• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I think it depends on options. The drop off from him to Jonny - assuming he's fit, interested and staying, is less, if at all versus Neves to Donck. So hypothetically if we could sell RAN, Traore etc, keep Neves and still sign 3 for the first 11 I'd do it. RAN wouldn't need to be directly replaced, Neves would.

Another summer wasted on a player who doesn't want to come here, then.

Very little chance of that happening then. It was always a far fetched one.

I wonder whether we might be holding off other sales as part of waiting for this supposed spending to take place if / when Neves goes. Feel like there was a lot more noise about outgoings when it was presumed Neves would be out ASAP at the end of last (edit: season).

E.g. are we going to hold onto fringe players like Ronan, Jordao, Sanderson? Are we less likely to sell senior players if we don’t get the senior midfielders we want (podence, Jimenez and jonny the most likely - I have a faint recollection that Bruno didn’t like Boly too(?))

This is the thing though, we do stand a chance of them coming here, players will go anywhere for the right money and deals. I get no one wants to be Portsmouth but I do feel like we are not fully trying to use the financial muscle that being a top half Prem team should bring. We surely aren't capped out wage budget wise whilst running such a small squad.

Spend all Summer chasing players who don't want to come and we have no chance of signing again most likely. All the windows follow the same pattern.
It's the Mendes purgatory we are in. Gamble on the Neto's, Trincao's, Silva's and Vitinha's for more than they are currently worth with mixed results or waste your time going after his elite or on the road to elite players like Nunes amd Dias who won't come. The problem is outside of Mendes we are clueless so the over reliance will continue

This is the thing though, we do stand a chance of them coming here, players will go anywhere for the right money and deals. I get no one wants to be Portsmouth but I do feel like we are not fully trying to use the financial muscle that being a top half Prem team should bring. We surely aren't capped out wage budget wise whilst running such a small squad.
Nunes has literally said he is only interested in leaving Sporting for one of the biggest clubs that can compete for trophies.

Your paying over the odds options aren't ascending players like Nunes, they are the descending types like Coutinho and James

Over half the teams in the league have made at least one signing for the first team squad so far. Some teams have made 3-4 signings.

While it's not the end of the world and sometimes it's not possible to get everything in place before pre season. There is definitely an advantage in having players integrated for as much of pre season as possible.

They should really have drawn up some attainable and realistic targets and tried to do a couple of bits earlier this season. It's not a normal Summer where one or two might go and you bring a few in. Whatever people thought of them Ruddy, Saiss and Marcal all made at least the 20 man squad when fit and on top of that at least 2 of those were experienced well liked figures around the club. Neves and Traore are likely to leave, Trincao has gone back and we haven't sorted out the Moutinho or MGW situations.

If ever there was a season to come out of the blocks and be proactive in getting some deals done this is it. Still plenty of time yet but I hope they're not wasting their time on wild goose chases for unrealistic targets and players that have no interest in coming.

Last edited:
It's not all summer though is it? If they keep trying to persuade him after a solid 'No' right up until August then fair enough but as far as I'm aware the window's only been open a few days.
Not yet it isn't, but give it time.

Nunes has literally said he is only interested in leaving Sporting for one of the biggest clubs that can compete for trophies.

Can’t knock his ambition. Probably needs to lower his expectations slightly though.

I wonder if Jeff Shi will ever learn from his mistakes before he moves away from Wolves, or if he’ll just carry on making them over & over, patronising anyone who dares to question his methods.

It’s actually laughable at this point.

Away from Jorge Mendes we are completely clueless and none of Mendes’ better clients want to come here.

I wonder if Jeff Shi will ever learn from his mistakes before he moves away from Wolves, or if he’ll just carry on making them over & over, patronising anyone who dares to question his methods.

It’s actually laughable at this point.

Away from Jorge Mendes we are completely clueless and none of Mendes’ better clients want to come here.
Jeff doesn't give a shit as his AskWolves mess of an interview showed.

Jeff doesn't give a shit as his AskWolves mess of an interview showed.
Jeff will only care what his bosses think.

His bosses, who don't really follow football, will be delighted with his performance and he is ticking all the target boxes.

Jeff needs to bin the yes men around him, mainly the football side. He won't so will be stuck in this cycle until either we reach the target to gain outside investment or he fucks it up and his bosses replace him.

Going to guess the forum will be in the he will fuck it up camp. Which of course means, outside investment in 2024 via floating in the stock market.

Back