• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Early days, but Warwickshire seem to have remembered how to bat this season after having a year off. 2 100s in 2 innings for Hain although there's not a middle order place available for England
There's not in Tests, but he should easily be ahead of the likes of Vince as a spare batsman in ODI squads.

What on earth has happened to Kent’s bowling attack? 26 overs for Denly, Bell-Drummond and Leaning on day 1???

What on earth has happened to Kent’s bowling attack? 26 overs for Denly, Bell-Drummond and Leaning on day 1???
From the look of it one of Quinn or McKerr has pulled up lame as they have an unfinished over, so that would account for a few.

Having those three as your "spin" options even in April is a poor show nonetheless!

(We haven't picked a proper spinner either but it's because Briggs is still knackered. Yates and Mousley bowl a little bit)

Surprised that you’ve dropped Yates from your international watch list. He was in the A team in the winter of 21/22 after a fine summer. Being pissed about by Farbrace ruined last season for him but he scored a ton today. It’s not as though England have any real openers knocking on the door either.

Last edited:
Surprised that you’ve dropped Yates from your international watch list. He was in the A team in the winter of 21/22 after a fine summer. Being pissed about by Farbrace ruined last season for him but he scored a ton today. It’s not as though England have a real openers knocking on the door either.
Fair, but he did average 17 last season, poor treatment or not.

If he keeps scoring I'll put him back on.

I have to be careful with it as it's not just for here and I don't want to seem too Warks biased :)

Harry Brook was brilliant yesterday, he’s such a talent. Shame I had to watch on mute as the commentary was unbearable!

Warks had Kent 99/7, following on and miles behind.

They're still behind but 273/9 and Evison has 99 and counting from number 9.

Need to get Briggs back ASAP, having no spinner is a bit shit, especially when you're at the mercy of fading light.

Need to get Briggs back ASAP, having no spinner is a bit shit, especially when you're at the mercy of fading light.
I was hoping Bethell would be the spinning option this season, batting at 8. Still very young, but stalling a bit

Australia's squad for the Ashes.

Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

Only 4 front line seam bowlers in it.

I doubt he will play. 3 of the four front line quicks are very good and Boland is fucking hostile. Surprisingly enough the general consensus in these parts is they will win at a canter. Hopefully they are all crying into their XXXX gold and the coverage of our victory is consigned to one line on about page 11 of the sport section in the papers.

Their bowling attack is very good. Will be interesting to see how we prepare the wickets and bat against them.

I was hoping Bethell would be the spinning option this season, batting at 8. Still very young, but stalling a bit
Jacob and Dan Mousley are going to be really good cricketers. As you say, Bethell's very young (as is Dan) but it augers well for Warwickshire in the future. Both came through the age groups at Kenilworth Wardens as did Josh Baker at Worcestershire. Henry Cullen (keeper batsman) had an excellent season in the Birmingham Premier last season and Worcestershire have been having a good look at him. Tommy Rex is also a really good prospect and is on Warwickshire's books.

Gary Ballance has retired completely. Only committed to Zimbabwe a few weeks ago.

Back