• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Matt Doherty

How much for The Gloves?

• Total voters

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
Following on from the Reading thread:

We all know that he needs upgrading regardless in the summer. In fact it's farcical that he has no competition out there.

So, the prospect was mooted of him being sold. Which I'd be quite up for, if I'm honest. Surprising scenes.

There was some talk of "£5m and I'd be surprised if we didn't get more" but personally, I don't think the market is there for full backs/wing backs. Irrespective of his actual quality.

So, vote and comment away.

Whatever I have said on other threads, realistically he comes in between £2 - £3m

Not sure that he is actually worth even that, but someone in the Championship will go to that level.

I think about £3.5m would probably be the maximum attainable to be honest.

Presuming we win the league an ever present in a Championship winning side under contract wouldn't go for less than £3m in this day and age irrespective of him being largely wank.

£3m would be daylight robbery. Seyi cost that a decade ago and that was hilarious, even allowing for inflation selling Doc for the same would be even more larceny.

Personally I think we're extremely lucky if we got £1m for him. Lee Evans was £750k or so - he can actually play football, for all his faults.

Edwards' goals masked his faults and so Reading paid £1m. It hasn't worked out for them (shock horror) but I can kind of follow the logic if you don't bother scouting anyone. Doherty has very little to back him up. Can't defend, can't attack.

Cyrus Christie who is in front on Doc for Ireland and isn't playing for Fulham cost them £3.5 million in January. Someone would have to be batshit mental to pay more than £2.5 million for Doc on that basis and that is pushing it for all he has improved on what he was.

Our fans who watch him every week think he’s great. We’d get decent Monet for him

Think we get £2-3m max for him, purely based on his decent form this season and our position in the league.

£5m is a laughable figure

Waiting for his sister to get back on here now to vote on this

£3m would be daylight robbery. Seyi cost that a decade ago and that was hilarious, even allowing for inflation selling Doc for the same would be even more larceny.

Personally I think we're extremely lucky if we got £1m for him. Lee Evans was £750k or so - he can actually play football, for all his faults.

Edwards' goals masked his faults and so Reading paid £1m. It hasn't worked out for them (shock horror) but I can kind of follow the logic if you don't bother scouting anyone. Doherty has very little to back him up. Can't defend, can't attack.

Yes but your knowledge of his 'attributes' & that of the average manager aren't the same - we will see if Laurie & Kevin are as good negotiators as the much reviled Moxey

Don't rate him at all. £2m at best and that's if clubs don't bother scouting and just look at the stats.

He seemed highly regarded in the press and by other teams in the summer, and there's no reason to think his value would have dropped since then. £3-4m IMO.

£1-2m in a summer window, £2-3m in a winter window. As per the reading thread, we only got £1m for a dynamic goalscoring midfielder who is regularly in his international squad.

Poor defensively and poor in the final third.

Gets up and down well (this season) but what's the point when his abilities with the actual football are so limited. By his own admission he doesn't score or assist enough.

This is the best coach Doherty will ever play under and he's still miles off.

£1m tops for me.

He's worth what another team will pay for him, and he's an ever present for the best side in the league.

I know I'm going against the grain here but despite his limitations, he's not looked out of place overall this season, he's shown excellent fitness levels and Nuno clearly rates him far more than most of TWF.

When you look at some of the fees being spent on mediocrity in this league, I don't think its too much of a stretch to imagine him leaving for upwards of £2m. That's despite teams probably not realising his limitations or acknowledging his weakness as a standard full back. But as a RWB he's shown he's good enough at this level. No higher, admittedly.

I know I say this a lot but I really don't think he's as bad as a lot of people on here seem to think he is.

In what way though?

I'll give you that he has learned how to cover the back stick now. And he has a reasonable level of fitness (finally) and bothers to run back towards our own goal now, mostly. Well done Matt.

But he still doesn't stop crosses, still doesn't know how to mark up properly, passes men on when he shouldn't and still tackles like a fanny. He isn't going to get any quicker or be able to turn more nimbly than a skip.

Going forward he cannot cross for shit. But he spends most of his time in the final third, out wide. So would you not work on that? If he has then it hasn't worked. His lack of end product given how far forward he plays in THIS team is astonishing, really.

As a full back he is fucking trash and worth less than a second hand copy of Adrian Chiles' book "We Don't Know What We're Doing". He has virtually nothing going for him there. I have seen a lot of bad full backs down here and he is amongst the very worst. As a wingback he is incredibly wasteful, though shows a reasonable enough attitude. It isn't worth much, is it.

He's worth what another team will pay for him, and he's an ever present for the best side in the league.

I know I'm going against the grain here but despite his limitations, he's not looked out of place overall this season, he's shown excellent fitness levels and Nuno clearly rates him far more than most of TWF.

When you look at some of the fees being spent on mediocrity in this league, I don't think its too much of a stretch to imagine him leaving for upwards of £2m. That's despite teams probably not realising his limitations or acknowledging his weakness as a standard full back. But as a RWB he's shown he's good enough at this level. No higher, admittedly.

I know I say this a lot but I really don't think he's as bad as a lot of people on here seem to think he is.

I've been on Doherty's back since LuaLua rinsed him way back in the Solbakken/Saunders season, but I agree with this, more or less.

I think we would realistically be happy with 3m, but if he went for as much as 6m I wouldn't be that shocked.

We're talking about a market in which Stephen Kingsley went for 3.3m, Ryan Shotton for 3.2m, and Grant fucking Hanley for 3.8m. I think Doherty can and will match those fees.

They're all way better than Doherty (plus two of them are centre halves, although Pulis has gone down the Pulis road of sticking Shotton at RB).

Kingsley is about as good as Douglas IMO.

Six fucking million :icon_lol: Have a word.

Back