• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

I don't know what you want people to say.

Do you want people to pretend they're happy we've sacked the best manager we've had in at least 40 years (and it's not even close) and we're appointing some nobody who hasn't even managed 100 games in his life, who would get laughed out of an interview with any other Premier League club?

I mean I've done a bit of acting but that's some stretch.

If FR isn't reporting it don't believe it. He's only posted 5 mins ago so if it was news it would be on his page.
So you're not prepared to give a manager you haven't heard of a chance but you are only going to believe news if it's reported by a bloke you'd never heard of before yesterday...

This is worse than a match day thread.

I think some are unhappy with Nuno leaving, which is fair, but then using the rumours of Bruno to berate Fosun, which isn't fair.

Truth is we know nothing about him. He could be an absolute dud and gone by October or the messiah this time next year. Let's see how it pans out...

Also to add to your post PuntsWolf about Lage losing 4 games - Nuno won 7 in 27, a lot of us would want any other manager gone for that.

Obviously I know why we didn't, and I didn't either. But when you look at our season statistically it has been horrendous. Least chances created in the Premier League etc.

I have been reading back on the chat and honestly , some of the naivety on here is astounding! I do not mean that as an insult but where have you been for the last 4 years? We have a relationship with Mendes that is just about legal and our owners rely heavily on the knowledge that he brings. I have said before I will be very surprised if a Mendes client is not installed as manager. It is almost nailed on unless Sir Alex Ferguson comes out of retirement for a swansong , and even then I think he would sign with Mendes! The relationship works for Fosun and enables them to play their cards really close to their chest. They probably have been speaking with Jorge for weeks or months about this.
We have a thread called dull as ditch-water and everyone acknowledges on that Nuno's success but also his failings over four years. There is a list of teams who worked us out fairly quickly and its not a great list as it includes Burnley , Huddersfield, Watford. Since we returned from lock down our style has look slow , ponderous and lacked any real threat bar wonder goals from Traore and that included Raul pre injury. Now a Mendes client who managed a top European team to a championship and champions league football is being lined up to come here and he is a considered a poor replacement before he is even here or kicked a ball? I know little about European football bar the top few sides and Fosun don't either. That's why they rely on Mendes. Fosun and Mendes want to make money and yet provide a product that is both watchable and saleable and as a bi-product successful in the longer term. The ambition that many claimed was lacking under Morgan appears to be very much here under Fosun but they have to do it while making money. They are the epitome of a speculate to accumulate owner, unlike PSG or Man City. But they have significant funds available and I believe they will spend them if it is right for the manager.
With a huge bit of hindsight , this end of tenure completely explains the lack of January activity completely. Why would JS back Nuno if he was looking at both how we were playing and who Nuno had recruited , albeit with a minimum net spend. Dont get me wrong , Nuno is the best manager I have known for Wolves , but that does not mean he is the best manager ever full stop. He had failings and many have been debated on here. Some even highlighted that other teams had changed their managers for less. Nuno had this season to rebuild and rebrand us and he did not manage to do that. We ended up without an identity and with the ability to grind out a 1 nil win here and there to ensure safety. His insistence on a small nucleus was his choice and it cost him.

I apologise for the length of this post. TLDR will probably be critiqued but I must finish on the players. Moutinho , Patricio, Traore, Boly have all been below the standard they showed previously, for various reasons. Add that to injuries to key players like Jonny and Raul , Neto and Podence and you start to see why a top half finish was not attainable. This has been a season to forget by and large , but we are still in the premier league and I completely understand why Nuno and JS came to the decision. To one I believe he felt he could do no more and to the other he understood and wanted more. 2021-22 could be a helluva ride. Bielsa's Leeds got more points this year than we did in our previous two 7th place finishes and they got the plaudits too. Lage could bring a similar rollercoaster to Molineux. Bring it on please.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, the players we have - Neto and Traore for a start - we shouldn't be struggling to create chances.

Neves came out after the United game and said they "gave their all". Henderson didn't make a save and it was the same lethargic tripe.

Let's be honest, the players we have - Neto and Traore for a start - we shouldn't be struggling to create chances.

Neves came out after the United game and said they "gave their all". Henderson didn't make a save and it was the same lethargic tripe.
Easiest/best team talk ever without having to say a word, fans in the ground, Man Utd reserves yet it was still “Dull as Ditchwater”. I also had the benefit of a good vantage point from the BW upper to see our tactical flaws and issues. Yet people think a few weeks off and we’d be pushing the top 6 again...

I’d say given all the availabale evidence they was highly unlikely. Certainly more unlikely than a manager we haven’t even hired yet get us relegated!

Not at all surprising. Our main 4 attacking players are Jimenez, Neto, Traore and Podence - 3 of them didn't play and the other went off injured in the first half, of course we are going to struggle to create and score under those circumstances.

I'd be less concerned about the attacking deficiencies as that is, possibly, solved by fitter players. The defensive issues on Sunday were weird - we had pretty much our 1st team back 8 and it looked at times as though Utd could score at will. The first goal was a shocker to concede, perhaps its because I don't often sit behind the goal but it seemed obvious that we have big problems with positioning.

Not at all surprising. Our main 4 attacking players are Jimenez, Neto, Traore and Podence - 3 of them didn't play and the other went off injured in the first half, of course we are going to struggle to create and score under those circumstances.

Yes but Liverpool were just as solid defensively without VVD, Matip and Gomez.... oh.

The game started with 9 of our usual 11 playing. Against a Man Utd B team. It was one player away from a team that’s regularly competed with their first team.

We’ve effectively missed one attacking player for any length of time for an entire season.

Our issues have been tactical forever. I mean we can keep claiming we we’re going to be free flowing in August when Raul was back but odds are we wouldn’t.

Last edited:
And what about the rest of the season?

And what about the rest of the season?
I agree we have been a tough watch this season and 36 goals in 38 games proves it, but injuries to all 4 of your first choice attacking players is obviously going to compound the issue even more. I just dont like it when people imply the issues are down to a lack of effort. Personnel or tactics, fine. I just don't buy it when people say players at this level aren't giving their all or not trying. It's a lazy thing to say.

Back