher ceiling, because he's more skillful with the ball at his feet dribbling.

They are slightly different full-backs though. They're both attacking but Bueno is more of your old fashioned beat the man and put a cross in, like Giles was. More of a winger.

RAN wants to cut inside, dribble past people and make runs into the box. He's more of an inside attacker/forward who can defend.

Rayan is insanely talented. 1v1 a really strong defender too, but his decision making in the final third, quality of cross and positional sense let him down too often currently
He's a totally useless defender positionally. His final ball is rubbish as well.

Yeah his concentration is a huge problem. When he's on it, he's as good as anyone in the world.

RAN is better with the ball at his feet and is good 1v1 defensively when he puts his mind to it but I don't think he's ever shown any great interplay with any team mates in his time at Wolves. Drives forward well with the ball but 9 times out of 10 he just runs into trouble or hits a dead end before going backwards. I wouldn't expect Bueno to ever have the heating of men in that fashion but his movement off the ball is better and he's already got into good positions plenty of times through neat little passing interchanges. His delivery is much better than RAN too, both in quality and the timing of it.

I expect Bueno to better maximize his ability out of the two.

Bueno has that nice step over to create space for himself to cross (which he’s pretty good at too). Combines better with team mates for sure.

I have big question marks defensively though. Not sure he has the natural instinct and physically still don’t think he’s there yet, gets outmuscled too often

I dunno, defensively Bueno more often than not seems to be able to play what's in front of him. Ait Nouri regularly (to me anyway) seems to have to defend what's played behind him.

My biggest issue with Rayan is that he almost does the Adama thing of “I’m 2 yards out of the box but I’m going to break the pressure with a dribble” and he loses out more than he wins. We paid for it multiple times Saturday (admittedly don’t think any of the goals came from it).

I really don’t know what to make of him as he is clearly a good footballer (he’s got that left foot volley on ice) but for me he’s the one who most often looks out of his depth.

He's as bad as RAN is for ball watching and getting caught out behind, his efforts to get back are better though although ultimately the end result amounts to the same thing. I don't think either are helped by Kilman being on their side

Lucky for him, there are still 108 points on the table.

It's a long old season, IMO the very worst thing O'Neil can do right now, for us, for himself, for the players, for everyone, is panic.
The best thing we can do at the moment is panic - we have to be shot of the PE teacher within the next two weeks or we are down.

No defender is. Kilman is slow and positionally clueless so never an ideal partner for any defender

The best thing we can do at the moment is panic - we have to be shot of the PE teacher within the next two weeks or we are down.
Ahh yes, panicking, famous for helping folks make logical, thoughtful, all-around good decisions.

I can only respond that Lop did not seem to take any lessons from the 6-0 defeat against Brighton into the 0-5 against Arsenal. Those were attempts at being more pragmatic than we were on Saturday and they both resulted in performances devoid of anything positive.

You can take the view that the Prem will be full of hard lessons for O'Neil, I will (for now) be taking the view that the heights of the Premier League are the best teacher O'Neil could possibly ask for.

How he implements those lessons remains to be seen and will determine the success of his time here.
obviously Lop was in control of those heavy defeats - we didn’t need points in
those games - it’s just Jeff is too wet around the ears to understand the message.

No defender is. Kilman is slow and positionally clueless so never an ideal partner for any defender
I'm no big fan of kilman, but he regularly gets drawn out of position to half heartedly fight fires left by others. Basically in no man's land.
He was ok in a five with Coady pulling the strings

Back