• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (H) 15/3 - Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t sure of the best place to post this in - as the Jose/Silva debate has been discussed in umpteen threads (was anyone aware Deutsch isn’t a fan?). But I’ll stick it in here. There was an interesting discussion on the Molineux View podcast this week on the comparison between what Jose & Fabio offer us, and why it’s likely Jose will continue to be picked to start.

Firstly, lets start by saying Fabio has more shots than WJ.

Jose is averaging 1.5 shots per 90 minutes. Fabio is averaging 3 shots per 90 minutes.

They have played roughly the same amount of minutes.

So WJ needs to shoot more. However, it’s the rest of the overall game where WJ has made an impact.

Jose’s pass completion rate in the final third is 82%. Fabio’s is 57% i.e. Fabio is giving the ball away in the final third and losing possession for the team a lot more. Essentially, WJ is far better at holding the ball up and bringing teammates in to play than Fabio currently is.

WJ has won 47% of his duels (tackles) & he’s won 50% of his headers.

Fabio has won 35% of his duels & only 31% of his headers.

The stats suggest Jose is stronger, he links play better, he’s retaining possession better - and despite Fabio having more shots per 90, he’s only scored once from open play.

There’s a decent balance there between Jose starting matches and Fabio coming on when we are perhaps chasing a match or trying to get a goal. It certainly paints a fairer picture of why Nuno is, and will continue to, pick Jose ahead of Fabio - at least for the time being. Regardless of how many threads DW can slate him in!

Would I spend £22m on him in the summer? No. Is he the better option for now? Yes.

Last edited:
I heard that, but percentages without context are meaningless. 82% of what number of passes?

I agree with your point about overall totals being needed, but we all have the context of having watched the games. I would continue to start Jose, Silva looked slightly better but he is still too slow and doesn't hold or link the play, the way Jose occasionally does.

I'd start Jose as well. Fabio coming on and looking better is being used as a reason to put him back him, for me it's a reason for him to carry on doing what he's doing, but maybe come on earlier. I just don't think percentages without context is a good way to argue that

Aerial stats : Both win 1.8 aerial duals per match but Silva loses a lot more. I think it's fair to say that if WJ competed in more duels then he'd win more than Silva. My other thought is why on earth are we putting Silva in a place where he is exposed to far more aerial duels than WJ.

My view, from a purely stats perspective is that were more likely to score with Silva on the pitch.

Edit. Silva has a non penalty combined expected goal and assist of 0.4 per 90

WJ has 0.14 per 90

For comparison Neves has 0.18 per 90

None of that really means much though. We are playing park the bus, give it to Neto and hope for the best. He’s not going to have many shots/assists in this scenario. Yes he doesn’t get into positions to receive the ball and shoot either.

Fabio played a lot of games in a back 4 where we were trying to score goals, and games like Albion where we had like 30 shots will massively skew the data in a small sample.

Let’s be honest, they’ve both been pretty awful - I was actually cringing watching Silva in those first few games - it was horrible.

Let’s play Corbeanu - he, honestly, can’t be any worse than the other two. It’s not like we’ve got anything to play for, and we’re not buying Jose.

If he completes no passes, misses open goals, has no pace or strength - we’re no worse off, really.

He isn't anything like suitable for Premier League football as it stands, wouldn't get a game in League One in all likelihood. He's playing at a shite level in Academy football, as I've said before, Benny Ashley-Seal excelled in that league.

Wasn’t sure of the best place to post this in - as the Jose/Silva debate has been discussed in umpteen threads (was anyone aware Deutsch isn’t a fan?). But I’ll stick it in here. There was an interesting discussion on the Molineux View podcast this week on the comparison between what Jose & Fabio offer us, and why it’s likely Jose will continue to be picked to start.

Firstly, lets start by saying Fabio has more shots than WJ.

Jose is averaging 1.5 shots per 90 minutes. Fabio is averaging 3 shots per 90 minutes.

They have played roughly the same amount of minutes.

So WJ needs to shoot more. However, it’s the rest of the overall game where WJ has made an impact.

Jose’s pass completion rate in the final third is 82%. Fabio’s is 57% i.e. Fabio is giving the ball away in the final third and losing possession for the team a lot more. Essentially, WJ is far better at holding the ball up and bringing teammates in to play than Fabio currently is.

WJ has won 47% of his duels (tackles) & he’s won 50% of his headers.

Fabio has won 35% of his duels & only 31% of his headers.

The stats suggest Jose is stronger, he links play better, he’s retaining possession better - and despite Fabio having more shots per 90, he’s only scored once from open play.

There’s a decent balance there between Jose starting matches and Fabio coming on when we are perhaps chasing a match or trying to get a goal. It certainly paints a fairer picture of why Nuno is, and will continue to, pick Jose ahead of Fabio - at least for the time being. Regardless of how many threads DW can slate him in!

Would I spend £22m on him in the summer? No. Is he the better option for now? Yes.
He isn't?? I wouldn't have guessed it. :ROFLMAO:

Let’s be honest, they’ve both been pretty awful - I was actually cringing watching Silva in those first few games - it was horrible.

Let’s play Corbeanu - he, honestly, can’t be any worse than the other two. It’s not like we’ve got anything to play for, and we’re not buying Jose.

If he completes no passes, misses open goals, has no pace or strength - we’re no worse off, really.
Fucking hell. Show some fucking patience with Fabio, he was supposed to be an occasional sub this season and is a project.

Cringe is a good word to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back