• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 0-0 Wolves We've been roobbed Verdict thread:

I'd best not look. I'll get lost in it for at least a week

I love classics so it is the sort of thing that appeals to me. I'm odd like that. Greek is more my real area but I still read the latin classics too.

On this "break" (never more fucking aptly named) I am devouring the Iliad and the Odyssey plus a nice bit of Herodotus.

I also bought Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone in Ancient Greek and am translating it back*

*this is fucking sadder than the emperor sad of the sad people from sad land. I don't deny it. I'm proud of my nerd levels

Studied The Iliad at college. Should really grab Odyssey and might have read it by 2030

The Harry Potter thing is class :icon_lol:

No the audio won't ever be available. It would potentially undermine the system realistically so I am sure it is hidden away never to be seen.

Nice to hear about your erudite fascination with ancient literature. I also picture you as a fanatical supporter of Welsh rugby. So how do you account for the fact that in first-class rugby the readily available audio of referees' conversations with the TMO, together with the regular video replays being visible on stadium screens, is not perceived as undermining the refereeing/TMO system (which in football is called VAR)?

If I am honest I think it is more to do with the perception of the crowd across the two sports rather than anything else. So maybe "undermine the system" is me being polite for not wanting to cause potential issues.

Now let me make it quite clear I love being part of a crowd at both sports, and the distinction should be a nonsense. But I would wager that is where the perceived reasoning would be.

I really REALLY would much prefer the Rugby situation where you hear the referee thoughts, especially on "can you give me any reason not to award that try" or maybe "can you please check the grounding or offside". Everybody knows where they stand. It's clear as day.

I think as I type here, so maybe I am now beginning to change from the first line above. Rugby referees don't mind being wrong now. They are happy for things to be checked and challenged. As do cricket umpires. I think AS IT STANDS we have a long way to go before the PGMOL are going to feel the same in football. Maybe in the future, who knows.

Thanks for your honest answer. Rationally, I see no reason why video replays cannot be used in football to the same efficient level as they are in rugby and cricket. But I also think the culture of football will make it difficult. Maybe in 8-10 years, we'll all appreciate the advantages that a steady and consistent VAR brings to first-class football. So I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with you and expressing the hope that football referees will one day not mind being open to correction when so much is at stake.

It'll be interesting to see how many 'mistakes' are corrected eg red cards and penalties overturned versus things refs/linesmen missed/didn't see. The 3 at the weekend went into the latter category

And, by the way, Marriner's display on Saturday was disgraceful. I guess he can't referee Wolves fairly when Villa are in the same division.

It'll be interesting to see how many 'mistakes' are corrected eg red cards and penalties overturned versus things refs/linesmen missed/didn't see. The 3 at the weekend went into the latter category

Well, we did see Martin Atkinson's red card for Lindalof overturned in the 6th round FA Cup last season but I appreciate the point you are making. I think VAR truly has to count at moments that are crucial to the game's outcome, such as, penalties, red cards.

And, by the way, Marriner's display on Saturday was disgraceful. I guess he can't referee Wolves fairly when Villa are in the same division.

Isn't it strange that he was the best referee of our games last season when they were not. Sad but true as Mr Hetfield says...

Thanks for your honest answer. Rationally, I see no reason why video replays cannot be used in football to the same efficient level as they are in rugby and cricket. But I also think the culture of football will make it difficult. Maybe in 8-10 years, we'll all appreciate the advantages that a steady and consistent VAR brings to first-class football. So I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with you and expressing the hope that football referees will one day not mind being open to correction when so much is at stake.

In his last game this Australian ref was miced up. I think it sounded great [video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aussie+referee+miced+up&view=detail&mid=52499E92D9ECCA141F9A52499E92D9ECCA141F9A&FORM=VIRE[/video]

In his last game this Australian ref was miced up. I think it sounded great [video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=aussie+referee+miced+up&view=detail&mid=52499E92D9ECCA141F9A52499E92D9ECCA141F9A&FORM=VIRE[/video]

Agreed. I've been a fan of the mic'd up rugby refs for some time and I like the idea of being able to hear the ref's thought processes in explaining a decision instead of the crowd being in the dark as to why a certain decision has been made. Food for thought?

Agreed. I've been a fan of the mic'd up rugby refs for some time and I like the idea of being able to hear the ref's thought processes in explaining a decision instead of the crowd being in the dark as to why a certain decision has been made. Food for thought?

I mean, it's an absolute no-brainer. I can only assume the players/PFA/clubs don't want it because people won't be able to get away with running up the ref and shouting "FUCK OFF" in his face any more.

They tried it with David Ellary in the mid nineties in an Arsenal match. The results were a bit blue.

Championship I think.

Will never happen here, the game would be shamed to the point it probably affected sponsorships

There's no reason why the woman announcer they have can't state the reason why a goal has been ruled out.

"Goal disallowed. Accidental handball"

It really is that simple.

There's no reason why the woman announcer they have can't state the reason why a goal has been ruled out.

"Goal disallowed. Accidental handball"

It really is that simple.

Yep that would be helpful. They've been doing that sort of thing at major rugby games for years too by putting text on big the screen to explain what decision has been made - mainly to cater for daytrippers who don't understand the laws (e.g. "Penalty - tackler not rolling away" etc).

I love the Ref-Link boxes at Twickenham. The prices are a little extortionate but by the time I get there I'm 5 or 6 pints in so a bit busy with the wallet anyway.

Back