• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The F1 Thread

Sorry, but I do not think Petrov should have given way. They were battling for position on the track, and Petrov rightly defended his position. If there had been an issue, the stewards would have held up blue flags. The real problem was yet another track on which overtaking was very difficult.

You do realise my post was soaked in sarcasm don't you?

Fernando Alonso is the first non Red Bull person to come and congratulate Sebastian. Just like he was first to congratulate Lewis on his title. Terrible loser.

Fernando Alonso is the first non Red Bull person to come and congratulate Sebastian. Just like he was first to congratulate Lewis on his title. Terrible loser.

His act with Petrov = bad loser.
It's not a one off either, which is a shame for me as he is one of the best drivers in the world.

Biggest disappointment of the day was Webber. A poor drive in my eyes, and seemingly the pressure got to him this weekend.

Clearly NandoWolf doesn't like it when his precious Alonso gets criticised. Diddums.

There are some fantastic new tracks on the circuit. I just wish overtaking was not nigh on impossible at some of them. I hope this is addressed over the coming months. Otherwise we could end up with lots of races similar to the Hungarian grand prix. Which I for one do not want.

The layout at Abu Dhabu is ridiculous, long straights followed by a chicane, good thinking Tilke.

The facilities at these modern tracks are unbelievable, but the racing is dire with the possible exception of Malaysia which is a great track although 2010 was it's 11th year on the calendar, scary!

The layout at Abu Dhabu is ridiculous, long straights followed by a chicane, good thinking Tilke.

The facilities at these modern tracks are unbelievable, but the racing is dire with the possible exception of Malaysia which is a great track although 2010 was it's 11th year on the calendar, scary!

I agree Nando, some amazing new tracks, but is the racing any better. The greatest skill in motor racing is overtaking at high speed. They do this in the Indy Car series.

Tilke seems to have only one template in track design. He emasculates racing and makes a pit crew as important as the driver. tedious.

My mate has said the same. It's like he's got a Scalextric set and has to fit every bit in at some point.

IndyCar/CART/IRL is nowhere near the level of Formula One. The cars are purely designed for oval racing, therefore overtaking (if you have a superior car) is pretty simple.

Hopefully with the banning of the double diffusers and the reintroduction of KERS, the racing might be slightly more enjoyable.

We've had all this talk about this being the most exciting F1 season for years, bullshit has it. How many on track battles have we seen between the top drivers? 2? It's only close because of mechanical problems for the Red Bulls.

Last edited:
We've had all this talk about this being the most exciting F1

This year has been great but not really about exciting races.

We've had the Red Bull war between Webber and Vettell
Alonso struggling then suddenly charging up and looking odds on to win the title
Hamilton pushing the McLaren, at time beyond what was expected and sometimes into spaces that did not exist
Schumacher struggling to get back in the "groove" (speaking of him, how lucky was he not to have a Force India tyre smash against his head today)
The Ferrari Team Orders
4 Drivers all with a shout of the title going into the last race

The only really exciting racing incidents have generally involved accidents (Webber flying through the air, Vettel nailing Webber or Webber nailing Vettel. Schumacher trying to kill Barrichello.

Todays race would have been great if there was more than one area where overtaking was possible. Alonso would have finished higher, maybe even Webber would have tried a bit harder. Hamilton would have been chasing Vettel down. In the end it was all about a solid race from the leader, frustration for the others and a bad pit call.

the championship was decided behind the pit wall, and not on the track. ferrari had abominable brainfade, but that hardly makes exciting racing. The track today annoyed the hell out of me - very pretty but just shit. For instance, the back straight was originally intended to end with a real pig of a left hander, just over ninety degrees and a chance for the driver with the biggest balls to outbrake and overtake. Tilke puts in the most pointless chicane this side of the bus stop in, and ruins the corner completely.

Schumi's lucky to have his head still on his shoulders. Could have been hideous.

I'd rather see two drivers going at each other hammer and tongs like Alonso/Kimi in 05 and Schumi/Alonso 06, or the titanic 07 battle on track than what we've had this season. When the Red Bulls have been on song, with the excpetion of mechanical failures they've pretty much walked it but those failures have made it much more 'interesting' than it should have been. Have I been excited by any races this season? Montreal was terrific, that's about it with the excpetion of the weather affected races.

The new regualtions (narrower and taller rear wings, removal of all the additional little aero parts etc) was supposed to make the racing better, but looking back at races in 05/06/07 there was far more on track action between the top guys than we have had in the past two seasons.

Hulkenberg dropped by Wiliiams. It's a sad day for F1 when Williams are having to rely on a pay driver. Maldonado (who I presume will be given the drive) is extremely average. Nico deserves his seat in F1, I hope he finds a new drive.

Not all indy car races are on ovals. And their drivers are as good as in F1, they just dont follow each other in formation for 60 laps.

Absolute tripe Waggy, Bourdais was the best IndyCar driver came to F1 and couldn't even match his team mate at Toro Rosso. Stick him up against the big boys and he'd have been destroyed.

Although it's coming up to 20 years ago, Mansell left for America and was immediately on the pace. There are some decent drivers in IndyCar, none are at the standard of the top guys in F1. Only Montoya and Villeneuve, who were both excellent on the road courses have come to F1 and had good careers in the last 15 or so years.

Didnt Michael Andretti come over to F1 for a couple of seasons

Nando, you obviously know a lot more than I do about motor racing, so I will concede to you, but I prefer watching Indy car, because they can overtake. Usually in F1, the leader after the first lap ends up winner.

Back