• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd (A) 14/8 - Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our opening day scorers (in reverse order, one entry per player) since 1993:

Podence
Jimenez
Saiss
Neves
Bonatini
Bödvarsson
Saville
Edwards
Afobe
Fletcher
Ward
Jones
Vokes
Kightly
Olofinjana
Doumbé (OG)
Miller
Iversen
Roussel
Newton
Ketsbaia
Keane
Curle
Bull
Goodman
Froggatt
Mountfield

Personally, I'd be happy with what we've got. If we pick up a few injuries it starts to look a bit bare but there are more pressing needs in other areas and we've got fuck all to spend.
31 goals in 38 last season, I'd say our attack is the most critical.

Can we trust Sasa not to get crocked again? Cunha's goal scoring record is dismal, and then there's Fabio, who knows.

Can we trust Sasa not to get crocked again? Cunha's goal scoring record is dismal, and then there's Fabio, who knows.

We barely created more than 1 decent chance a game last year. If we continue to create like we have the last 2 friendlies then we'll score plenty.

As much as I agree, that is t just solved by buying a new player. Majority would’ve struggled last year in our team.

Lop has had a full pre season, and it seems a lot of patterns of play are emerging making us more creative, which should lead to more goals.

The remit for lop when he took the reigns would’ve been ‘keep us up, then go from there’

Thinking the same as others that he'll go with Cunha as striker and someone else up there, maybe Sarabia so he can fit Neto and Nunes in wide

If so then I can't see Fabio getting much game time as soon it will be Sasa there. Might be pushing for a loan hence his comments saying he's still not sure what club he'll be playing for this season. Feel like they would have told him he's stopping unless they planned to replace him and then he'd say that. Probably reading too much into it

He will get more gametime here than he got at PSV last season

Same XI as last week except swap Collins for Kilman.

I want Bueno to start over Ait-Nouri, and agree the 4-2-3-1 with Cunha behing Fabio is a better balanced formation than a 4-4-2 with Cunha in the main striker/forward position.

Same XI as last week except swap Collins for Kilman.

I want Bueno to start over Ait-Nouri, and agree the 4-2-3-1 with Cunha behing Fabio is a better balanced formation than a 4-4-2 with Cunha in the main striker/forward position.
I’ve spotted a fatal flaw in your plan

It's perhaps telling that a lot of players in the first Team squad could just come in without much of a drop off.

What's worrying is outwith the 15 / 16 players we have nothing.

We need some good results early, to help us when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.

We really are light beyond the Bench

Repeat of the Nuno years innit.

Our injury record was thankfully superb but we got low on numbers in vital areas at times. RWB in the Championship we were trying everyone at one stage. 1 game we had 3 different players do the role

I'd be willing to bet that most benches on opening day, outside the "big boys", will be comparable to ours in terms of quality. I'll see if I can remember to round them up after the matches are played and we can have a gander at the quality on show.

Keeping a full squad of truly Prem level players is just crazy expensive these days.

It's 20 players now with a 9 man bench and I didn't include Jonny on there.

Bring 2-3 first team players in and we aren't light at all. Having tons of senior players sitting around doing nothing is shit.

Realistically, we only 'need' a 4th CB. Obviously getting another attacking midfield option would.be nice aswell.

I'd like a centre half, a central midfielder (Joe Hodge is not an option, he'd look bad in League Two) and a forward of some description. Ideally I wouldn't have Doherty as our second choice RB but what can you do.

Much else beyond that and it's pointless bloat.

It's perhaps telling that a lot of players in the first Team squad could just come in without much of a drop off.

We need some good results early, to help us when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.

We really are light beyond the Bench
We have 2 for every position bar RCB

GK: Sa, Bentley
RB: Semedo, Doc
RCB: Dawson
LCB: Kilman, Toti
LB: RAN, Bueno
RM/ IFR: Nunes, Sarabia
CM: Lemina, Hodge
CM: Gomes, Traore
LM/ ILF: Neto, Hwang
ACM/ Deep forward: Cunha
CF: Silva, Sasa

The two players we've been linked with are Scott and Elvedi which would give us 2 at RCB and ACM.

That would give us 24 players. You could argue about the quality (Hodge, Hwang 🤮) but the bodies are there.

Is Hodge realistically an option? Even if Lemina & Gomes were both out we'd likely play Nunes there instead of Hodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back