• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The 2014/15 Promotion Push Run-In Thread

Surprised Boro won tonight, a month ago I would have had Derby and Norwich as certainties, not going to work out that way it would seem.

Norwich were poor tonight no cutting edge from what I saw.

I think that was a bit of an off day as opposed to the norm for them, they usually score and have been in ridiculous form of late.

Still think it'll be Bournemouth and Watford in the top two places.

Bournemouth have a penalty turned down, a man sent off and concede a last second penalty to draw with Sheff weds. My heart bleeds for them!

With Derby and Brentford drawing we still have a slim chance, I thought we'd get 78 points a few weeks ago and if we win our last 2 that's what we'll have. Hard to see that being enough though.

It's amazing what pressure does to teams, if we could at least take it to the last day is be happy. Ipswich are playing Forrest which won't be a walk over.
At least we can relegate Wigan next weekend.

What does everyone make of our season then?

At the start I would've taken mid table/edge of play-offs but now it looks like we're just going to miss out I'm bitterly disappointed. I've been very critical of the team recently, mainly because I feel that we should be doing much better and at this stage of the season should have much more to look forward to than relegating Wigan and having a big send off for Sako. With the quality in our squad and the lack of quality outside the top 4 we should easily be competing with the likes of B'mouth, Norwich and Boro for the 2 automatic spots. We're a young team but the 'leaders' (Sako, Stearman, Edwards, Ikeme) should've been far better in the run in.

I don't know how anyone can't be disappointed especially when you look at the likes of Ipswich in the play offs and they are without doubt a very average side. A mixture of KJ's tactics, silly mistakes from our big players and the lack of an extra CM signing have cost us big time. Without the terrible run in November we would be comfortably in the play offs and possibly fighting it out for the title as momentum possibly could have dragged us there.

For me i thought we could get promoted and think we have missed a big chance but i'm wise enough to know this year could and should help us next year. However it does put more pressure on the team next year as i expect and many more will expect good investments and a team that challenges for the title.

I think this season has been a step forward, plenty of mistakes but that's obviously going to happen when team is in transition. Its a massive step up from last season where we coasted to games at 50%, we've had to work harder this season meaning mistakes but we've learned so much along the way and we'll be a better team for it next season.

I thought at the start of the season we should be up there and I'm very disappointed we haven't. Looking at where we are likely to finish with very little strengthening and the fact KJ struggled to find a system and strongest 11 for large parts of the season, shows we could and perhaps should have been up there.

It's a big opportunity missed as the league will get harder and there are no guarantees anyway. Plus we will be considerably weaker with the loss of Sako. Still, I hope next season follows the route of Micks third season rather than Hoddle's last

What does everyone make of our season then?

At the start I would've taken mid table/edge of play-offs but now it looks like we're just going to miss out I'm bitterly disappointed. I've been very critical of the team recently, mainly because I feel that we should be doing much better and at this stage of the season should have much more to look forward to than relegating Wigan and having a big send off for Sako. With the quality in our squad and the lack of quality outside the top 4 we should easily be competing with the likes of B'mouth, Norwich and Boro for the 2 automatic spots. We're a young team but the 'leaders' (Sako, Stearman, Edwards, Ikeme) should've been far better in the run in.

We are where most of us thought we would be at the start. About 50 percent said top 10 in the poll.That said its a season of missed opportunities.We beat the three relegated teams 5 out of 6 yet couldn't beat Reading Charlton Birmingham. No disgrace to lose at Bournemouth or Derby but letting a lead slip at Millwall and failing to convert chances at Rotherham has essentially fecked us over. The highs for me were home to Bora and away at Huddersfield. You cant win every game I know but we have won games that we were the underdog in and lost games when we were favourites and thats frustrating. Sako may be top scorer but he does fail to turn up a lot when it really matters. And if we are going to make errors its often when they are really going to cost us. Stearman has been great this season but several of his ricks have cost points. Its not slagging him off its a fact. Afobe would be up there for me as POTY as he has made a real difference in the second half of the campaign. We need four or 5 in whatever our final position if we are to challenge again next year. I know we could still make it but I think we blew it last week- sorry I hope I am wrong but those blue noses fecked us over

Back