• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

League Cup 2018/19

Am I the only person who thinks we might field a strong(ish) team and have a go in the League Cup this year?

Am I the only person who thinks we might field a strong(ish) team and have a go in the League Cup this year?
Yep. Maybe if we get through a couple of rounds, but not for this one. Too important a league game a few days later and as I said earlier a good chance we'll only have 1 point going into it

Don't think any of the leper squad will feature whatever happens (even if you could argue that German Phil is better than Danish Oskar, Zyro is better than Ashley-Seal etc).
Probably right, the game is so late in august it won't even serve as a proverbial "shop window".

He's very definitely behind Goncalves in the pecking order for a CM spot and didn't appear to come into contention at all for any first team games in pre-season. Really I don't want him to be at the club by the time we play a League Cup tie, I want him to be out on loan at a Champ/L1 club who'll use him properly so we can assess where he is in 6-12 months.

I feel sorry for Ronan. Last season I think you could tell Nuno rated him as a player he just didn't really fit the system, so he needed games and that didn't really work out either as we sent him to the one person we definitely knew wouldn't use him correctly... he was brilliant when he came on against Southampton in the cup and really changed the game in our favour. Even at City he did okay when he came on.

This season is really important he gets consistent games at a good level. I'd hate for us to end up releasing him, he can play at Championship level minimum I think.

I guess it depends whether you are planning for a World without Nuno. Ronan could play in a 433, 4231 at a decent level maybe even PL, but I don't see him ever playing in a 343. Do you hold on to him for a point in the future which may never come or let him go and build a career elsewhere with a heavy sell on clause?

We keep giving Sylvain Deslandes and Aaron Hayden new contracts so highly unlikely we'll just release him.

Doncaster, Leeds or Sunderland away would be good... I don't want Boro or Newcastle though

Yep - I would think we will look after the nucleus of the 1st team to keep fresh (and fit) for the Prem.

Yep. Maybe if we get through a couple of rounds, but not for this one. Too important a league game a few days later and as I said earlier a good chance we'll only have 1 point going into it

I imagine it will be the 7 subs from the previous game (unless he plans to start them in the next game, even still he might favour 60 mins to get them sharp) plus a few of the squad players who didn’t/aren’t making the bench (Batth, Bright, maybe German Phil)

It will be a complete 2nd 11 with a couple of gamechangers on the bench

I think it will be a strong side. Laurie clearly said that targeting the cups was part of our strategy. Not full strength (unless we draw a Villa or the Shit) but pretty damn close to it.

We literally never have weekday games now so there’s no excuse to not have a go. Think the draw will influence how strong the team is

I think it will be a strong side. Laurie clearly said that targeting the cups was part of our strategy. Not full strength (unless we draw a Villa or the Shit) but pretty damn close to it.

I reckon so. We already have eight less league games this season and Nuno was hardly one to chop and change over a 46 game season so why not go for it?

Away to the winner of tonight's match

They're both crap, they both have bigger fish to fry, our reserves should beat their reserves.

They're both crap, they both have bigger fish to fry, our reserves should beat their reserves.

Yep, I would agree.

We should think of these games as glorified friendlies

Next season will be different but for now we have much bigger priorities

Back