• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Just posted something similar in the worst MP thread.

Josh Baker only 20 has died played for Worcestershire this year

Worcestershire CC have announced that spin bowler Josh Baker has died, aged just 20

Sam Hain is back from his personal issues which is good to see
Got a shocker it seems:

28.6 given! Hain is fuming. The final ball before lunch, on a length in the channel outside off stump. Surrey appeal for the caught behind as Hain comes forwards to defend, but Hain thinks the noise is just his bat hitting his front pad. He doubles over in disbelief as the finger goes up! 88/3

Jimmy finishing this summer. While I knew this day would come soon, not ashamed to admit I shed a bit of a tear reading this.

Unreal longevity. I was still at uni when he made his Test debut. I'm 43 now.

I know we have to move on one day but there's already a gap with Broad gone, Woakes isn't going to play away from home ever again (or much longer, as he's 35) and Wood is 34 now with all his long-standing issues. Then a lot of those who haven't played much or even debuted yet don't seem to be the most robust. Or in the case of say, Sam Cook, I don't doubt he'd take wickets for England in England but is he really a bowler for Australia away, which as ever we seem relentlessly focused on to the detriment of everything else. Relying on Archer playing Test cricket again seems far-fetched, we're not sure we can trust him to bowl 4 overs a day as it stands.

I didn't see an issue with giving him the summer, providing he continued to merit a place. Creating a problem you didn't need to (albeit we should beat WI and SL at home regardless).

Planning for an Ashes series is all well and good, but more often than not we can't plan properly for the Test we are currently playing so seems pointless.

Of those on the periphery:

Robinson: Attitude, attitude, attitude
Cook: Superb figures and I like watching him bowl...but as I say I would worry about him being a bit Woakes away from home
Tongue: Not played since August 2023 and no recent news on his recovery
Stone/Mahmood/Archer: Can't stay fit
Potts/Carse: Averaging 62 and 286 (!) respectively with the ball for Durham this season
Atkinson: Maybe, although he doesn't have a huge body of work to pick from
Fisher: Looked nowhere near good enough in his one cap to date
Overtons: Hunchback rubbish
Currans: Popgun rubbish

Last edited:
I remember seeing Jimmy at the World Cup in the West Indies in 2007 and thinking this guy has something.... but never in this world did I think he'd still be playing in 2024. A terrific career, a really professional attitude and a player that will be greatly missed. Maybe he's heading to Burnley .... ;)

Hoping the Lords test goes to day four - bagged a couple of tickets on the punt that will be his last day.

Back