• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Tell me about it, got made redundant 5 times during my work life, its horrible and gets harder the older you get.
Hope you survive.
It’s a brutal experience and one that far too many have to go through.

I always worked for the predator and never the prey, so was ‘fortunate’ enough to be offered a role within the new structure every time. That invariably meant a significant reduction in terms and conditions and became a slow and painful death. It was like death by a thousand cuts.

You were never sure if it was best to get bulleted and be forced to take the risky control of your own destiny or accept an ever descending misery offset by an illusion of employment and relative security.

That’s a painful journey and memory I don’t think I’ll ever fully shake off and can only empathise with anyone going through it.

A truly horrible experience.

Three times I’ve been made redundant, the other week just after Christmas, and previously about 25 and 20 years ago, first one I was airport transfers the co-op took the travel agent over and got rid of the driving staff.
That helped me move out the midlands, ended up in Lincoln via Eastern Europe.
Next time was office based sort of, hated every minute of the job, got called in for a chat, said they were thinking about downsizing and letting some staff go, I just said, give me redundancy money, I’m off, they were shocked but sorted it out next day and I was free.
Last one really fucked me off way more than it should have done, they’d spent about a grand on training and other stuff then just gave the driving job back to the teachers as it’d been before they wanted a couple of dedicated drivers because the teachers were complaining of the extra workload. I sent my id/building access pass back to them in a large envelope with no postage on it, just so someone would have to trek across town and pay for the letter at the sorting office. Little victories.

We went through numerous restructures - takeovers, management buy-outs, crooks, chancers, asset strippers etc, but being offered a role with shittier conditions each time was difficult to the point I wanted someone to just do the deed and get it over with.

It became horrendous watching insecure people fearful of their jobs (I was one of them) being exploited by absolute wankers and willing to take whatever crap was offered them just so they could pay their bills.

Eventually they fucked up and wound up one company on a Friday with the new one starting on the Monday and effectively breaking the continuous employment without realising the ramifications. They were expecting me in on the Monday but I told them not a chance, seized the moment of redundancy on technicality and with a few grand statutory redundancy pay fucked off into the sunset.

Spent the next ten years as happy as Larry being my own boss driving my van about all over the place with my dog beside me.

It all worked out in the end and sincerely hope anyone going through that comes out the other side ok too. It’s a horrible thing but you have to keep believing, there’s just no shortcut sometimes.

Last edited:
It’s a brutal experience and one that far too many have to go through.

I always worked for the predator and never the prey, so was ‘fortunate’ enough to be offered a role within the new structure every time. That invariably meant a significant reduction in terms and conditions and became a slow and painful death. It was like death by a thousand cuts.

You were never sure if it was best to get bulleted and be forced to take the risky control of your own destiny or accept an ever descending misery offset by an illusion of employment and relative security.

That’s a painful journey and memory I don’t think I’ll ever fully shake off and can only empathise with anyone going through it.

A truly horrible experience.
Brilliantly written, graphic example of your position EW. Shit subject matter, but I really liked the way you'd written it. Read it 3 times, gonna show it my daughter as an example of how to compose an opinion. Love it.

Ha, thanks for the kind words, that’s never happened before! I failed my English 0 level and am very conscious of often writing unnecessarily wordy rambling stuff so would be very wary of using something like that as an example.

That said, I try and write honestly and in a way that hopefully captures the emotions at play so if it gets that across it’ll do for me.

Thanks again, appreciated.

Last edited:
Happened to me three times. The second was one of the most brutal experiences. We'd gone through a 90 day consultation, and I was to be reappointed. on day 89 they cancelled my final meeting with 10 mins to go telling me nothing to worry about. They lied, obvs. Rearranged meeting declared they were making me redundant, and restarted the consultation.

It was hell, but I also learned a lot.

First, they were getting rid of me no matter what. I learned I was too tied to my job in my self identity. Each day, the closer I got to arriving at work the greater the panic, stress and worry. I lost weight, lost my appetite, thought I was managing but really wasn't. I spent 3 months building a discrimination case against them. I am confident I would have won too, and was lucky to have a very support mate who knew employment law. They bought me off eventually.

I left that job and the previous belief I had about how a career is so important. All a job does is enables you to do things you love with the people you love. It drastically changed my outlook on life.

Oh, and they made me redundant as the global crash of 2008 hit. So for a while there was the panic of there being no other jobs out there. Luckily I was only out of work for 3 months.

Third time I played the wrong of wronged employee. The only tough thing about it was having recently taken on a mortgage. However, I had overstayed in that job and it gave me the encouragement to get out. I actually enjoyed playing games with the people making me redundant, and being able to call them out on their bullshit and their poor attempts to create backdated documents that I was able to prove were not created until months after the date they alleged.

I got 1 and a half minutes into that before I had to stop... It was 1 and a half minutes too long

I mean, why does the blonde start to shout at the "old woman" for no reason? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I got 1 and a half minutes into that before I had to stop... It was 1 and a half minutes too long

I mean, why does the blonde start to shout at the "old woman" for no reason? 🤷‍♂️
I'd guess it's supposed to represent the younger generation trying to cancel the culture the older one was raised in. Just a recycled "The Times they are a'Changin'", really. Now I'm older myself, I realise I probably shouldn't have been quite so annoyed with my Mum and Dad :LOL:

I despair for the future of humanity more with each passing day...

I mean when gammony wankers describe "woke", it seems to be "caring about other people and not being a selfish knobhead" on the whole. It's totally bizarre.

I mean when gammony wankers describe "woke", it seems to be "caring about other people and not being a selfish knobhead" on the whole. It's totally bizarre.
‘Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice’
It's a really weird stick to try and beat people with.

I use either of these, tends to shut them up, because there’s not much of a comeback to either C8C1F9C5-8707-4636-BD09-01165CC4FCFE.jpegFAD5F5FB-BCD9-4DE6-A31C-EDB3469F139D.jpeg

Our fucking government!
We have an orbital motorway around Dublin, a huge big semicircle, 2 lanes each way. The infamous M50.
Between 7.30 and 1030am, the whole thing slows down and you'll literally be 10 feet, 1st gear, stop.
It literally becomes the largest car park in Europe, and again at 4.30 - 6pm. Absolutely shocking
When they bridged (a very high, quite long bridge over the Strawberry Beds next to the river Liffey) they designed and built the bridge, then put a fucking Toll Gate on the end of it, can you imagine? The queues were measured in hours, literally.
So they built a 2nd bridge at fantastic expense right next to it, allowed 2 lanes in each direction, then they realised their mistake and widened the bridge to allow 3 lanes in each direction. embraced technology and did away with the toll booths and installed electronic tagging.
Then they built a tunnel under half the city to the quays (Dublin Harbour), after finishing it at huge expense and upon testing it the dozy fuckers realised that the measurements and clearances for the whole thing was based upon 8' containers on the backs of flatbed trucks. Never considered bigger containers etc like 8'6" ones and different flatbeds etc, so they had to strip out thousands of curved preformed concrete liners and rebore the fucking thing, now....
Having just seen that Dublin is the 7th most congested city in the World!! they've revisited old abandoned plans to run a rail link north to south to help get people off the roads, Many billions have been allocated to this projected, but they have assured residents that NOT A SINGLE STROKE OF WORK WILL BEGIN...... BEFORE 2042!
Twenty fucking forty two!!
Ireland can certainly Plan for the future.
2042!!!

Why do Americans where very high end running shoes to wander around in? Hoka Cliftons, Nike Vaporfly, Brooks Glycerins, New Balance Fuelcell. Totally crazy.

Ah, it’s so they can run the length of the airport for connecting flights after the huge queues to get through passport control.

I got annoyed at the weekend while grocery shopping. Two packets of Muesli, one " normal " and one " no added sugar ". The latter was five pence more than the one with added sugar. So what? They charge five pence more for the packet that has one less ingredient. Doesn`t make sense. Seriously, they tell you to eat more healthily but penalise you by charging more for healthier food.

I got annoyed at the weekend while grocery shopping. Two packets of Muesli, one " normal " and one " no added sugar ". The latter was five pence more than the one with added sugar. So what? They charge five pence more for the packet that has one less ingredient. Doesn`t make sense. Seriously, they tell you to eat more healthily but penalise you by charging more for healthier food.
I'm assuming it's because 'richer' people are prepared to pay more to eat healthily.

Sport and how it affects my mood. My NFL team lost this morning and I've been an arse all day at work and at home. I chose to record it and get up as I had a busy day so went straight from watching into the day, in hindsight that 3 hours sleep probably would have given a full stop, rather than me being pissed off all day

Back