• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I look forward to this happening again and again until PGMOL have decided that we've been suitably humbled.

and the independent panel says

the decision to award a match-winning injury-time penalty to Sheffield United against Wolverhampton Wanderers was also unanimously viewed to be incorrect -- the second time the VAR has incorrectly failed to overturn a spot kick against Gary O'Neil's side in consecutive weeks.

Can we have our point back please
What's the point of all this unless we get something back . It's not as if we can expect different treatment in any other match this season . VAR issues are cropping up everywhere and slowing the game down an awful lot as well .

Rob Jones still thought it was a pen after game, when he could have just said “Yes I agree Gary, but the VAR didn’t let me look at it again”.

Their arrogance (coupled with incompetence) is their problem. There’s no issue with making mistakes live, just don’t compound them after watching it again and then compound it further by sticking to it after the match when every other fucker knows it’s wrong!

That's one where Jones needs a multi week suspension and retraining. Firstly because he's a really poor referee who takes the flow out of the matches he officiates, but more because he doubled down on the decision to GON post game meaning he either doesn't understand the game or is so arrogant he can't acknowledge his mistakes.

What's the point of all this unless we get something back . It's not as if we can expect different treatment in any other match this season . VAR issues are cropping up everywhere and slowing the game down an awful lot as well .
Well they are meant to use it as learning tool I guess. "ok we got that wrong, can see what you mean. We will ensure it won't happen again"

Problem is they are learning fuck all as they have shown.

That's one where Jones needs a multi week suspension and retraining. Firstly because he's a really poor referee who takes the flow out of the matches he officiates, but more because he doubled down on the decision to GON post game meaning he either doesn't understand the game or is so arrogant he can't acknowledge his mistakes.
Like most refs in PL

When the apology arrives we should reply asking what’s being done differently this week as whatever they did last week fell on deaf ears. It really beggars belief that a referee can make an almost identical mistake against the same team two weeks running. Given the Newcastle error did the VAR ref not think “I better look at this very closely” in which case he should have reached the same conclusion as the panel.

Anyone got any idea what the annual salary is for referees - or is it based on appearances ?

Anyone got any idea what the annual salary is for referees - or is it based on appearances ?
Just checked and from a survey carried out when Mike Dean was in his last year he was the highest paid ref, earning more than Boris the PM.
In that year, the basic salary was between £70,000 to £200,000 with a match fee of £1,500 on top of that!

Last edited:

the decision to award a match-winning injury-time penalty to Sheffield United against Wolverhampton Wanderers was also unanimously viewed to be incorrect -- the second time the VAR has incorrectly failed to overturn a spot kick against Gary O'Neil's side in consecutive weeks.

Panel also said newcastles goal being given is the correct decision. Given artetas reaction/interview & the club statement I wonder how arsenal will react.

Jones & Kavannagh go home Saturday feeling contented after fucking up. Fabio goes home feeling dreadful after barely doing anything wrong in that incident.
He’s probably had shot week to, that’s the most annoying thing.
Webb seriously needs to sit down with Jones and go through why he maintained he was right after seeing it again.
I’m certain he probably didn’t think it was a penalty either after seeing it again and was to proud and arrogant to admit he was wrong.

How many points does this make - 4?

One can only learn by accepting their mistakes. Probably is, I think these guys just think they don't have anything else to learn. Or it's on purpose.

It's hard to quantify. You can definitely say 1 point from Sheff Utd. If you assume we score our penalty at Old Trafford then another 1 (we don't actually have a penalty taker right now, so who knows). Both of those are last kick of the game.

Luton and Newcastle were too far out from the end to say either way. We were awful at Luton anyway. They're also still insisting it was the right decision.

Villa should have had a very late penalty against us at Molineux thanks to Doherty being Doherty.

Back