• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relive a classic: Wolves 6-4 Rotherham

OTLB

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

It is that time of the year again when my blog does our Xmas Advent Calendar looking back at classic EFL moments, and today we look back at a thriller, as Wolves ran out 6-4 winners against Rotherham to within the brink of the title. What a game that was!

We relive a League One classic as Jackett's super side produced another fantastic display of their qualities.

Take a read below.
https://tinyurl.com/bdw9ujnv

Amazing game to be at. A shame idiots decided they had to run on the pitch because we won a corner...

I know it was League One, but damn, that was a fun season. Peak Dicko and Sako. Henry and Jacobs having the best seasons' of their careers'. So much fun to watch and really hard not to like as people.

I didn't enjoy it, to be honest.

Was quite nice not to actively hate the manager and half the squad, but it was fucking boring. If we went 1-0 up, especially at home, you knew we were almost certain to win.

It was a nice change of pace from the previous years!

I maybe have rose tinted glasses on for that season as it's legitimately the first time in my Wolves' supporting life that we were anything like decent.

It was so important to get out of that division straight away and under Jackett it was brilliant, we had a December to forget though and Jackett immediately knew he had to bring in a few players, one being Nouha Dicko. From there we pissed the division and won the title at a canter.

It was so important to get out of that division straight away and under Jackett it was brilliant, we had a December to forget though and Jackett immediately knew he had to bring in a few players, one being Nouha Dicko. From there we pissed the division and won the title at a canter.
I recall your Pink elephants and lemonade post Quirk. A recording breaking run of victories followed :)

I didn't enjoy it, to be honest.

Was quite nice not to actively hate the manager and half the squad, but it was fucking boring. If we went 1-0 up, especially at home, you knew we were almost certain to win.
I'm glad it was boring, the most important thing that season was to bounce straight backup.

Much prefer that than living in "interesting times"

Yeah, but it was the equivalent of getting relegated on FIFA, then switching the difficulty to Amateur and playing through a whole season.

I doubt you would enjoy grinding your way through that, by the same token it wasn't fun to watch. Part of the emotion of football is knowing your team could fuck it up any minute soon, or the opposition could come out with a piece of play that just takes you apart and what can you do. Going 1-0 up and thinking "that's it" didn't really do it for me, and taking out our wrath on the likes of Carlisle and Stevenage made it even worse.

I respect the work Ken did, but he did better the next season getting us 78 points in the Championship with a lot of the same players. I'd much rather relive 2014/15 than 2013/14 in a binary choice.

Yeah, but it was the equivalent of getting relegated on FIFA, then switching the difficulty to Amateur and playing through a whole season.

I doubt you would enjoy grinding your way through that, by the same token it wasn't fun to watch. Part of the emotion of football is knowing your team could fuck it up any minute soon, or the opposition could come out with a piece of play that just takes you apart and what can you do. Going 1-0 up and thinking "that's it" didn't really do it for me, and taking out our wrath on the likes of Carlisle and Stevenage made it even worse.

I respect the work Ken did, but he did better the next season getting us 78 points in the Championship with a lot of the same players. I'd much rather relive 2014/15 than 2013/14 in a binary choice.
Tbf after the previous two seasons there was definitely a bit for me early on where I absolutely didn't trust that we would walk the league the way we ended up doing.

At that point I was just able to enjoy the ride as I'd never seen good vibes around the club before then (for more than fleeting moments like Hunt's goal against Blackburn, Elokobi/Doyle's against Man U., etc). It was amazing to see everyone just be happy for a little bit. To see everyone "get the club back", as it were.

For the record only six times did we score first and fail to win. Coventry at home in October, Carlisle away in November, Rotherham away in December, Orient at home in December, Crawley away in March and Coventry away in April (we only lost one of these, Crawley).

We scored first 36 times that season.

6/36 FFS! And 1/36 for us to not lose. If the result were all that mattered you could have happily switched off once we took the lead and on the balance of probability, been happy. Fortunately football doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
Tbf after the previous two seasons there was definitely a bit for me early on where I absolutely didn't trust that we would walk the league the way we ended up doing.

At that point I was just able to enjoy the ride as I'd never seen good vibes around the club before then (for more than fleeting moments like Hunt's goal against Blackburn, Elokobi/Doyle's against Man U., etc). It was amazing to see everyone just be happy for a little bit. To see everyone "get the club back", as it were.
I can't have the same personal experience as you, so I won't pretend to :D

Even compared to our 90s era of forever being a notch off what we should have been, it was shit for me. Obviously better than what we'd had under Saunders, but that's like saying your plate of bland mashed potato for main is better than your catshit soup starter.

I'd rather be bored winning all the time than experiencing what the likes of Sunderland, sheff wed et al have been through.

From an entertainment perspective I get it, there was little jeopardy, my view is that the bigger picture was more important at that time.

It got us out of the losing habit which had set in after poor seasons in the Premier League and Championship bt I do remember looking at the fixture list at the beginning of the season and seeing the likes of Walsall and Stevenage and thinking back to playing the likes of Liverpool and United just a couple of years back.

Key was getting back first time which we did. A few teams of our sort of size have gone down there and stagnated though we were rare in that we weren't down there due to poor finances, rather poor management and decisions

That wasn't the binary choice being offered though. Alan loved that season (as is his right and given his own personal history of supporting Wolves, I get it), I said it was shit to watch even though I went to every home game.

Think that season is most games I’ve been able to get to and I managed to be at Orient and Brentford away as well as that crazy Rotherham game. More to do with me taking a year out between college and uni so I look back fondly on it. KJ did a great job to make it as easy as he did tbf. But do understand why it got a bit tedious for some. I mean we had Sako in league one, that’s ridiculous!

How the hell is romping to promotion classed as tedious and shit. I thoroughly loved pissing that division after the tripe under Mick, then Solbakken then Saunders. I shake my head at anybody that utters that jibe on here.

Maybe we should play in the Banks's Premier. We'd win every week.

We had average footballers (plus Sako) playing against rubbish footballers, it was no spectacle.

Back