• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

I said exactly this to my lad on Saturday. Hopefully Bellegarde’s unwillingness to shoot when in a good position in the first half isn’t a sign of things to come from him.
I can only really remember the one occasion where he should have had a shot - when it was crossed from the right and he tried to do some weird backheel out to Neto instead of having a pop, but then I only watched the match once so other examples may have slipped my mind?

I did try and watch the highlights on MOTD too, but they somehow managed to edit it to look like Liverpool played us off the park for the full 90.

He should have used his left foot, metaphorically he doesn't have one though. There was another example in the first half where he won a corner rather than crossing it with his left.

I'd swap him and Cunha in Jinky's suggestion

He should have used his left foot, metaphorically he doesn't have one though. There was another example in the first half where he won a corner rather than crossing it with his left.

I'd swap him and Cunha in Jinky's suggestion
Bellegarde is definitely a central player.

I can see the style we went for in the first half, ironically Klopp's 4-3-3 Gegenpress with Cunha in the Firmino role and Neto and Hwang in the wide forward roles.

It worked too and I wouldn't change it for Luton.

My worry was we looked shattered after 60 and the change to the low block counter just didn't suit any of the players we have.

Last edited:
Captain Wow rallies the troops!

“Pedro [Neto] has been brilliant, Cunha’s played really good as well, but we just need to find a way to finish our chances and score more goals. But also, in the other half [of the pitch] we need to defend the box really well, so that will come but we need to look forward to the next game.”

Will it come, Max? Because I've been watching you for years and you don't do it.

Captain Wow rallies the troops!

Will it come, Max? Because I've been watching you for years and you don't do it.
Don't laugh. I hoarded 50 off his debut/rookie Adrenalyn cards in hope he'd get an England cap and a big money move... :-(

Bellegarde is definitely a central player.

I can see the style we went for in the first half, ironically Klopp's 4-3-3 Gegenpress with Cunha in the Firmino role and Neto and Hwang in the wide forward roles.

It worked too and I wouldn't change it for Luton.

My worry was we looked shattered after 60 and the change to the low block counter just didn't shit any of the players we have.
They've looked exhausted after an hour in each of the Brighton, Palace and Liverpool games.

The second half 'collapses' are becoming very concerning. That's three games this season now.
They were concerning last season.
Under Lopetegui we lost from drawing positions or drew from winning positions to:
Man U, Villa, Bournemouth, Fulham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester and Everton.
This 'have to beat the teams around you' thing as well - under Lopetegui, of the teams that finished bottom six the only one we beat was Southampton. Losing to Leeds, Leicester and Bournemouth and drawing with Everton and Forest.

Isn't every defeat a loss from a drawing position and every win a win from one?
Sorry I maybe should have clarified these all were results of second half goals against. Being able to close games out isn't a new thing under O'Neil.

They were concerning last season.
Under Lopetegui we lost from drawing positions or drew from winning positions to:
Man U, Villa, Bournemouth, Fulham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester and Everton.
This 'have to beat the teams around you' thing as well - under Lopetegui, of the teams that finished bottom six the only one we beat was Southampton. Losing to Leeds, Leicester and Bournemouth and drawing with Everton and Forest.
Julen Lopetegui league stats first 10 games:

W4, D2, L4. 14pts

Top 10 form. Including a 3-0 win against Liverpool.

GoN has to go unbeaten against Luton, City, Bournemouth, Villa and Newcastle to match that.

Julen Lopetegui league stats first 10 games:

W4, D2, L4. 14pts

Top 10 form. Including a 3-0 win against Liverpool.

GoN has to go unbeaten against Luton, City, Bournemouth, Villa and Newcastle to match that.
Yep, then Lops following 8 games:
W2, D2, L4,
Different squad, different opposition.
Time will tell I suppose.

Back