• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

The difference is if you get a manager that has any form of pull they can apply pressure in certain situations to get resources as and when required. One of Fosuns reasons for choosing Lage would have definitely been the lack of interest in him from clubs at our level. Which basically means he has to accept whatever cards he is dealt, if we qualify for Europe his stock will naturally rise and then it becomes a different story. He might not be so accepting of them having a word in his ear the next time he talks in the press about the players he requires.
We're a big club but I don't think we have the clout to hire any manager who could sufficiently pressure Fosun into spending more.

We're a big club but I don't think we have the clout to hire any manager who could sufficiently pressure Fosun into spending more.
Couple of things to unpick there
a) we don't look for any manager, we ask Mendes who he'd like to have the job. Now it would be disingenuous to say that strategy hasn't worked, Zenga apart and that was port in a storm stuff, but let's not pretend we have a recruitment process
b) without a) a manager would want to know what the budget was, who was likely to leave, what influence he would have in signings, can he be supported to introduce his preferable style of play. We'd be unlikely to land that kind of coach.

Park what you may think of him, but if we'd gone after Gerrard in the Summer we'd either have not got him because he was made aware of the budget or he'd have walked by now because of our lack of delivery. We need someone who will accept the power balance, until such a point, if ever, it tips

Genuinely, when is the last time a manager walked away from a club over monetary issues? Would Gerrard really walk away from us given all other things being equal?

Wilder last season and yes someone with Gerrard's profile would walk if promises were broken imo

I think you over-estimate Gerrard in terms of profile. One Scottish championship is hardly multiple champions leagues.

His stock hasn’t exactly risen at the villa either, what is it 1 win in 9 or something?

I just think most (if not all) managers who would come here would absolutely NOT walk away given our table position, regardless of the transfer policy.

If actual promises were broken (and I don't think we know enough to say that they have been in Bruno's case), then that would change things for me.

I just think most (if not all) managers who would come here would absolutely NOT walk away given our table position, regardless of the transfer policy.

If actual promises were broken (and I don't think we know enough to say that they have been in Bruno's case), then that would change things for me.
Missing my point Alan, it is that we employed a manager who would be accepting of this irrespective of what he was or probably wasn't promised

Fair enough, mate, I just don't think Fosun (or most owners) would bend to their managers that way.

Easy to replace, managers are.

Couple of things to unpick there
a) we don't look for any manager, we ask Mendes who he'd like to have the job. Now it would be disingenuous to say that strategy hasn't worked, Zenga apart and that was port in a storm stuff, but let's not pretend we have a recruitment process
b) without a) a manager would want to know what the budget was, who was likely to leave, what influence he would have in signings, can he be supported to introduce his preferable style of play. We'd be unlikely to land that kind of coach.

Park what you may think of him, but if we'd gone after Gerrard in the Summer we'd either have not got him because he was made aware of the budget or he'd have walked by now because of our lack of delivery. We need someone who will accept the power balance, until such a point, if ever, it tips

I don't think Wolves are all that different to any other club when it comes to managerial appointments. In the top leagues no-one is throwing open a vacancy and waiting for applicants, even when the situation is desperate and they turf out the incumbent it's a world of head hunting more so than anything else. Difference with Wolves being that they outsource the headhunting to Mendes for the most part, as with playing staff, but the end result is largely the same.

As for the player/club power balance, that varies from club to club and manager to manager ad infinitum and that balance will to and fro throughout most tenures. Conte rocked up at Chelsea and became almost untouchable, would've got whatever he wanted, didn't take long to turn sour though and then he lost all his power before being canned. Similar story for him now at Spurs by the looks of things so far but obviously gone South a lot quicker.

Graham Potter probably not a dissimilar situation to Lage, minus the Mendes recruitment. Swansea were taking a punt when they employed him, cheap gamble and someone they'd be able to control given his previous reputation. Then he performed well, built his reputation and gained some clout, soon outgrew Swansea and able to get out of there. Probably reset himself to a largely similar situation by going to Brighton but again he's performed well and now you'd have to say he's got the balance of power in the relationship there.

If Lage gets Wolves top 8 this season and next he'll stand a chance of building his reputation to an extent and perhaps bringing some interest from elsewhere. That would help swing the balance in his favour but at the moment he's still in the clubs shadow, and whilst results largely go his way it's easy for the club to tell him to quiet down and get on with it, it's obviously not that broken.

Missing my point Alan, it is that we employed a manager who would be accepting of this irrespective of what he was or probably wasn't promised
I’m absolutely amazed at your inside knowledge of our club.

Says he wants a centre half (this was after Mosquera), central mdfielder and forward in the Summer window - gets none and says he understands

Says he wants a forward, wide player and centre half in the Winter window - gets none (Chiquinho doesn't count, Bruno said himself he's not ready to play) and says he understands

Says he doesn’t want Adama to go - he goes and says he understands.

I don't think you need to be in the boardroom to see what's happening. At some point the power may tip, but they employed a manager who would be accepting of the transfer strategy and he took the job because it had a higher profile than any other he would have been likely to get. It works mutually until we either look like going down or Bruno's stock is at a level that he can publicly kick off or get a similar job elsewhere

Last edited:
Says he wants a centre half (this was after Mosquera), central mdfielder and forward in the Summer window - gets none and says he understands

Says he wants a forward, wide player and centre half in the Winter window - gets none (Chiquinho doesn't count, Bruno said himself he's not ready to play) and says he understands

Says he doesn’t want Adama to go - he goes and says he understands.

I don't think you need to be in the boardroom to see what's happening. At some point the power may tip, but they employed a manager who would be accepting of the transfer strategy and he took the job because it had a higher profile than any other he would have been likely to get. It works mutually until we either look like going down or Bruno's stock is at a level that he can publicly kick off or get a similar job elsewhere
I have given Bruno the chance and time he deserves but he can’t keep running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. Whatever the merits of his rant about Hoever it shows he is pissed off . He can’t play the way he wants to as he doesn’t have the personnel. For me it’s as simple as that . He therefore is using this half way hybrid system that has miraculously got us to 40 points while Fosun have sold Rui and Traore to reduce the wage bill .We are flaccid as an attacking team. Now we are showing what happens when our defensive unit has a dip in form . We have looked ordinary far too often over the last two seasons . There is only so much this group can do and it has reached its ceiling . I said in January that was as good as it gets . Without new players and a different system we are on the down slide. Losing is an easy habit to get into .
I am hoping that the desire to balance the books is being done because Fosun are about to sell. They are not taking us any further or higher as they don’t want the spend . May can’t come soon enough for me . Then hopefully new owners and three or four new players . I know we will lose some of our stars but who can blame them for going? Jota and Traore will win more where they are now than they could here . Lage has successfully kept us up . Either back him and make the squad his in the summer or bring someone else in and back them. Regardless of who owns the club that’s what should happen . Our kids are not good enough to make the step up and keep us in the top tier . I said last month we would be lucky to get 50 points and , although my tongue was in my cheek I may be closer than I hoped . March hasn’t started well. Watford is a must win

I think Fosun converting their loans into capital sends a signal that they are not about to sell Wolves. They would have negotiated a price for the equity on the basis that the £125million loan was repaid. Having converted the debt ot equity, the £125 million would have been up for negotiation.

As others have mentioned, you don't get to be a conglomerate by fattening up companies with with your own cash to sell them.

It is to soon for even Fosun to tell if the Fosun Sports Group strategy will work. I think they will only consider selling if it looks as though Fosun Sports is going to fail.

That depends if you can get a higher price for a business with less debt (you can…)
What then doesn't stack up is the loans at 7.5% pegged to future guaranteed earnings. Surely you'd be more attractive to buyers without those and the Fosun business loans being higher? Or am I missing something there re FFP and club valuation?

What then doesn't stack up is the loans at 7.5% pegged to future guaranteed earnings. Surely you'd be more attractive to buyers without those and the Fosun business loans being higher? Or am I missing something there re FFP and club valuation?
The Macquarie loans are short term and pegged against future income, so a defined cost. I guess (don’t know) that the Fosun loans are a lot less well defined - if you are buying a club then they make it more difficult to clearly cost the purchase.

I still think they have aspirations and they talked about a 10 year plan when they came in, we just over achieved in the first couple of promoted seasons. The model is clearly the old Arsenal one of bringing through youth and getting money back for those fridge players not part of the long term plans (incl Jota at the time)

Back