• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

If there wasn't VAR, the points difference for this season so far would be 0.
This is true of course but if VAR (or rather its operators) were fit for purpose them potentially we could have another 6 points, even allowing for averaging out you'd expect us to have around 3 points more, thats a lot at this stage of the season for a team like Wolves.

Fucking ridiculous to say that from a bunch, say 17 or 18 squad millionaire players earning shed loads a week that we don't have one who we can rely on to score from the spot.

Fucking ridiculous to say that from a bunch, say 17 or 18 squad millionaire players earning shed loads a week that we don't have one who we can rely on to score from the spot.
Some of the best players in history have missed penalties, and some of the least technically blessed players in history have been brilliant at them too, it isn't that simple.

Just checked and from a survey carried out when Mike Dean was in his last year he was the highest paid ref, earning more than Boris the PM.
In that year, the basic salary was between £70,000 to £200,000 with a match fee of £1,500 on top of that!
I'm really surprised that there are more examples of bribery / corruption / exploitation of referees given how little they earn compared to how much money is involved in the game.

Having 0 examples, in the PL / UK anyway, seems really unusual to me.

I didn't say we didn't. We just don't have a penalty taker (that we know of) at the moment as we haven't been awarded one since Neves and Raul left.

The following finished the game at Old Trafford:
Sa
Semedo
Dawson
Kilman
H Bueno
Neto
Lemina
Nunes
Hwang
Fabio
Kalajdzic

Fabio has taken one and scored one for us, nearly 3 years ago. Fair to say you would not currently bank on him scoring any chance. That's it.

Fernando Torres was one of the best strikers in the world for a while. He is also possibly the worst penalty taker I have ever seen.

I'm really surprised that there are more examples of bribery / corruption / exploitation of referees given how little they earn compared to how much money is involved in the game.

Having 0 examples, in the PL / UK anyway, seems really unusual to me.
Was that, '...there are NOT more examples...'?

I didn't say we didn't. We just don't have a penalty taker (that we know of) at the moment as we haven't been awarded one since Neves and Raul left.

The following finished the game at Old Trafford:
Sa
Semedo
Dawson
Kilman
H Bueno
Neto
Lemina
Nunes
Hwang
Fabio
Kalajdzic

Fabio has taken one and scored one for us, nearly 3 years ago. Fair to say you would not currently bank on him scoring any chance. That's it.

Fernando Torres was one of the best strikers in the world for a while. He is also possibly the worst penalty taker I have ever seen.
But when in open play guys can seemingly arrow the ball round a defender past the outstretched arm/fingers of a diving keeper and get it in a spot equi-distant from the top of the post and the bar, with consumate ease time after fucking time, in fuck about sessions players can fairly regularly hit the bar from the centre circle yet we can't, with rising sense of excitement, have a 90% or more expectation of a player to get it past a stationery keeper into the net from 12 yards?

It was said the week after the game that Fabio would have taken the Utd pen. Given a similar situation and the same players on the pitch I doubt he'd get it now though.

If there wasn't VAR, the points difference for this season so far would be 0.
But that's looking at it wrong. The problem is not VAR itself, is it not correcting bad calls when it should have. The fact that it isn't doing what it should is what subverts the whole thing. Either it never does, and then it is useless, or it does and we need better refs anyway.
It's hard to quantify. You can definitely say 1 point from Sheff Utd. If you assume we score our penalty at Old Trafford then another 1 (we don't actually have a penalty taker right now, so who knows). Both of those are last kick of the game.

Luton and Newcastle were too far out from the end to say either way. We were awful at Luton anyway. They're also still insisting it was the right decision.

Villa should have had a very late penalty against us at Molineux thanks to Doherty being Doherty.
Sure, but we can only go on what ifs about the final result we know. Of course it could change the end of those games. But that's the same discussion as it was previously "oh, if we had gotten than penalty at 20 we would have won", or something. It's an assessment based on the end result.
Potentially 6.

1 at Man United
2 at Luton
2 v Newcastle
1 at Sheffield United
Thanks!

It was said the week after the game that Fabio would have taken the Utd pen. Given a similar situation and the same players on the pitch I doubt he'd get it now though.
He actually took his one penalty for us well. Albeit it's never a penalty.

Was ages ago though and I would never say now he has a "90% chance" of scoring one.

I don't see how you can count the Sheff U and Man U ones without deducting Villa

One of us, one of us...
I don't really have a problem with xG if you see it for what it is :D A tool to be used as a wider element of analysis.

Just it isn't "unlucky" if your xG is always at odds with your results. It means you have shit players at one or both ends of the pitch.

The xG always being 0.76 actually underlines one of the basic flaws of it as a measure. Because there's a big difference between Raul Jimenez or Nelson Semedo stepping up to take the spot kick, but it's measured the exact same way. Maybe as time moves on they might factor in who's actually taking the shot (this applies to all attempts, not just penalties), it'll be a while though.

Said it before, but a PK being 0.76 for everyone is a feature, not a bug.

Just being an ass, in any case.

I don't really have a problem with xG if you see it for what it is :D A tool to be used as a wider element of analysis.

Just it isn't "unlucky" if your xG is always at odds with your results. It means you have shit players at one or both ends of the pitch.

The xG always being 0.76 actually underlines one of the basic flaws of it as a measure. Because there's a big difference between Raul Jimenez or Nelson Semedo stepping up to take the spot kick, but it's measured the exact same way. Maybe as time moves on they might factor in who's actually taking the shot (this applies to all attempts, not just penalties), it'll be a while though.
I think the way to judge players if they are good or bad is to see if they covert at higher or lower rate than the 0.76.

It's a tiny sample size to judge one player against which in itself leads to problems but we are where we are.

It is still crude and people who say 'X will revert to the norm' piss me off to a degree which isn't normal as it's as stupid a statement as you'll ever read.

xG was a good if simplistic way to retort the "we're 8th" crowd under Lage. Essentially a statistical measure to prove what anyone who actually watched us rather than checking the league table on a Sunday morning could see. We were shit and it would only take a tiny amount of movement either way to tip the trolley over. And so it proved.

Back