• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

My narrative?

Well it’s not having a pre conceived opinion for starters then fuelled by confirmation bias at best and drivel at worst.

I watch the game and give an opinion. We restricted Man Utd to very little and with 6/10 finishing ability would have won the game or got at least a point.

Those same players then managed to actually restrict Brighton to very little outside of some great play/dreadful defending for the Mitoma goal (it can be both, often is) and we deserved to be at least Level if we’d again finished at a 6/10 level in the first half.

Then we follow that up Straight after HT with some 1/10 defending and the games gone. Chuck in some more 1/10 defending and forward play for good measure and it’s 1-4.

I feel if players had performed at an average level for their ability we wouldn’t be looking at 0 points and -4 GD despite on paper playing two good teams. I’m hoping they won’t continue in that vein because we can’t sign anyone and have very little else in the squad to change things up. Or if they do continue at that level it would still be enough to get past the likes of Everton.

If players can’t be arsed to stay goal side of forwards, strikers can’t score open goals or 1v1s then I’m not sure what the manager can do to change that without signing players or playing a low block back 7 which IMO would be just as unsuccessful, boring along the way and he’d still get pelters.

Thank goodness we have you to cut through the pre conceived opinions and drivel.

So, a lot more words to say basically the same as before. 'The players aren't good enough and there's not much that can be done about that'.

So how did the previous manager get us a top 10 points yield during his time here?

You might want to check how many members of the nuno squad are still here…

So how did the previous manager get us a top 10 points yield during his time here?
I imagine his 20 year coaching career and something else from his skill set to justify his £9m a year salary (or whatever it was).

Is it a downgrade? Of course it fucking is. Doesn’t automatically mean the manager is a PE teacher.

We’ve got a worse squad and everyone else has improved so even with JL here I think 12th-14th was the peak of our ambitions. I’m not going to let two games where an objective view says we played alright tell me the manager is sending us down.

I imagine his 20 year coaching career and something else from his skill set to justify his £9m a year salary (or whatever it was).

Is it a downgrade? Of course it fucking is. Doesn’t automatically mean the manager is a PE teacher.

We’ve got a worse squad and everyone else has improved so even with JL here I think 12th-14th was the peak of our ambitions. I’m not going to let two games where an objective view says we played alright tell me the manager is sending us down.

Let's not forget Lopetegui had longer to work with the squad prior to his first game than O'Neil has had so far.

I'm not sure we have a worse squad just because we've lost Collins and Neves and some deadwood like Adama and Costa. We have a couple of actual strikers (jury still out obviously) for a start.

I haven't said O'Neil is sending us down (this season), and the problems at the club are obviously wider than him. But don't you see the parallels with Lage's first season and the opening games where we also 'played alright'?

I'm not sure we have a worse squad just because we've lost Collins and Neves and some deadwood like Adama and Costa. We have a couple of actual strikers (jury still out obviously) for a start.
Of course we have a worse squad. There’s less players in it for starters, we lost our captain, our two top scorers have left/leaving, Traore was at least an option as well as Moutinho (vital in 3 points against spurs alone without considering anything else).
I haven't said O'Neil is sending us down (this season), and the problems at the club are obviously wider than him. But don't you see the parallels with Lage's first season and the opening games where we also 'played alright'?
No because we didn’t play that well in those games, a myth that has been done to death on here. We as a club we’re also at a higher starting point

We all would like an extra signing or two, and can all disagree on the value of players, but I wouldn't say that O'Neil has worse tools than Lopetegui. For a start, Nunes, JG and Cunha have had an extra season to integrate, and most fans are in agreement that midfield succession planning for Neves is one of the few elements that looks well thought-out.

I don't think holding up Adama, Podence and 2023 Raul as squad losses of any significance does your argument any favours, and you've completely ignored the re-integration of Sasa and Fabio.

More people need to get on the Bueno Bandwagon imo. It's good.

Hes already improved heaps but I think once he's played more consistently, is a regular and not played as a backup to a CB covering in Toti, or a defensively inferior RAN, then his game will get better.

RAN might be the better "threat" at goal, but I'd take Bueno as way ahead defensively, and is likely the best cross at the club currently - though the sample size this year on that is a bit small, I think Sarabia has been the only one who's put in a few decent crosses and he's not a traditional winger to begin with.

I always think Beuno looks well drilled/schooled as a fullback, like he has took in everything taught to him at youth level. Feels quite methodic and consistent. If that makes sense! :D

I'd chalk it up to a lack of tactical awareness before saying the players weren't putting in the proper effort.

Knowing what to do in a situation is different from recognizing that situation developing in real time.
But why are we using these types of phrases when talking about apparently fairly intelligent players who have several years experience, been coached by some of the top coaches in Europe and some who are full internationals and have been for a while!

But why are we using these types of phrases when talking about apparently fairly intelligent players who have several years experience, been coached by some of the top coaches in Europe and some who are full internationals and have been for a while!
Because IMO speed of thought, or speed of situational recognition, is what separates good footballers from great ones at this level.

Just my opinion but if you're in the Prem you're already part of football's 1%. Fine margins to separate yourself within that cohort.

Because IMO speed of thought, or speed of situational recognition, is what separates good footballers from great ones at this level.

Just my opinion but if you're in the Prem you're already part of football's 1%. Fine margins to separate yourself within that cohort.
Agreed!
And it's experience that gives you that edge, without actually having to think about it, you're just there, in the right place, but most of this 'tactical awareness' has been drilled in at school and at least in early days of senior football.
I would have thought that those conversations and lessons have been left a long way behind.
To be still failing at this basic stuff is confounding and just stupid!

Back