• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

I'm not exclusively bashing GON at all, I also don't think he's above his share of fair criticism.

You saying the Brighton coach and team deserve credit for those 10 mins, but only the Wolves team deserve criticism for them doesn't seem that fair to me
It seems fair to me. De Zerbi and BHA smelled blood and went for the jugular.

The players on the pitch capitulated, not GON.

Nope. Players were just caught napping.
Nope, De Zerbi saw the gaps we were leaving, highlighted our weaknesses and exploited them from the start of the second half.

The rest of our xG nonsense was delivered when they were 4-0 up. They shut up shop on 60 minutes and played on the counter.

They'd already won at that point.

It's what good managers do. Although GoN didn't change anything at HT whatever he delivered was the wrong message but Kilman as an on pitch leader was a disgrace. Passive and lacked on traits of leadership

We have a hapless (not his fault) manager and a coward for a leader.

Therein lies our perpetual struggle. Goals, or lack of them. We simply don't score even when in a good position to do so.

Well... unfortunately we probably aren't signing anyone, and if we're looking to improve what we already have through coaching, we've just traded our multi million pound coaching staff for Shaun Derry and a couple of PE teachers 😉

It seems fair to me. De Zerbi and BHA smelled blood and went for the jugular.

The players on the pitch capitulated, not GON.

Oh, OK.

If I were GON I'd have stayed in the dressing room for another 15 mins then and had an extra cup of tea and a couple more of Hwang's biscuits, for all the difference you're saying he'd have made

Complete wanker.

Saying the team weren't prepared for the start of the season and not working to a high standard is a cunts trick.

Lop had us playing well in pre-season.

Then saying parts of the performance were pleasing is just sounding like Lage

Another nail in the GoN coffin.

Oh, OK.

If I were GON I'd have stayed in the dressing room for another 15 mins then and had an extra cup of tea and a couple more of Hwang's biscuits, for all the difference you're saying he'd have made
So GON says "concentrate, keep it tight, win your individual battles" the team then lose their individual battles, keep it loose & lack concentration, and it's GON's fault.

I'm not feeling like I need talking down from a ledge after today. We were beaten badly by a team who, on their day, are one of the best 4 attacking teams in the division. And they play in a way that we as a team, for some reason seemingly more than many teams, find difficult to cope with. The good news is that if you drew up the subset of teams that play that way, they are the only team in it. It's a subset of 1. So disappointed as I am, I'm not shocked and I can rationalise this defeat. If it becomes a trend, feel free to push me off the ledge.

I'm not feeling like I need talking down from a ledge after today. We were beaten badly by a team who, on their day, are one of the best 4 attacking teams in the division. And they play in a way that we as a team, for some reason seemingly more than many teams, find difficult to cope with. The good news is that if you drew up the subset of teams that play that way, they are the only team in it. It's a subset of 1. So disappointed as I am, I'm not shocked and I can rationalise this defeat. If it becomes a trend, feel free to push me off the ledge.
Yeah, basically where I’m at. Overwhelming feeling that Brighton can and will beat the pants off of better sides than us.

So GON says "concentrate, keep it tight, win your individual battles" the team then lose their individual battles, keep it loose & lack concentration, and it's GON's fault.

Well, if all a coach in the best league in the world could muster up was cliche-ridden guff like that then no wonder we got our arses kicked

Complete wanker.

Saying the team weren't prepared for the start of the season and not working to a high standard is a cunts trick.

Lop had us playing well in pre-season.

Then saying parts of the performance were pleasing is just sounding like Lage

Another nail in the GoN coffin.
You're entitled to feel that way, but I get the feeling he could have us playing like 1970 Brazil and you'd criticise him. Your mind is made up. Fair enough. I'm willing to give him more than 2 games.

Really don’t understand how anyone could watch that today and not be very worried. They cut through us at will, we looked naive, confused and ill-prepared. Very glad I spent nearly a grand to watch this.

Well, if all a coach in the best league in the world could muster up was cliche-ridden guff like that then no wonder we got our arses kicked
We don't know what he said but we're fairly certain his team talk wasn't -

"good half lads, unlucky not to score, I want you to start the second half as if you've never met each other before and you're all pissed up on scrumpy, and completely fuck everything up".

You're entitled to feel that way, but I get the feeling he could have us playing like 1970 Brazil and you'd criticise him. Your mind is made up. Fair enough. I'm willing to give him more than 2 games.
Not at all. We lost today in a fairly appalling manner in the second half and he's blaming the players for not being ready and the previous management team for not getting them ready. He then has the gall to say if everything was going well he wouldn't be here.

Fuck that shit, he hasn't stepped into a situation where we were rock bottom after 12 games.

He's put us bottom, nobody else. He needs to take some responsibility.

We don't know what he said but we're fairly certain his team talk wasn't -

"good half lads, unlucky not to score, I want you to start the second half as if you've never met each other before and you're all pissed up on scrumpy, and completely fuck everything up".
No, it was - right, everyone stand on the right including you mr LB and we’ll then kick it to our left.

Genius.

Yeah, basically where I’m at. Overwhelming feeling that Brighton can and will beat the pants off of better sides than us.

I mean, we're bottom of the league, so define 'better'

I've a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot more variations of this excuse as the season progresses.

Dycheball excuse next up?

I mean, we're bottom of the league, so define 'better'

I've a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot more variations of this excuse as the season progresses.

Dycheball excuse next up?
It's two matches tbf, we were top of the league after two matches in 2011/2012.

There are 36 matches left. That is a lot of football.

I will say that O'Neil's post-match comments are not building a good case for him.

Unless GON,'s instructions at HT were to go out for the second half and hand them the game, I can't see how it was GON's fault.

The defending was poor for the second goal and then heads dropped and we were punished.

The fault for me lies with the players, they didn't show up for the second half until they were four goals down.

Make no bones about it.

The players didn't show up when we had chances and then didn't show up at the other end. It isn't limited to the start of the second half, or indeed today's game.

Said to the daughter Nunes was going to get sent off in the first half, when arguing with the ref, also said will see if players can raise their game against lesser sides after a very good performance in the shop window at old Trafford.

Jury still out, we had some decent parts and some abysmal moments today, first 15 mins after half time killed us.

Hope the following isn’t too negative. As it happens I take a pretty dim view of what I consider negative behaviour in the ground. I’ve never left early, never booed the team, don’t even like nicking out early for half time and, for the good it does, only try to applaud and shout something encouraging for players and managers, whatever I might think of them. Trying to read the positive into the latest team lineup and think about how it could work is also what I can’t help feeling, no matter the hard evidence. I agree that, without that or some other kind of hope, what’s the point. I also try and make my kids follow the same ‘code of conduct’ - I mean, why bother otherwise, especially if you’re a Wolves fan for life. It’s a big expense and effort to make it to the games, so let’s enjoy it.

That addressed… I’m with Tredman’s post above made while typing. Very worried. I’m really struggling to see where the leadership is going to come from to turn this trend around. I quite like how O’Neil comes across, seems like a nice chap, but also agree that those post-match comments are a bit inappropriate. On the pitch it can surely on be an illogical outcome of various strategies that Kilman is our captain - that feels like and awful one to have to unpick. Even if we didn’t address all the signings in positions TT lists, at least keeper, CH and forward are obvious necessities? Just got back from the match to type this and a bit downbeat TBH. Everton feels like a big ask, shame one of our best players got himself banned for it for no good reason whatsoever.

Back