• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Stats and Analysis Thread

From PTS' article today:

With Dawson in the starting XI: 42 games, 1.4PPG, 1.5 goals conceded per game, 40% win rate
No Dawson in the starting XI: 12 games, 0.9PPG, 2.2 goals conceded per game, 25% win rate

From PTS' article today:

With Dawson in the starting XI: 42 games, 1.4PPG, 1.5 goals conceded per game, 40% win rate
No Dawson in the starting XI: 12 games, 0.9PPG, 2.2 goals conceded per game, 25% win rate
I expected us to be better with him based on what I’ve seen but that’s pretty stark. He’s our only leader at the back which makes having Kilman as captain very hard to understand.

I don’t think there’s an doubt that we are better with him. But the games he’s missed coincide with when we were missing everyone which will skew things

I'm certain we beat Cov if Dawson plays.

Then our whole season feels different.

We probably rest players prior though?
They were all already injured. Hwang and Cunha needed the minutes. I don’t think Semedo and Sarabia were injured, just rested for a game we went on to lose. So you can put those in as they would have played.

Still doesn’t stop the team being toothless with zero subs in a game which could go to extra time.

Moot discussion anyway. Just pointing out we could have been more angry getting ripped off at Wembley to lose 0-1 to a shit United team as we had no forwards

I don’t think there’s an doubt that we are better with him. But the games he’s missed coincide with when we were missing everyone which will skew things
The sample without him is a lot smaller than with, sure but it's still a decent 2-3 months worth of football. That's enough to make this a fair comparison to make.

As much as I like how Dawson has been, we should not be relying on a player f his age (and mobility) to be leading our defence. Things will only get worse if we stand pat. Honestly don't know if that means just 1 signing or at least 2.

Still though it shouldn't be that grim (exactly the same applies to Brighton)

Who are even more grim in 20th place and 7 goals. One of your poorer comparisons.

No, I'm saying they've had loads of injuries too but that cannot completely excuse such a poor total, they have been rubbish, we have been rubbish, both should be doing better than that under managers who have (rightly) got a lot of praise this season.

No, I'm saying they've had loads of injuries too but that cannot completely excuse such a poor total, they have been rubbish, we have been rubbish, both should be doing better than that under managers who have (rightly) got a lot of praise this season.
Your initial post can be read two ways, I see where you’re coming from now.

I'd also add that we can't afford this kind of run with the way we play under O'Neil where we're far more open than in previous years and with the defensive options we have which most would agree at very least need bolstering in the summer, we hardly keep any clean sheets (only 5 in the league all season, two against Everton, one each against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Brighton).

I'd also add that we can't afford this kind of run with the way we play under O'Neil where we're far more open than in previous years and with the defensive options we have which most would agree at very least need bolstering in the summer, we hardly keep any clean sheets (only 5 in the league all season, two against Everton, one each against Burnley, Sheff Utd and Brighton).
Yeah we've been poor defensively all season. Sá's shot stopping has prevented it from looking as bad as it actually has been as well.

I can partly accept it because O'Neil made a decision early on to commit more bodies forward than you'd normally see from us and has had positive results doing that. The way we press, the way we defend with the ball and the way we build from the back has been naïve at best and just poorly coached at worst though. An upgrade in defensive personnel might fix some of those problems but not all of them, you've just got to hope that with a full pre season he can sort out that side of it.

Back