• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

After a promising first half, a thoroughly abysmal ten minutes at the start of the second half and we gave away the game.

You could argue that apart from that crazy 10 mins we were decent. But ultimately our passing, finishing and defending just aren't quite good enough when facing a side as clinical as Brighton.

I can definitely see us in a relegation scrap unless O'Neil can find a way of making this team effective without being ultra defensive. We need to persist with Silva up front because otherwise we don't have any chance of scoring. Hwang should come in after his cameo.

MOTM - Cunha again. Nunes decent too until his stupid second yellow.

Last edited:
I really had high hoes for this game too!
August 19th, 2023; I've confirmed that Danny Brown is a Wolves' supporter.

On the match, in my heart of hearts I think we've been made to look much worse than we actually are by a team that may simply be the best non-Sky 6 squad ever assembled (including De Zerbi as coach). They were brilliant for exactly as long as they needed to be, and it's hard to imagine they couldn't have resumed scoring at will had we managed to nab a second goal.

Bueno now has to be ahead of RAN, unfortunately. He had a nightmare all day.

Deadfall. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything as embarrassingly naive or inept as that ‘play’ for the start of the 2nd half. Both wolves and GON are gone. Just a matter of time.

Brighton's slick passing and movement showed us how poor we really are. Nearly 40 chances on goal in first 2 games and we score just 1.
3 guilt edged chances first half and never even hit the target.

What to say? Torn apart in a 10 minute spell where we defended like absolute clowns, but for long periods of the game we were not bad. We are still plagued by poor decision making and poor execution in the final 3rd of the pitch, which has been an issue for at least 3 seasons now, so you feel like it isn't going to go away in the near future.

I've no idea what Nunes was thinking, he wasn't even fouled to get provoke that reaction, it was just simply a red mist moment. Cunha was again excellent and easily our best player, Hwang came on and did very well. He actually has started to look like he kind of belongs at this level, something I never thought I'd say.

We need 2 new centre backs. Dawson isn't terrible but if he's up against teams that are quick thinking and quick footed he's a liability. Kilman is just a liability.

Question - Do Nunes' two yellows count towards his 5 for a suspension, or are they both wiped out by the red?

Almost never leave early but opted for an earlier train. Overheard a fan on mobile on way back and his description summed it up perfectly. Shower of shit. Silva and Nunes only ones to get any credit. Their last two goals came from balls whipped across the box first time. I lost count of how many times Neto had the chance to do the same and cut back which summed up our complete lack of ideas going forwards. Brighton were very good but with just a little application in centre of defence we might have given them a game. Have Napoli signed a centre back yet…?

Edit. Nunes red - just Silva vaguely ok then.

Some proper delusion on the matchday thread.

All this damning with faint praise and 'coulda-woulda-shoulda's' all sound like what deluded fans of newly-promoted clubs say. Being able to pass the ball around without hurting the opposition isn't 'quality' and won't earn you points and results, and aside from Hwang (FFS) we have a team devoid of any goalscoring instinct.

It may have been pretty at times, but wasn't convincing and at no point did we have tangible control of the game (even when playing 'well' we were 1-0 down).

'Just keep playing as we are and we'll be fine'... Christ.

Brighton kept us at arm's length and then De Zerbi got them to burn us off in 10 mins.

Not doom and gloom just yet, but we don't have the luxury of being bottom of the league for long while O'Neil and his nomarks sort this out

Deadfall. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything as embarrassingly naive or inept as that ‘play’ for the start of the 2nd half. Both wolves and GON are gone. Just a matter of time.
If I remember correctly, last season Bournemouth scored doing something like we tried from the 2nd half kick off. Unfortunately we lost possession from it and Brighton are the worst team you can give acres of space to which is what happened.

If I remember correctly, last season Bournemouth scored doing something like we tried from the 2nd half kick off. Unfortunately we lost possession from it and Brighton are the worst team you can give acres of space to which is what happened.
Bournemouth were shit last season.

That was fucking awful, Fosun need to take a long hard look.

I don't have a problem with Nunes, fuck em, should have twatted a few on the way off.

Fucking raging at that result it's a fucking
Disgrace

Bueno now has to be ahead of RAN, unfortunately. He had a nightmare all day.
No he didn’t. He held up well first half and accordingly got a decent reception as he left.

Brighton excellent. We’ve got the cutting edge of a beach all and the centre backs and keeper were a liability. If only someone had seen that coming and thought about rectifying it.

Some proper delusion on the matchday thread.

All this damning with faint praise and 'coulda-woulda-shoulda's' all sound like what deluded fans of newly-promoted clubs say. Being able to pass the ball around without hurting the opposition isn't 'quality' and won't earn you points and results, and aside from Hwang (FFS) we have a team devoid of any goalscoring instinct.

It may have been pretty at times, but wasn't convincing and at no point did we have tangible control of the game (even when playing 'well' we were 1-0 down).

'Just keep playing as we are and we'll be fine'... Christ.

Brighton kept us at arm's length and then De Zerbi got them to burn us off in 10 mins.

Not doom and gloom just yet, but we don't have the luxury of being bottom of the league for long while O'Neil and his nomarks sort this out
"Not doom and gloom" whilst calling people looking for positives "deluded"?

Never left a game early and still haven’t. That was about as tough as it gets to keep that going though.

Back