• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (A) 29/12 Build-Up & Match Thread

Not my fault it is wrong.

It's been explained to you several times now that you're misinterpreting it and you're still holdin on. OK. :icon_lol:

I imagine wolves will have more points after this week. curious to see how it looks come week end.

The stuff Taylor told Coady about being too far away was just him shutting down the chat. VAR just didn't look at the start of the move and then came out with the not clear enough to say hand ball or not to cover their behinds.

It’s all just so wrong

Will also admit when i'm wrong and it does seem from watching it back on sky that the ref didn't blow until the ball hit the net but Van Dijk definitely handles it in the build up and i'm not having it's too far away as his ball puts lallana in behind. On to Watford and we'll let our football do the talking. Still fucking fuming though.

Sky showed the VVD 'handball' and it was near his arms but didn't touch them. It's a non-event.

Shame that a great performance is overshadowed by more var controversy. So many areas of contention with calls like went against us today. No idea what fps footage they use at stockley park but if its the footage we see at home,i dont think it is ever precisely clear the exact moment the ball is struck, which makes it next to impossiblle to guarantee that all of these fine margin calls are correct. As it currently stands, if a defender has a striker on his shoulders and leans forward its almost guaranteed the striker will have part of his body offside. Thats not moving the game forward, thats going back to favouring defenders which is why the old offside rules were changed in the first place. The only thing that will make any of this more palatable is another rule change. I think Sounness suggestion is the most sensible ive heard,you are onside if ANY part of the attacker is onside

Haven't seen VVD handball but tbh I could stomach one going against us, but two today? VAR can fuck right off. Coady is right, we're getting done over worse than anyone else by this bollocks and I'm sick of it. It's being implemented so badly that I want done with it now. So congrats everyone, you've taken something which should be fairly easy to improve the game and you've somehow made it so much worse.

Special mention to Carragher somehow giving TAA MOTM after Vini destroyed him repeatedly. Gently suggest there's no way he should be commentating on Liverpool games.

VAR is a solved problem in most sport. It is genuinely astonishing how badly PGMOL have fucked this implementation up.

Home. Still disappointed I can't go to a game and watch the game I enjoy anymore.

One issue I have with VAR is it was brought in for a problem that didn't really exist, most decisions were correct pre-VAR. The drive for VAR was driven by faux outrage and a media drive for the bigger clubs.

Anyway, it is what it is, the PL is tarnished but we've still got the Europa League (until the final when VAR costs us the cup with a bullshit VAR decision...)

Before today (and City game)
447f8708bfab48886c2d35ad0839f8d5.jpg

Slept on it and still absolutely boiling, this one is too hard to take. If the ball didn’t touch VVD’s arm then Lallana’s contact should have been ruled out as per Boly against Leicester, the difference being Boly knew nothing about it while Lallana’s was intentional. Disgusting double standards. The fact they didn’t even look at VVD’s then gave TWO separate reasons as to why it was dismissed just proves how bent they are.

As for the ‘offside’ that’s just a fucking farce. I can’t look beyond that being the call of a bent group of officials. It probably is a tin foil hat theory but it does look like absolutely everything and everyone are against us at the moment and to have Friday’s shenanigans closely followed by the shambles at LiVARpool it really doesn’t look good. For the captain of a club to go on live TV and tell it like it is then it’s a damning indictment of what the PGMOL are doing.

As for the team we couldn’t have asked any more, we outplayed them and the second half just showed how fucking good we really are. We are top four material no two ways about it. Everybody can crow about Leicester all they like and what a brilliant job Brentdan is doing but I wouldn’t swap for the world. Nuno is a genius and our players are heroes. Neto, Vinagre, Kilman and Bennett all came in yesterday and played out of their skins, it’s a testament to the coaching and mentality within the club. I’d say we have a chance of breaking the top four next season, we’re that good, but the PGMOL won’t let it happen.

I’ll go back to Everton’s 2nd goal back at the start of the season, we didn’t get the lines or long delay for that when it looked very borderline.
As people have said VAR was bought in for so called clear and obvious errors. Had any of the goals that were chalked off this weekend had been given not one complaint would be made.
As I bang on about the technology isn’t advanced enough to make such minute calls and look at the angle they used is not completely side on.
Simply use the naked eye instead of getting these stupid lines out.

I've watched the game now and can say that it is not conclusive that VVD handled the ball and it was clear that the ball hit Lallana's shoulder. So I hve not difficulty with the Sane goal being awarded, but the referee clearly decided to disallow it. The decision to disallow Neto's goal has no evidentiary basis at all. When the ball was kicked in the direction of Jonny, he was level with Robertson and therefore onside. Moreover, there was nothing about the build-up to the goal that registered a clear and obvious error by the referee and/or his assistant. Therefore the goal most definitely should have stood, and to disallow it was a serious injustice, the kind that VAR was introduced to eradicate. It almost seemed as if Simon Hooper was looking for a reason to disallow the goal, and if that is true, he should never act as a referee again. He doesn't do too well any way. The championship is his ceiling!

Which brings me to what I think is seriously wrong with the operation of VAR in the PL. If you compare VAR with rugby's TMO, the on-field referee always communicates his on-field decision to the TMO. The TMO, in analyzing the situation that the on-field referee has requested him to look at, then discusses the incident with the on-field referee (with the incident being displayed on the stadium screen) and makes a recommendation to the on-field referee who may or may not agree with what is recommended. Hence the on-field referee is always in charge of the ultimate decision. In football, we have VAR, which stands for video assistant referee, implying that the on-field referee is always in charge. But that is only in name. With the modus operandi that Mike Riley and colleagues have chosen, the referee is no longer in charge of the ultimate decision but can be over ruled by an AR using video. Hence, we have a situation in which referees' judgment is being undermined by ARs who lack experience both as video analysts and as active referees in the middle. It is a hugely problematic state of affairs that is now beginning to ruin the game. I'm a firm believer in using video technology in football to bring justice to the game when referees have missed something consequential. But I think this current version is so flawed that it would be better for the game if it were binned so that a more authentic and purposeful use of video technology could be developed over the next two to three years. And don't practice VAR on the PL but test it out on less competitive games so that the actual VARs can develop some skill and confidence in what they are supposed to do. The decision to disallow the Wolves goal today was an absolute disgrace and PGMOL needs to clean its house and get its affairs in order.

Slept on it and still absolutely boiling, this one is too hard to take. If the ball didn’t touch VVD’s arm then Lallana’s contact should have been ruled out as per Boly against Leicester, the difference being Boly knew nothing about it while Lallana’s was intentional. Disgusting double standards. The fact they didn’t even look at VVD’s then gave TWO separate reasons as to why it was dismissed just proves how bent they are.

As for the ‘offside’ that’s just a fucking farce. I can’t look beyond that being the call of a bent group of officials. It probably is a tin foil hat theory but it does look like absolutely everything and everyone are against us at the moment and to have Friday’s shenanigans closely followed by the shambles at LiVARpool it really doesn’t look good. For the captain of a club to go on live TV and tell it like it is then it’s a damning indictment of what the PGMOL are doing.

As for the team we couldn’t have asked any more, we outplayed them and the second half just showed how fucking good we really are. We are top four material no two ways about it. Everybody can crow about Leicester all they like and what a brilliant job Brentdan is doing but I wouldn’t swap for the world. Nuno is a genius and our players are heroes. Neto, Vinagre, Kilman and Bennett all came in yesterday and played out of their skins, it’s a testament to the coaching and mentality within the club. I’d say we have a chance of breaking the top four next season, we’re that good, but the PGMOL won’t let it happen.

Great post, agree with all of it.

The disallowed goal was the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning. I am still so annoyed by what football has become.

All I am waiting for now is for Mike Riley to come out and say how well the system is working and how pleased he is with the results...

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it's interesting that two of the teams who are threatening the so-called 'Big 6' - Wolves and the Blades - are the two teams that have had the most VAR decisions go against them.

Personally, I don't think there is any bias involved. It's just a shit system that has been implemented terribly.

Liverpool have had a couple of shocking offside decisions go against them too. The one against Villa was an awful decision.

Back