• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

My question would be what happened between the Utd game and the Brighton game to see such an obvious drop off in energy/attitude.
Or was it solely down to the opposition? Or the fact that they had extra days to prepare? I don't know. Maybe you do.
Why don't you stop trying to pick holes in other people's posts and put your cards on the table?
If you want O'Neil gone just say so.
I wanted Lopetegui gone, not for the football, not for the job in keeping us up.
For his whining and mainly his disloyalty with doing interviews outside of the club, criticising the owners. That made his position untenable, he did it deliberately to do that, and walk away with a good pay off.

Why don't you stop trying to pick holes in other people's posts

It's called argument and discussion...

I imagine every manager sets his team up to perform, when it goes to shit three times in ten mins as on Saturday I think it's unfair to hump all that on the players, I imagine O'Neil would feel the same.

As for wanting him gone, I never wanted him here in the first place. I doubt he was on any Wolves fans shortlist. Was he on yours?

He's here now and I'll be fairly appraising him match by match 🤷‍♂️

It's called argument and discussion...

I imagine every manager sets his team up to perform, when it goes to shit three times in ten mins as on Saturday I think it's unfair to hump all that on the players, I imagine O'Neil would feel the same.

As for wanting him gone, I never wanted him here in the first place. I doubt he was on any Wolves fans shortlist. Was he on yours?

He's here now and I'll be fairly appraising him match by match 🤷‍♂️
Fair enough. No wasn't on my short list, I would have liked Lopetegui to have stayed, been bank rolled and done really well.
It went to rat shit, It's Wolves, why would we expect anything else?
I'd be the same as you regarding O'Neil, I want him to do well, whether he will or not I really don't know.

we
Our 'novice, naive' manager, doesn't miss 'one on ones', stand 'ball watching' whilst his opposite number runs past him, palm the ball to an opposition player when he could have caught it, or get sent off through petulance.
That's our players.
our manager needs to get points and if he doesn’t he’ll be sacked.

we

our manager needs to get points and if he doesn’t he’ll be sacked.
Lucky for him, there are still 108 points on the table.

It's a long old season, IMO the very worst thing O'Neil can do right now, for us, for himself, for the players, for everyone, is panic.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how many points are on the table if your football is too naive to get them

Doesn't matter how many points are on the table if your football is too naive to get them
I have a hunch that if we'd tried to sit in against them we'd have just ended up losing 6-0 again.

Not having a go; there's something weird to me about the style we ask of managers. Go for it and lose => too naïve. Don't go for it at all => no ambition.

For years under Lage I heard that we'd rather see the former than the latter. Well, we are now, and it's still being used as a stick.

It wasn't "having a go" that cost us really. It's that both full backs struggle if they're beaten in behind, and the centre halves are the most glacial pairing we've had since Johnson and Berra, and there's also fuck all leadership there as Captain Wow couldn't organise handing out the milk at school.

We could just buy at least one defender.

I have a hunch that if we'd tried to sit in against them we'd have just ended up losing 6-0 again.

Not having a go; there's something weird to me about the style we ask of managers. Go for it and lose => too naïve. Don't go for it at all => no ambition.

For years under Lage I heard that we'd rather see the former than the latter. Well, we are now, and it's still being used as a stick.

This is the Premier League not a pub league, it's a bit more nuanced than either 'having a go' or 'sitting in'. I could manage Wolves at the weekend, 'have a go' and lose heavily.

Several managers (including Nuno himself) have failed to transition us fully from the cautious but (usually) effective style Nuno had us playing to something that could be more dominant and easy on the eye. Lopetegui's team seemed to be more at ease with having more possession than his predecessors, which was a start.

I have no problem with O'Neil having a go at it, but the issue is I'm not convinced he's fully considered the negative implications of playing such front foot football, taken into account the weaknesses of our playing staff, and even if he has, that he's good enough to mitigate it.

His lack of experience means he'll be learning these lessons in the full glare of the PL and potentially costing us points while doing so.

I can only respond that Lop did not seem to take any lessons from the 6-0 defeat against Brighton into the 0-5 against Arsenal. Those were attempts at being more pragmatic than we were on Saturday and they both resulted in performances devoid of anything positive.

You can take the view that the Prem will be full of hard lessons for O'Neil, I will (for now) be taking the view that the heights of the Premier League are the best teacher O'Neil could possibly ask for.

How he implements those lessons remains to be seen and will determine the success of his time here.

I'd say that neither of those games under Lopetegui mattered a fuck realistically (not that it's acceptable) and he was picking players he had no intention of using going forward.

Bit different to your home debut, the next two home games are Liverpool and Man City, and you've tacitly accepted that broadly speaking that's your squad.

I do want to know who the fuck at the club has this bizarrely inflated opinion of Kilman. Use your eyes.

I'd say that neither of those games under Lopetegui mattered a fuck realistically (not that it's acceptable) and he was picking players he had no intention of using going forward.
This is a fair point.

I can only respond that Lop did not seem to take any lessons from the 6-0 defeat against Brighton into the 0-5 against Arsenal. Those were attempts at being more pragmatic than we were on Saturday and they both resulted in performances devoid of anything positive.

I'm not sure what relevance the heavy Brighton and Arsenal defeats of last season have on anything now, but yours is about the fourth reference to it I've seen this week. Probably some false equivalence between both managers?

We were already well safe when those awful results were posted last season, weird shit happens. The points were likely the difference between finishing 13th or 14th. Pretty unimportant at that stage.

Saturday was O'Neil's first home game and the points at stake at this stage of the season are most certainly not unimportant.

The team that lost at Brighton was a first choice side
Sa
Semedo
Collins
Dawson
Bueno
Nunes
Neves
Lemina
Gomes
Costa
Neto.

Set up badly as was Lopetegui's M.O away from home, but not a scrub side. Brighton's on the other hand...

Pretty sure Lopetegui did not want to keep 82 year old Diego Costa long-term, he knew Neves would go and we know he didn't like Collins.

Yeah, but with what he'd got. He had designs on better than that and at the time we said he could have them.

Not excusing the performance at all as it's one of the worst I've ever seen going back to 1988. But I cared less about that three days afterwards than I care about Saturday now.

Arsenal was the most on the beach performance I've ever seen (the first 25 minutes of before turning off because it was obvious what was happening). I like to think Brighton was too, because the alternative is too depressing.

Back