• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

They were 7 points behind Porto so they'd written the season off effectively.

One thing I do worry about us if Lage does fall flat, the damage putting that fire out does longer term.

Do we bin him and appoint a firefighter from the Pardew/Hughes/Bruce carrousel?

Shi/Fosun got plenty of understanding with Year One with Zenga because of the timeframe, likewise Lambert who was the firefighter without ever been in the frame for the job.

What does a 13th followed by 17-13th place finish do to finding a replacement? Suddenly successive bottom half finishes makes us "Southampton post Koeman". We aren't appealing as a new opportunity anymore.

It does make me think that Shi is wilfully walking into pitfalls he had no control over in 2016.

On par with the Lage/RDM comparison 😉
I didn't compare the two :D

Just for illustrative purposes, saying "he has won X" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Like this guy is definitely better than Dean Saunders (so is my brother's cat), but we've appointed him in the same way as we appointed Dean Saunders.

But that's all it is Lincs and you sum it up well - an if. I don't blindly think he's going to be brilliant, I just think writing him off is unfair without letting it see how it plays out.

Just for illustrative purposes, saying "he has won X" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Like this guy is definitely better than Dean Saunders (so is my brother's cat), but we've appointed him in the same way as we appointed Dean Saunders.
And the same way they appointed Nuno.

Rodgers left Celtic when they were on track to win the league to join midtable Leicester. If the numbers are right and the squad isn’t a basket case (it won’t be) then plenty will be interested.

And the same way they appointed Nuno.
Well yes, that's fair. But he was legitimately a coup for a Championship club.

Bruno Lage is not a coup for a year four Premier League club who made the quarter finals of the Europa League not long ago.

But it is a bit of a comparison, isn't it? You're putting him in the same basket, when in actual fact RDM just carried on with AVB's team for 3 months. Anyone moderately competent could have won a trophy with that Chelsea team.

How is it similar to how we appointed Saunders? Just out of interest.

In that it's a fait accompli.

We haven't gone through any kind of process. We didn't then and we haven't now.

How many of the 18 out of 19 games were they expected to win?16?
No idea but obviously we all know they are expected to win most games. They won 18 out of the first 19 games the next season too without Felix but then something changed after January. I know some reports said he wasn't happy with the squad despite being top but didn't get the support that he wanted, again i don't know enough about that i've literally just looked into his record a little.

Is Nuno the Denes Rosa of managers? Have people forgotten how turgid last season was?

Yes, there were some mitigating events, but it was certainly very uninspiring and confused at best. He is not the Messiah....

We're meant to look at Nuno's record (won nothing) and get excited and look at Lage's (won something) and think he's shit.

Thats ignores the fact we were a club who'd just finished 15th in The Championship for the former.

We were excited our new owners had installed a guy who'd managed Porto and Valencia and heard about him taking a relative unknown in Rio Ave to both Portugese Cup finals and into the Europa League.

Conversely we've now had two successive 7th placed finishes, gone deep into the Europa League and completed a third season and context has shifted massively.

With that context we're now about to appoint somebody who hasn't worked in a year and only has one years experience to his name.

Of course there's apprehension.

Well yes, that's fair. But he was legitimately a coup for a Championship club.

Bruno Lage is not a coup for a year four Premier League club who made the quarter finals of the Europa League not long ago.

He managed some big teams in Porto and Valencia but was largely hounded out of both with similar things mentioned as we've seen in the last few months - rubbish football, stubborn, teams lose identity and so forth. I'm not saying he's rubbish, he did some brilliant things, but sentiment is what makes us all believe he'd have turned it around. And let's be honest, twelve months ago he'd have gotten a much bigger gig than Crystal Palace. A team with Pedro Neto, Adama Traore and Ruben Neves for starters should not be finishing 13th or have the worst creative record in the league.

Lage isn't a big name but nor was Nuno - I had not heard of him anyway, and everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not saying it will be a roaring success but he clearly did something right in that first season.

Obviously it was as the assistant manager but Carvalhal's Wednesday weren't totally rubbish - didn't they make the play-offs twice?

Admittedly they got Swansea relegated by 3 points...

09911-scicon2-straws.jpg

A lot of clutching going on :D

I mean it's objectively not a great move, is it?

If anyone thinks that Lage is even close to the same level of appointment that Nuno was at the relative levels the club was at when they were appointed they are deluding themselves. Talk about false equivalence.

He may be a success, he may not, but this isn't a coup, Nuno was. Again, relative to where we were/are at

Back