• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves. Verdict Thread

Happy Valentines Day mate 😘

Spending some time with the other half after watching the game but pretty happy and feel like the second half could be a something to build on.

First half thought we looked up for it until their goal but we shrunk visibly for the rest of the half. Second half obviously worlds better going forward. Thought Neves was excellent, Semedo very good and I was literally about to moan at Neto for over playing (which my eldest lad still won't let me forget...) when he cut inside only to lose my shit when he scored. What a player.

I very much enjoyed Marcal's calming cameo too. I can understand the underwhelming reaction to WJ, but tbh as long as it isn't costing us points I'd rather him take the lions share of minutes and keep Fabio to cameos for now.

Really pleased for Nuno at the end too, we all want him to turn this round
That in bold is what most of us are feeling. This result and 2nd half performance is a massive boost for all the staff and players, and to be honest for us the fans/supporters.
If ever one half of football could change the mood of a club this was it.

Neto knocking the ball away from Romeu wins my particular filth of the match award. Even got him to bend down for the ball before touring it away.
To be fair he was only knocking it back to where it should have been taken :)

Romeo didn't have a good game at all. We seemed to get right under his skin.

people giving marcal credit for time running but no one's giving neto a shoutout for his petulant dead ball kick

Romeo didn't have a good game at all. We seemed to get right under his skin.
Early yellow card curtailed his normal name of kicking opponents. After the foul on Moutinho when the ref had a stern word I think he knew one more and he'd be taking an early bath.

[I might have said don’t shoot before a certain goal in 2017/18]
Not a dad but I MAY have muttered "he's skied it" just before it started dipping....

Great 2nd half after a 1st half where we looked our normal, poor, selves (I'm only judging the 21/22 version of Wolves here).

The 2nd half we were 10 yards further up the pitch and switching Traoré and Neto allowed them to run into dangerous areas as opposed to being pushed wide and isolated.

Our form is starting to look much better, we're slowly and surely starting to pull ourselves out of the funk we've found ourselves in recently.

Also, Jose isn't as good as Fabio. If Fabio played like Jose people would absolutely tear him to pieces.

I thought Romeu was pretty good - he’s a good defensive midfielder, but his use of the ball is excellent - real pass and move play.

Happy to give Jose more time as he hasn't been here long, but he hasn't done much yet to suggest he is worth €22m or better than Silva.

I thought Romeu was pretty good - he’s a good defensive midfielder, but his use of the ball is excellent - real pass and move play.
Yeah i did too, he was a big part of why Neto barely got a touch first half, he was doubling up as an auxiliary RB at times, he didn't half cover some ground.

I feel like it's been absolutely months that I've been asking for the wide men to play predominantly within the lines of the penalty box, and finally we got it for the second half. The result being that the three of them, and Neves, are all able to be much, much closer together, play football between eachother and make dummy runs that actually make a difference. He's absolutely got to stick with it, come hell or high water. It may well help us get the best out of Fabio too - we'll be able to see what he's like as footballing forward rather than a target man.

I've given Nuno plenty of stick, and most of that first half was as bad as we've been - but I'm delighted he read my suggestion, actioned it properly and has reaped the rewards. Please, please stick with it. We can all forgive it if we get caught in behind while we experiment with a high line, but we've got to take the next 14 games as the opportunity to perfect that higher line, perfect pressing in packs rather than 2-3 people doing it and the rest not, and perfect the inside forwards playing with and off a forward and a supporting Neves. It's got real, genuine potential - give it time, allow its mistakes, but make that be our identity, whether it's with a back 5 or 4.

Rui - back to his best, tremendous shot stopping and game for a couple of corners that I wouldn't have expected him too.

Semedo - absolutely wank defending for the goal, but probably as good as he's played all told.

Dendonker - again, poor for the goal, and is too passive with and without the ball there.

Coady - was off it, defensively for me. Passing was largely better

Saiss - probably the best of the 3, but only 7/10

Jonny - great to get more minutes in his legs. Was a bit wasteful in the final third a few times, but that'll come back.

Moutinho - I think he's done, unfortunately. He's a yard off everything, and he's not finding the time to dictate like he used to.

Neves - so much more likely to get involved when we're playing football rather than jinking down the wing and slinging a hopeful cross in.

Neto - the kid is special. Lightening quick, skillful, brave on the ball and works his bollocks off. I never want to see him wide left again.

Traore - partially at fault for the goal, and like Neto looked so much more dangerous off the touchline and playing inside.

Jose - I don't like him, and I don't want him. I think he's lazy, and he hides. IF we continue with inside forwards and Neves higher up, I'd like to see Fabio there.

For the next game, and I know we won't get this:

..................... Rui
....... Saiss/Coady/Marcal
Semedo/Neves/Vitinha/Jonny
........Neto/Fabio/Adama

Obviously we won't see that, but Marcal has impressed me, and I'd like to see him in that 3 at the back - he can defend, and he's good on the ball. If Fabio has got players near him, and balls to feet, then we've got half a chance of seeing what he's about, and his movement should create space for Neto and Adama to exploit.

Jose (and Silva) have been sacrificed to our performances. There is no doubt that the narrower front 3 in the second half contributed to Jose being more involved and he was able to have an influence on the game. The first half, Traore and Neto were just double marked out of the game and all we did was pass it back and try the other side with the same outcome.

Last two seasons, Doherty and Jonny were much more likely to under lap the wide players to get alongside Raul...in the second half today it was Traore and Neto cutting in. It feels like we might have stumbled on a solution.

Clearly the tactical switch at half time worked, but it was as much to do with the belief and confidence the penalty gave us. We started on the front foot in the first half that petered out after about 15 mins and after they scored shoulders slumped and the body language was one of here we go again.

The second half was only a repeat of that start of the first the difference being we were given a ropey* penalty. That goal like most others we have scored gave us belief. We always have a little 10 minute or spell afterwards, and as with Arsenal, Albion and Chelsea we got that second goal and confidence goes higher. We'll never know if that second half would have petered out after the initial period as with the first.

Obviously we have to stay with the inverted forwards, but I'd still bin off the back 3, Coady remains in awful form, we still concede soft goals and we never take advantage of the extra man at the back. A couple of times Donck stepped up into midfield today, stopped turned around and passed backwards. I don't see what it offers. Play someone in midfield to sit a bit deeper instead of Moutinho and then add another attacking option 4231/4222

*ropey in as much as the current interpretation of the law is bollocks rather than it not being a penalty under them.

I feel like it's been absolutely months that I've been asking for the wide men to play predominantly within the lines of the penalty box, and finally we got it for the second half. The result being that the three of them, and Neves, are all able to be much, much closer together, play football between eachother and make dummy runs that actually make a difference. He's absolutely got to stick with it, come hell or high water. It may well help us get the best out of Fabio too - we'll be able to see what he's like as footballing forward rather than a target man.

I've given Nuno plenty of stick, and most of that first half was as bad as we've been - but I'm delighted he read my suggestion, actioned it properly and has reaped the rewards. Please, please stick with it. We can all forgive it if we get caught in behind while we experiment with a high line, but we've got to take the next 14 games as the opportunity to perfect that higher line, perfect pressing in packs rather than 2-3 people doing it and the rest not, and perfect the inside forwards playing with and off a forward and a supporting Neves. It's got real, genuine potential - give it time, allow its mistakes, but make that be our identity, whether it's with a back 5 or 4.

Rui - back to his best, tremendous shot stopping and game for a couple of corners that I wouldn't have expected him too.

Semedo - absolutely wank defending for the goal, but probably as good as he's played all told.

Dendonker - again, poor for the goal, and is too passive with and without the ball there.

Coady - was off it, defensively for me. Passing was largely better

Saiss - probably the best of the 3, but only 7/10

Jonny - great to get more minutes in his legs. Was a bit wasteful in the final third a few times, but that'll come back.

Moutinho - I think he's done, unfortunately. He's a yard off everything, and he's not finding the time to dictate like he used to.

Neves - so much more likely to get involved when we're playing football rather than jinking down the wing and slinging a hopeful cross in.

Neto - the kid is special. Lightening quick, skillful, brave on the ball and works his bollocks off. I never want to see him wide left again.

Traore - partially at fault for the goal, and like Neto looked so much more dangerous off the touchline and playing inside.

Jose - I don't like him, and I don't want him. I think he's lazy, and he hides. IF we continue with inside forwards and Neves higher up, I'd like to see Fabio there.

For the next game, and I know we won't get this:

..................... Rui
....... Saiss/Coady/Marcal
Semedo/Neves/Vitinha/Jonny
........Neto/Fabio/Adama

Obviously we won't see that, but Marcal has impressed me, and I'd like to see him in that 3 at the back - he can defend, and he's good on the ball. If Fabio has got players near him, and balls to feet, then we've got half a chance of seeing what he's about, and his movement should create space for Neto and Adama to exploit.
Totally agree with that post Del..

Back