• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

"Not doom and gloom" whilst calling people looking for positives "deluded"?

You shouldn't have to 'look for positives', they should be right there in front of you. It's up to the players and manager to provide them, just like Brighton's did.

And if looking for positives means some of the guff I've read on the matchday thread today then you can keep 'em. 'You can't see much difference between us and Brighton', 'I hope we carry on playing like this', 'at least we didn't capitulate' (that was yours ;))

Pretty huffing and puffing, massive naivety, no points again and more excuses.

I mean that was bad but it wasn't worse than what we put out against them under Lopetegui.

It feels like we have something to work with; we do have quality in this side.

Wasn't acceptable last season and wasn't acceptable today. Shite.

Matheus at the end was one of the most pathetic things I've seen since Semedo's no show at their place.

I mean that was bad but it wasn't worse than what we put out against them under Lopetegui.

No point comparing them. Lage, Lopetegui, O'Neil. Last three games against these have been a disgrace.

Never left a game early and still haven’t. That was about as tough as it gets to keep that going though.
I did on about 75 , unless things changed I'm disappointed that the anger was aimed at what was happening on the pitch rather than the Director's box. There's a real reluctance in the ground to have a go at Fosun.

As
The same old in many respects, waste chances and are brittle at the back. The biggest concern for me is Dawson looked like he was playing with clogs on. Next week is massive, just can't lose that.
I said previously, I'd be more worried about Dawson than Kilman. Low bar I know.
Ait Nouri and Sa not good enough either.

No point comparing them. Lage, Lopetegui, O'Neil. Last three games against these have been a disgrace.
That's fair.

I've not given up yet, there's 36 games left and I'd rather not be dreading every single one of them. The moment I have to think "shit, another match I have to watch", that's where I cut out. What's the fucking point if that's the mindset?

we do have quality in this side.

I should hope so, being our sixth season in the PL.

Let's stop deluding ourselves. We have quality in midfield. Up top and at the back we're no great shakes in this league, in fact up top we're probably one of the worst around

Home versus away. 29k pissed off in person rather than 2.5k

The moment I have to think "shit, another match I have to watch", that's where I cut out. What's the fucking point if that's the mindset?

Not having a go mate, but that doesn't really work for Wolves fans. I've been watching since 1988 and most of that time we've been poor to mediocre!

I did on about 75 , unless things changed I'm disappointed that the anger was aimed at what was happening on the pitch rather than the Director's box. There's a real reluctance in the ground to have a go at Fosun.
Weird isn’t it? Given I’m in the family enclosure it’s hard to pick up on the wider mood. FWIW I was pleased GON kept them out there at the end and, from the handful left, the team got supported.

Obviously, completely diabolical afternoon though.

Weird isn’t it? Given I’m in the family enclosure it’s hard to pick up on the wider mood. FWIW I was pleased GON kept them out there at the end and, from the handful left, the team got supported.

Obviously, completely diabolical afternoon though.
That’s all the easy stuff. We can all wring our hands and apologise. Much more difficult to set a team up well and win a game.

Not having a go mate, but that doesn't really work for Wolves fans. I've been watching since 1988 and most of that time we've been poor to mediocre!
I'm more talking about the mindset going into a match. Why would I want to watch a team that I've mentally accepted is shit, unlikeable, owned by morons, coached by a moron, or any/all of the above?

Nah, I'm gonna keep looking for positives because if there's one thing I don't need sport to be, it's yet another source of negative energy in my life.

I know you're not having a go at me, and nor I at you. Chalking it up to the usual post-match/post-loss emotions; always a rollercoaster innit.

I'm more talking about the mindset going into a match. Why would I want to watch a team that I've mentally accepted is shit, unlikeable, owned by morons, coached by a moron, or any/all of the above?

Nah, I'm gonna keep looking for positives because if there's one thing I don't need sport to be, it's yet another source of negative energy in my life.

I know you're not having a go at me, and nor I at you. Chalking it up to the usual post-match/post-loss emotions; always a rollercoaster innit.
Glad we didn’t capitulate though. I mean that would have been tough to watch….

The thing is Alan, you're right - but we've been football fans long enough (you included) to know that type of performance happens from sides fighting for promotion all the time. The lack of clinical finishing / attacking potential was the least of my concerns from that performance. It's purely the confidence from the back out which is the main issue. Not only is a CB a priority this window, but I think today also shows GK is too. And any new CB, I'd be starting with Toti, over either of today's options.

I know it's just one option, but I'd be hell bent on getting someone like Dean Henderson in on loan as well as getting Elvedi over the line. That's got to be the focus for the next two weeks, I'll even live with Hodge on every bench if I have too.

Last edited:
Glad we didn’t capitulate though. I mean that would have been tough to watch….
It fucking would have. I much preferred watching us at least create some openings rather than totally throw in the towel and let them grab two more.

I know you're not having a go at me, and nor I you. Chalking it up to the usual post-match/post-loss emotions; always a rollercoaster innit.

Well, I don't think the team is shit and unlikeable and I don't think O'Neil is a moron, I just haven't seen any evidence that's he's good enough. All that is realism (to me), nothing to do with putting positive or negative spins on anything.

I think shutting down criticism because it's 'negative' is nonsense. Like we all have to grin and gurn and spin everything into something fluffy. We just got buttfucked 4-1 at home and we're bottom of the first league table

The thing is Alan, you're right - but we've been football fans long enough (you included) to know that type of performance happens from sides fighting for promotion all the time. The lack of clinical finishing / attacking potential was the least of my concerns from that performance. It's purely the confidence from the back out which is the main issue. Not only is a CB a priority this window, but I think today also shows GK is too. And any new CB, I'd be starting with Toti, either of today's options.

I know it's just one option, but I'd be hell bent on getting someone like Dean Henderson in on loan as well as getting Elvedi over the line. That's got to be the focus for the next two weeks, I'll even live with Hodge on every bench if I have too.
I should be clear, I think; my statement of "we have quality" does not preclude my previous stance that Fosun spending absolutely fucking nothing this summer is indefensible, even for a gullible line-biter like me.

Back