• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich (A) Build-Up Thread 21/1/17

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
It's going to have to be the same again really, isn't it? Not many of us were that thrilled to see the lineup on Saturday but pretty much everyone did a good job and Lambo has us playing as a team. I don't think there's anyone making that inestimable a case to gatecrash the starting XI, especially given we've kept two clean sheets in a row with this back four in what were on paper challenging fixtures.

2016/17: L 1-2 (H)
2014/15: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2011/12: D 2-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2008/9: D 3-3 (H), L 2-5 (A)
2007/8: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2006/7: D 2-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2002/3: W 1-0 (H), W 3-0 (A)
2001/2: D 0-0 (H), L 0-2 (A), L 1-3 (A, P/O), W 1-0 (H, P/O)
2000/1: W 4-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1999/0: W 1-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1998/9: D 2-2 (H), D 0-0 (A)
1997/8: W 5-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
1996/7: W 3-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1995/6: L 0-2 (H), W 3-2 (A)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBapvk9BbHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPqq5Evx1zc

I would start Bod up front. Dicko needs taking out of the firing line.

Not sure I'd play Edwards as we looked much better without him and I wouldn't be surprised if he broke a cheekbone or had concussion.

It would have to be Saville or Evans in for him as Prince is clearly being binned off. I would swap Mason for Bright and Bod for Dicko but that's a personal thing.

I think this is one of those threads where the 'what I'd do's' are pretty irrelevant, it'll be the same 11. Their fans are massively on their managers back, go at them hard from the kick off and see what happens

They're on a poor run right now and we have a great chance of getting something there hopefully PL is as fired up against them as he was against Villa. There's the temptation to replace Dicko with Bod but seems silly to mess with a side that's currently working plus Bod seems to work well as an impact player later in the game against tired defences

I'd be swapping Dicko and Coady for Bodvarsson and Iorfa but as has been said, it'll probably be an unchanged team (unless Edwards is injured of course).

Then again the back 4 that kept clean sheets wasn't the same in both of the last games as the only constant was Doherty - not sure what that means, but can't see that Coady, Batth & Stearman have any more claim on the shirt than Iorfa, Williamson & Hause. Given that in the main there is not that much to choose then maybe PL is going to alternate them so as to keep the squad fully involved & fresh :icon_biggrin:

Would prefer to see Bodvarssen start as whilst I am as keen as the next to see Nouha score, his desperation for a goal is starting to impact on the way he plays - we could/should have had more than one on Saturday

I have a look at the Norwich forum from time to time and 3 things I notice:

(1) They want Neill sacked and after every defeat they think the time has come but are left disappointed
(2) They hate Jez and are unanimous in the view that 'Wolves fans were right about him'
(3) They dislike Lambert but mainly because they liked him and are bitter at how he left. Some of them are planning to sing Lambert's name throughout on Saturday to send him and the board a message

They're on a poor run right now and we have a great chance of getting something there hopefully PL is as fired up against them as he was against Villa. There's the temptation to replace Dicko with Bod but seems silly to mess with a side that's currently working plus Bod seems to work well as an impact player later in the game against tired defences

Not a pop at you Lupe but I've never subscribed to this theory (you don't change a winning side). Play your best players, I can't imagine Mourinho wouldn't bring Zlatan back into his team no matter if they won without him the week before.

So the current back four are winning 2-1 when it comes to clean sheets in January ;)

He won't change it.

It will be the same team bar injuries I reckon..

I'm not sure lambert won't change the team. I would hope he choose what he thinks is the best team rather than sticking with a team because it won the last game

Not a pop at you Lupe but I've never subscribed to this theory (you don't change a winning side). Play your best players, I can't imagine Mourinho wouldn't bring Zlatan back into his team no matter if they won without him the week before.
Our problem is we don't have anyone that is that much better to make that call. Iorfa is a better RB but considering his form pre Stoke he's not a definite by any stretch of the imagination. Williamson would be the biggest shout I suppose but ironically both Batth and Stears had arguably their best games of the season.

I would also prefer Bod but again he's not so much better that it has to happen.

I agree with the sentiment though if Costa was out for example he would come back in without question.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I think he'll start Bod, and I would do so too.

I'd also pick Evans ahead of Edwards, Iorfa ahead of Coady and probably Willo ahead of Stears but I don't expect these to happen and I won't cry if they don't.

Think we've got a really good chance of more points in this game. Let's get at them.

We have done OK against those in mid table (which Norwich are now) & have a better away record so far

Draw probable, but chances for a win

reasons to be optimistic for this one? I hope so. We are better away than at home and Norwich are not in great form at the moment but unlike Wigan are not on a losing run of 4 or 5. I cant see a clean sheet though this time so will go for 2-2 or 1-2 to us

Think they're for the taking to be honest. If we can grab an early goal then the players will get nervous and the fans restless. Attack them and dont let them get a foothold or grow in confidence.

Norwich were well worth the three points at the Mol, so it will be a good indication of progress if we can win. Lambert doesn't seem to be scared of attacking away from home, so it should be a good game.
Keep winning and the season could yet take on another look. A mixed bag of results and we'll need to beat Liverpool for any excitement.
Unless we get into a relegation fight !

Back