• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Clapham was 11 but *technically* I'll allow it as he did play left midfield at the very, very start of his amazing Wolves career.

Micky Gray was 33
Felt like it was Clapham but hedged my bets knowing it was definitely one of the two. Seems weird that Clapham was the one played further forward when Gray was definitely more mobile at that point.

Felt like it was Clapham but hedged my bets knowing it was definitely one of the two. Seems weird that Clapham was the one played further forward when Gray was definitely more mobile at that point.
They were a season apart

Weren't in the same team.

Clapham was 2006 and played ahead of Naylor before we sold him to Celtic, then he went back to LB. Badly. And baldly.

Gray was 2007, Clapham was just about here but only played a token League Cup game before being pied off. Micky played LB, LW and RW for us.

The Wolves squad numbers sins XI:

-------------------------Patricio (11)----------------------

McNamara (7)-------Neill Collins (2)---Williamson (60)----Irwin (8)

Bazeley (3)----------McDonald (11)----Marshall (64)-------Cavaleiro (50)

---------------------Weimann (63)-----Dicko (40)--------------------

Forgot about KMac. Just why.

So looks like Diego Costa will be a wolves player by hopefully tomorrow hasn’t played for a while but maybe just what we need up there obviously not the player he was at Chelsea but could cause opposite defenders problems big and strong may be a handful still at 33

Should be fun if they can get him fit, reminds me a bit of Docherty’s team just before we went bust around about 1984.
He seemed to bring an old has been in every week, Ray Hankin, Tommy Langley, Peter Eastoe, Scott Mcgarvey et al.

Just watched ‘Costa’s greatest premier league goals’ on sky sports app. Can take the positive there that the majority of them aren’t ones where he is relying on pure physical attributes. A lot of them are touch, positioning rather than a rapid press/gut busting run/break.

Has the potential to be a good signing, exciting nonetheless.

In anyone on here’s lifetime, is he the biggest named player we’ve signed? (Could say Irwin/ince but in relative terms that wasn’t when we were a stable prem team)

Just watched ‘Costa’s greatest premier league goals’ on sky sports app. Can take the positive there that the majority of them aren’t ones where he is relying on pure physical attributes. A lot of them are touch, positioning rather than a rapid press/gut busting run/break.

Has the potential to be a good signing, exciting nonetheless.

In anyone on here’s lifetime, is he the biggest named player we’ve signed? (Could say Irwin/ince but in relative terms that wasn’t when we were a stable prem team)
Andy Gray is the biggest signing I can think of watching Wolves in my lifetime. English record signing at the time, I think.
At the peak of his powers as well.

Only have to look at the media attention to answer that. You could argue Moutinho but he didn’t play in England and isn’t controversial like Costa.

Probably agree with Andy Gray pre Fosun era but in the many many years I’ve been a fan it has to be Moutinho although I never realised at the time until I saw him play.

Reactions: b3h
G
Probably agree with Andy Gray pre Fosun era but in the many many years I’ve been a fan it has to be Moutinho although I never realised at the time until I saw him play.
Great footballer (Moutinho) it's all relative I suppose.

That's only because of the advent of 24 hour sports news media in the intervening period.
Was around in 2002…

Irwin was signed in the championship at 36/37. Obviously stellar career but it’s not as big as ‘Diego Costa’. But obviously that is a lot to do with who he is rather than what he is.

I was also only 11 in 2002 so my memory and general understanding not exactly peak.

Last edited:
I remember Alun Evans with his winsome, crooked smile and foppish blonde hair scoring goals every week for Liverpool, then we went and signed him! Wow! I thought we were big time doing that.
Wasn't he the first signing to break £100,000 pounds or something?
No idea what year that was...

Captained England whilst at Wolves.

Think Costa is overblown tbh. Never a superstar, more notorious than great with an average International career. Ince had a better career.

It's worth a punt, but I'm not bought into any of the big name stuff

Costa was really famous for 3-4 years in England. But never in the conversation of 'one of the best ever PL strikers', I doubt he'd make the top 20.

Ince was definitely bigger as was Joao.

Back