• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-season friendly thread

Spain were level at 2-2 with Ivory Coast until Wolves striker Rafa Mir was substituted on in the 93rd minute…

🤩 Mir went on to score a hat trick and Spain won 5-2 to advance into the semi finals of #Tokyo2020!

#WWFC | #Wolves https://t.co/X2wVW8jaII

Is this true, he is not in our plans at all then?

Sorry, clearly the wrong thread but still..

Didn't watch the game, but glad to see he went to a 3/5 at the back. Hopefully he's seen he doesn't have the players for a high 2. 343 doesn't have to negative or counter attacking, you wouldn't describe Chelsea under Conte as that

Hard to say, the manager hasn't even met him yet.

Ultimately because of his contract situation then he either needs to sign a new one in the coming weeks or we sell/swap him. He can negotiate terms on a Bosman in January.

I don't think he's a Premier League player, I'd get rid.

Sounded a good run out and almost like things are coming together slowly. We’ve still got a couple of games left to get it right ahead of the season but we’re in desperate need of that new CM.

I liked to see the wide players a bit narrower as I think this has always been a problem whenever we've played 343.

Sa is as quick as Rui coming off his line. As we saw in the game last week in Spain
His position when we push up is something Rui would never do.
Hasn't really been tested though in terms of saves. Corners in haven't been ones he can come for, nor would I want him too to be honest. Jumping over 4 players doesn't help anyone.
Can see there is an issue with our defence doing things they would do with Rui there. One example was a low cross 12 yards out that Sa came for but Coady cleared. Thankfully Sa saw and stopped or they clatter into each other.
I thought two or three times today Sa wanted to distribute the ball quickly. Looked up and no-one was ready. That'll come though. By and large I'm OK with Sa. It's CD, CM and a 2nd striker that we need.

Were you expecting an upgrade in Sa? I think most would be very happy with him being broadly similar in effectiveness (clearly not a line for line) given the fees and wages involved.

I seem to recall being told (repeatedly) that Rui was one of the worst keepers in the Prem, so yes I was expecting an upgrade. Very little to really assess him on but like Deutsch I am looking at his role in the goal, and thinking it looks a tad flappy and indecisive and that I hope that's just the chaos of that particular goal.

pl_gls_prevented-1.png

Looks like Kasper Schmeichel is one of the worst keepers around according to the nerdlingers. Who knew.

It stands to reason, if you sell a keeper who has 97 caps and sign one from the same country who has 0 caps (and he isn't young either) then the new one probably won't be as good.

pl_gls_prevented-1.png

Looks like Kasper Schmeichel is one of the worst keepers around according to the nerdlingers. Who knew.

It stands to reason, if you sell a keeper who has 97 caps and sign one from the same country who has 0 caps (and he isn't young either) then the new one probably won't be as good.
naah, fuck those stats haha

I seem to recall being told (repeatedly) that Rui was one of the worst keepers in the Prem, so yes I was expecting an upgrade. Very little to really assess him on but like Deutsch I am looking at his role in the goal, and thinking it looks a tad flappy and indecisive and that I hope that's just the chaos of that particular goal.
So you believe what you were told? I think same people were saying Sa was not as good so expecting him to be as good let alone an upgrade seems a little odd to me.

Leno, whoever Southampton/Newcastle played and Ramsdale were my none stats analysis of who was worse than Particio last season. He was Top 6 the year before, but it's a tired discussion

I am looking at his role in the goal, and thinking it looks a tad flappy and indecisive and that I hope that's just the chaos of that particular goal.
Not sure what he is expected to do on the corner. He can't really come for it or he is risking missing/dropping the ball as he would be going over players to reach it. We failed 2 or 3 times to clear, a shot comes in through players meaning he see's the ball late and they react quicker to the ball coming out. Sa's involvement in the goal is a minor one. We missed a header, 3 kicks to clear and slow reactions ahead of anything Sa had to do.

We are going to have to get used to where he is when we push up the pitch as he follows. I do fear we will concede a stupidly long distance goal but that will be down to how he is asked to play than his abilities.

Only seen him make one proper save so far, so hard to judge him on that aspect. He has shown he is quick off his line and was unlucky in both goals conceded v LP as he did everything right really, just let down by those protecting him.

I didn't want Rui to go and on paper we have weakened that part of the team, but if his addition adds to how Lage wants to play then it might be improvement team wise rather than the individual. Also would be nice if we had a couple of defenders who can win headers on set plays

I get that, I was fairly open on my love of keeping and keeper stats, not wanting to get rid of Rui. I get it's harsh but I look at his movements etc on the goal and it made me think "mmhhhm" as he seems to get rooted on the floor. I can't find a replay now let alone a behind goal angle, but my immediate thought was I was disappointed that after the first save he is still down on the floor.

Like I said it's extremely early.

I will confirm though that I really dislike what I have seen of the new keeper coach, that's partly as he is the direct distillation of what I hate about coaches.
Not sure what he is expected to do on the corner. He can't really come for it or he is risking missing/dropping the ball as he would be going over players to reach it. We failed 2 or 3 times to clear, a shot comes in through players meaning he see's the ball late and they react quicker to the ball coming out. Sa's involvement in the goal is a minor one. We missed a header, 3 kicks to clear and slow reactions ahead of anything Sa had to do.

We are going to have to get used to where he is when we push up the pitch as he follows. I do fear we will concede a stupidly long distance goal but that will be down to how he is asked to play than his abilities.

Only seen him make one proper save so far, so hard to judge him on that aspect. He has shown he is quick off his line and was unlucky in both goals conceded v LP as he did everything right really, just let down by those protecting him.

I didn't want Rui to go and on paper we have weakened that part of the team, but if his addition adds to how Lage wants to play then it might be improvement team wise rather than the individual. Also would be nice if we had a couple of defenders who can win headers on set plays

I get that, I was fairly open on my love of keeping and keeper stats, not wanting to get rid of Rui. I get it's harsh but I look at his movements etc on the goal and it made me think "mmhhhm" as he seems to get rooted on the floor. I can't find a replay now let alone a behind goal angle, but my immediate thought was I was disappointed that after the first save he is still down on the floor.

Like I said it's extremely early.

I will confirm though that I really dislike what I have seen of the new keeper coach, that's partly as he is the direct distillation of what I hate about coaches.
Fletch was disturbing him in a suspicious offside position, he just reacted it out and then got up just when batth put it in off the post..we had many bodies in front too

Only seen a few vids of him so no opinion on him. He does look a miserable bastard though.
If doesn't remove Pat Mountain from the top of my list of shit GK coaches then he will be ok for me...

Back