• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Richard Masters, Premier League Chief Executive, at Molineux for the Luton match.

Wellen Wolf

Reaction score
As reported in The Guardian's match report, Richard Masters, Premier League Chief Executive, was in attendance after the disgrace and embarrassment of PGMOL behaviour in the previous two home games. It will be interesting to pick up the whispers on his interaction today after the repeated shenanigans of this season. FWIW and IMHO the game should be about the players and not the interference of the rule makers and deciders who are creating so many problems. If he actually watched the match he might reflect on why so many fans of so many clubs have had enough of VAR and its officials, that goal celebrations have been ruined, that handball and offside are a complete shambles, that there's zero consistency in dealing with complaining players, that throw ins are not taken properly, that players routinely do not back off from free kicks, etc etc. It's quite simply a sport that needs consistent interpretations and applications of the rules, but most important of all it's supposed to be entertainment. I wonder if he actually communicated anything except fat cat prawn munching contentment in his own splendid presence.... while inwardly scowling about the game's image being damaged by fans singing about the Premier League and VAR. I foresee more punishments coming in order to stop that soon.

For those of you who like to know a bit about such things, Wikipedia reports that he got the job as follows: ( I have added the points inside the brackets).
Masters (Marketing background) was the Premier League's fourth choice for the role, following a protracted recruitment process that involved Susanna Dinnage (media person who is a Fulham season ticket holder), Tim Davie (Tory political candidate running the BBC) and David Pemsel (The Guardian group and Fashion Director) all being offered - but later declining - the position ahead of him. There were also accusations that the biggest teams in the Premier League held too much influence over the process, with Liverpool and Manchester United alleged to have held private talks with candidates chosen by the Premier League's official nominating committee, before deciding whether or not to enact their unofficial veto over the decision.

I note that none of those candidates is from sport and that they are all from the MSM. IMHO this sums up why the Premier League has lost its way. It's all about the media and not the game.

And, on the PSR crisis also that:
Masters, during a session of a CMS parliamentary select committee described Nottingham Forest and Everton Football Clubs as ‘small clubs’, prompting a furious reaction from fans and media alike.

By the way, he's from Solihull, attended a private school there and at some stage he claimed he was an Aston Villa supporter.

Any thoughts?

Back