• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

When your back 4 defend that bad and your expensive forwards / “attacking FB” miss extremely presentable chances then I don’t think it matters who your manager is. (And the keeper being a disaster zone).

Why Kilman, Dawson, Semedo and RAN all took it in turns to not be goalside of the forward I don’t know.

Fabio won’t get a more presentable 1v1. Favourable angle, plenty of time, not a defender in sight. Even sent the keeper the wrong way but if you pass it in you run the risk of hitting that trailing leg. 6 inches off the floor and it’s in. Score that and who knows what happens.

This is the nail on the head.

This is the Premier League, mediocrity will be found out, and it's why gambling on a novice is such a huge long shot.

Most PL clubs will have periods of decent play in a game, difference between the poor teams and the rest is they'll almost always come out of those spells with nothing to show for it, then get punished when the pendulum swings.

I don't think GON is incompetent, but does he have that little extra about him to make a difference in games?
I didn’t see the game as away with the wife. From what I’ve read / listened to, we were fine apart from a mad 10 minutes after half time.

Those who watched, or were there, was that down to poor management?

This isn’t a ‘leave GON alone’ moment, just curious as against United we played well, albeit came away with no points. Today there seems to be a lot of people saying again we played well apart from a mad 10 mins?

Interested to hear peoples thoughts who watched it.

When your back 4 defend that bad and your expensive forwards / “attacking FB” miss extremely presentable chances then I don’t think it matters who your manager is. (And the keeper being a disaster zone).

Why Kilman, Dawson, Semedo and RAN all took it in turns to not be goalside of the forward I don’t know.

Fabio won’t get a more presentable 1v1. Favourable angle, plenty of time, not a defender in sight. Even sent the keeper the wrong way but if you pass it in you run the risk of hitting that trailing leg. 6 inches off the floor and it’s in. Score that and who knows what happens.
Suprised to see the 1v1 wasn’t even on skys highlights!

Goal 1 take him fucking down and take the Yellow Card
FFS Ran stop jogging next to him run across push him, tug him get the right side of him

Too fucking nice.

3 fucking times running and letting them dictate where they are tunning

I didn’t see the game as away with the wife. From what I’ve read / listened to, we were fine apart from a mad 10 minutes after half time.

This isn’t a ‘leave GON alone’ moment, just curious as against United we played well, albeit came away with no points. Today there seems to be a lot of people saying again we played well apart from a mad 10 mins?

I think there were a few tactical mishaps: two man midfield, high press, and of course he takes blame for that. But apart from 10 minutes either half we weren’t overwhelmingly dreadful. Brighton just made it count for me.

I think there were a few tactical mishaps: two man midfield, high press, and of course he takes blame for that. But apart from 10 minutes either half we weren’t overwhelmingly dreadful. Brighton just made it count for me.
Il have to wait for the highlights obviously. Disappointing nonetheless

Il have to wait for the highlights obviously. Disappointing nonetheless

Very. If you look at the xG (and believe in that kind of thing) we were neck and neck - both teams had 16 shots, we had 5 on target and Brighton 8.

But we need to start finishing and soon, otherwise we will revert back to being a conservative clusterfuck to watch.

Unless GON,'s instructions at HT were to go out for the second half and hand them the game, I can't see how it was GON's fault.

The defending was poor for the second goal and then heads dropped and we were punished.

The fault for me lies with the players, they didn't show up for the second half until they were four goals down.

Unless GON,'s instructions at HT were to go out for the second half and hand them the game, I can't see how it was GON's fault.

The defending was poor for the second goal and then heads dropped and we were punished.

The fault for me lies with the players, they didn't show up for the second half until they were four goals down.
We went for it, and left massive gaps in the middle.

We need more in midfield, probably should have gone for an extra man in midfield

We went for it, and left massive gaps in the middle.

We need more in midfield, probably should have gone for an extra man in midfield
Surely we didn’t ‘go for it’ in the first 90 seconds though? If we did, then that is definitely moronic

Do you think it was all down to the Brighton players with no credit to De Zerbi when they suddenly changed gears and blew us away like a pub team in 10 mins?

I think the interesting part of the week is Guo hates to be humiliated, it's ultimately what cost Lambert his job. Have a feeling someone will be the fall guy for today...not the manager. I know who I hope it will be. If they choose to spend money it'll just be more Mendes over the odds ineffective shit like Fati, can't see it though.

I wouldn't explicitly criticise O'Neil today, I would highlight that first 15 mins of the second half as an example of what a good manager does though.

Before all the Lopetegui and FFP shenanigans, I said I wanted 2CH's, RB, wide forward, keeper and centre forward. The managing of expectations hasn't stopped any of that being true in terms of what the team needs

Do you think it was all down to the Brighton players with no credit to De Zerbi when they suddenly changed gears and blew us away like a pub team in 10 mins?
I'd credit the Brighton coach and team for grabbing the initiative for the second goal, but every Wolves player just gave up for the next ten minutes after that.

I'll not join the pile on bashing GON this week, just as I didn't join in with the GON soggy biscuit game on Monday.

Brighton continue to be our bogey side. That's my stupidly ridiculous assumption of today.

TT, I think 2 CHs is the bare minimum we need. Kilman is a liability all of the time, Dawson a liability some of the time. I don't mind going forward with Semedo as RB, he was excellent on Monday, less so today admittedly, but far from the weakest link. We definitely need a natural goalscorer but so do about 66% of teams in the PL. Our wide forwards are just okay, they do half a job, you just wouldn't put money on any of them chipping in with many goals. Therein lies our perpetual struggle. Goals, or lack of them. We simply don't score even when in a good position to do so. When Hwang looks like your most likely goalscorer then you're in big, big trouble.

I'd credit the Brighton coach and team for grabbing the initiative for the second goal, but every Wolves player just gave up for the next ten minutes after that.

I'll not join the pile on bashing GON this week, just as I didn't join in with the GON soggy biscuit game on Monday.

I'm not exclusively bashing GON at all, I also don't think he's above his share of fair criticism.

You saying the Brighton coach and team deserve credit for those 10 mins, but only the Wolves team deserve criticism for them doesn't seem that fair to me

Back