• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The "Grow Your Own" Thread

Not mowing yet. It's still only feb! Some grass is probably growing, but not all of it. I need to do a serious amount of scarifying.

This weekend I did weed the veg patch, and emptied out 2 composters. Last weekend I dug up some roots from some unusual bush or summat the previous owners left behind. I have to move a different bush to that shaded area.

Need to purchase some grass seed, but that can wait.

My burn bin died a death a month or so ago, so waiting for them to be available.

Planning reviewing what seeds I have (and what I need to buy) at some point this week.

I have spent this week eating blackcurrent & raspberry crumble, made with the pickings from last summer. Fortunately there is still some fruit frozen, so more crumble will be made!

I'm a few degrees further south so temperature is a little higher - needed to give the lawns a first cut ASAP as it was wet right at the end of the last growing season so was longer then it should have been. Will need another go as soon as I can get onto it.

Have already finished anything I grew last year - the last of the raspberries & blackberries that I had picked & frozen went about a month ago.

Not mowing yet. It's still only feb! Some grass is probably growing, but not all of it. I need to do a serious amount of scarifying.

This weekend I did weed the veg patch, and emptied out 2 composters. Last weekend I dug up some roots from some unusual bush or summat the previous owners left behind. I have to move a different bush to that shaded area.

Need to purchase some grass seed, but that can wait.

My burn bin died a death a month or so ago, so waiting for them to be available.

Planning reviewing what seeds I have (and what I need to buy) at some point this week.

I have spent this week eating blackcurrent & raspberry crumble, made with the pickings from last summer. Fortunately there is still some fruit frozen, so more crumble will be made!

I'm a few degrees further south so temperature is a little higher - needed to give the lawns a first cut ASAP as it was wet right at the end of the last growing season so was longer then it should have been. Will need another go as soon as I can get onto it.

Have already finished anything I grew last year - the last of the raspberries & blackberries that I had picked & frozen went about a month ago.

Having re read this thread - have found that I have done the first cut on the lawns on exactly the same day as last year.

Coincidence or spooky?

lovely weekend, so mowed the lawn and scarified yesterday. decided to wait for some sunshine for planting seeds, and that arrived today.
so, planted lots of marigolds, and a few sweet peas.
sown a load of tomato seeds, a few cucumbers, and some peppers.
next week, will sow peas, beans, parsnips, thyme, sunflowers, more marigolds, and lavender.

emptied the composter onto the veg patch a month ago, so spent some of the afternoon hoe-ing that in.
got a load of bulbs out the shed, and replanted the ones I'd dug up.

blueberry plant has buds, raspberries and blackcurrant plants both have their leaves open.

A mass of spring flowers in the front border from bulbs I planted at the end of last year - colourful & incredibly cheap as well

Have you tried planting a slice of tomato yet, did it last year, its a good laugh when 30 seeds all germinate at once :)

Not yet!
With the forecast of lower temperatures, have delayed the 2nd round of planting til next weekend.

peas, beans, parsnips, thyme, sunflowers, more marigolds still not yet sown as it went cooler, and limited space in the tiny greenhouse.
sown lavender and some more lettuce today, as none of the original lettuce has sprouted yet, and seem to recall 1 lot of seeds didn't do well last year.

noticed some marigolds have started, as have a few sweet peas and most of the cucumbers. think one pepper is starting. no movement on the toms yet.

blueberry plant looks the best it ever has done, looks stronger with better branches. blackcurrant leaves are open, and both have flowers appearing. raspberries starting to bud too.

hoping to sow the rest of stuff at the weekend.

peas, beans, parsnips, thyme sown today.

no more room in the greenhouse for anything.
sunflowers, marigolds and more parsnips will have to wait.
supposed to warm up a bit, so some of the big pots with bulbs/fuscias will be able to come out of the greenhouse soon, creating a bit more room.

also done a mini repair, as somehow the bird table/house was broken. It is only a cheapo thing, but can't understand how the main stem has snapped. anyway, simply screwed the remainder to a fence post. downside is I now need to repaint it!

sunflowers, marigolds and more parsnips finally planted. hoping it stays ok for a bit, as have the marigolds outside at the mo, owing to space.

moved a bush, and planted out a fuscia this morning.

sweet peas sprouting, as are the first marigolds. first lettuce showing too, and a few tomatoes springing up. think a couple of peas might be sprouting too.

BASTARD GODFORESAKEN CUNTING SLUGS AND SNAILS A POX ON YOUR FUCKING HOUSES!!!! :argh:

BASTARD GODFORESAKEN CUNTING SLUGS AND SNAILS A POX ON YOUR FUCKING HOUSES!!!! :argh:

Not to mention the squirrel who digs up everything in my pots to bury stuff it has nicked off the bird table

We're not to bad from a squirrel point of view, suspect the recently acquired cat (hello ruben!) sees to that.

Have had to sow more toms, and will sow more marigolds too as a result.

Trying to avoid putting slug pellets down, owing to the aforementioned cat.

On the positive side, the sweet peas are doing well, and a number of peas have sprouted (I love peas, but have never had any luck growing them.)

I'm away for a couple of days next week. When I come home I'll be starting planting out.

Started ordering seeds, starting to get excited

#sadsod

what you ordered mate?
I'll just be sowing most of the contents of the seed tin to finish off what's in there. think I need to get some leeks, but otherwise it'll be what is already in.

Brussel sprouts, carrots, beetroot etc, I'm also going to try sweetcorn, might look at supplying Kellogs :)
The tomatoes, cucumber and courgettes I buy as young plants from a local garden centre at bit later on.

Haven't started thinking about it yet.

Working away loads for the next 4-6 months so might just buy tomato plants, courgettes, etc.

I know my lawn needs a long mow already, a good month before it did last year.

Not vegetable related but I purchased a tree last year to put in the garden and the idea is that my dogs ashes will be buried next to it. I haven't done it yet as I didn't want it to interfere with its growth to begin with.

Anyway it chocabloc full of pink blossom. Don't ask me what kind it is as all that I do know is that its not a cherry blossom. In these uncertain times its at least giving me the pleasure of remembering the big smelly fecker and is something of colour in this drab world.

Panic buy vegetable seeds not bog rolls

Back