• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Jack the Ripper Case - SOLVED (apparently)

Yes the 1988 centenary occasion when the Michael Caine/Lewis Collins film was screened for the first time. I think that was when my interest began. I have watched it many times since though not agreeing with their Sir William Gull/John Netley conclusion

It's bullshit, but fair play to the scientist for at least publishing in a peer review journal. It's a follow up to the russell edwards book from a couple of years ago:
https://twitter.com/AdamRutherford/status/1107613730970525696

elsewhere, theres a lot of chatter about hallie rubenholds book the five. she suggests none of the canonical 5 were prostitutes, and that they were rough sleepers killed whilst asleep. bizarre theory that is getting a lot of weird online attention.

Hmmmm interesting, will have to get that one too

I must say James Kelly was a pretty convincing suspect in the Prisoner 1157 book

to be honest mate, the russell edwards book isn't all that, though I think it is one of those on the list of ones I have to give away (we must try to sort something if I am able to get to another game this season).

The Tully book is exceptionally well written, and form me James Kelly isn't forced down your throat as a suspect. The author does a much better job of presenting him as being in the area, and letting you make up your own mind a lot more.

Yes I agree, focusses a fair bit on the victims and their backgrounds having painted a picture of what kind of character Kelly was in early chapters.

I must say given the background, presence and mental state of Kelly in the 1880s it is very easy to form the conclusion that he was involved

About 2/3 through re-reading Philip Sugden's book and I'm still none the wiser. I'll have to pick up a few of the ones you listed above LJ and start reading through them. I love Sugden's Complete JtR solely for the lengths he went to during his research to provide factual evidence, there is no obvious agenda and no theorising. One thing that always stood out to me was how the murders stopped after the double event in early October up to Mary Kelly's murder in early November while the police were toying with the idea of using bloodhounds, surely there is no way an insane escaped convict would know that was happening at the time and know that the tactic had fallen by the wayside?

Booz, you got through about 100 pages of that book in 2015. You re-reading, or just a slow reader :icon_lol:

You interested in any of the books in post 170 mate? I'll be there tonight, and sunday if you are. free to a good home.

I ought to add, that Sugdens research is very thorough. However, he does seem driven to disregard kosminski as a suspect.

I can't think of a single book I've read where I've felt the author has nailed it. Some books add weight to a suspect, but that feeling tends to be temporary, and may well dissolve when I read the next book. Occasionally a book will give me a new perspective on a particular issue, but rarely on a suspect.

The october gap is interesting. Was JtR indisposed? In prison? Ill? Family keeping him under lock and key? Or was there too much heat on the ground?

Sugden does dismiss Kosminski pretty much out of hand, but with the reasoning he offers it’s pretty much hard to argue with him. Kosminski’s mental decline was in full swing during the murders to the point he was refusing food, eating scraps out of gutters and didn’t even wash. Would he have had the frame of mind to carry out these premeditated murders AND evade detection by minutes? Personally I doubt it but there’s nothing concrete either way. I still think George Chapman has the most damning evidence pointing towards him to be honest, again there’s nothing concrete but the facts all point him out to at least be one of the most obvious prime suspects.

As for the October lull I can’t look past the possibility of the killer knowing that the police were entertaining the idea of using bloodhounds to track the killer. Was this tactic publicised? Was the fact the police fucked it up by non-payment to the owner of the dogs publicised?

I don't think there is any evidence regarding Chapman personally. The quote attributed to abberline seems to be false. Also, most SK's don't change their MO (his other murders were poisoning).
Take all your points re sugden/kosminski. John Malcolms "another dead end" book is an interesting read that gave me a lot to think about regarding kosminski and how the police viewed him.

The bloodhounds were publicised. Charles Warren apparently was involved in the tests in hyde park, and the press battered him when the "test runs" went wrong.
Also important to remember that vigilance committees were being set up in oct, so there would have been vigilantes about. It also became clear there was a serial killer in the east end. However, given the risks he took with all the victims prior (and I include tabram, as I think she was a first victim) being done so publicly, I'm unsure whether fear of the police was a reason for not acting in october. I think it was another reason, but don't know why.

As we spoke last night, let me know if you want any of the books. Given our chat, I'd recommend the letters from hell book. I thought I had a copy of the sourcebook, but it isn't on the list! Any you want, I'll bring with me.

Some serial killers do change their MO though, look at the Zodiac killer for starters. Chapman left for the US around the time the murders stopped, and it’s reported there were similar grisly deaths start up over there after he’d moved. He’d been in London around 18 months before the murders started. He had a history of violence towards women and even though the poisonings were a world apart from carving women up, he still watched them suffer a painful death, albeit just slower. Again his method there was to kill undetected. I think there’s merit there even though there’s no concrete evidence.

The test runs with the dogs going wrong was a false report, that test never ran and the press reported it incorrectly. Neither here nor there though in the grand scheme of things. I think the heat was the main reason he stopped killing for over a month but could be totally wrong.

I’ll let you know about the books mate, I may just get them for Kindle, they’re dirt cheap at the moment.

I am no expert here, but most serial killers right into their spree don't seem to stop because of heat. They might change things to be less obvious, but they still enjoy their work.

I am assuming you JTR aficionados also hold an interest in the Yorkshire Ripper case?

There was a superb 3-part documentary on last week: The Yorkshire Ripper Case Files: A Very British Crime Story.

Very in depth and interesting and well worth a watch if old Pete interests you.

It intrigues me to think of the mystery surrounding JTR that Sutcliffe was a relatively modern day version of Jack who had the north of England gripped in fear for a few years but once arrested he appeared to be a regular, insignificant kind of guy and maybe similar to what the real Jack may have been like.

Unbelievable that so much weight was given to the hoax tapes especially as Sutcliffe was interviewed 9 times and looked so much like the photofits given by survivors

Yorkshire ripper doesn't do it for me, though the red riding quartet (fiction set initially around the time of the murders) is a good read.

Initially I was going to say most other SK's have little interest for me. However, a quick perusal of my bookshelves suggests that isn't true. I seem to have a big interest in JtR, and then a minor interest in other unsolved crimes. So I've a few books on the hammersmith nudes/jack the stripper crimes, 2 books on the zodiac case, and I recently started reading Lost Girls, by robert kolker, that will be on netflix in march (I didn't know that when I started it, and I'm hoping it gathers pace soon). I also read Helter Skelter last year, but actually don't read loads of true crime.

Mainly just whitechapel 1888 :)

I do like true crime. Besides JTR, Yorkshire Ripper, The Wests and The Krays are of particular interest.

Jack is the daddy though with the mystery which has kept it going plus I am very interested in the Victorian era and Victorian London so JTR ticks all the boxes for me.

I doubt it. The whole Maybrick diary story stinks of fake. Perhaps they have a new edition to promote.

Just re-read They All Love Jack. Honestly one of the best researched things I've ever read. The diary is a fake - his brother made it up to frame him as the ripper.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...ory-of-jack-the-rippers-wolverhampton-victim/

the first part of this article is horrendous;
the first image is not katherine eddowes
there is no evidence the ripper had 11 victims. There's no real consensus as to the number of victims. Stride (referenced in the article) was quite likely killed by a different weapon to that which killed eddowes, and a lot of people feel stride is not a ripper victim. There were 11 victims in the "whitechapel murders" files between 1888-1891, but no consensus on the same killer (or even that all of them were murders!)
the 2nd image is the finding of polly nichols, and does not show mitre square
it's horrible referencing her as a "sex slave". The TC tattoo was in reference to her first common law husband, Thomas Conway.
It's also not correct to argue she was gin-ridden or an alcoholic. She was arrested once for drunkenness.
She was never arrested for prostitution/solicitation.
None of the murders occurred on a "smog shrouded street". There was virtually no smog in late 1888.
Edward Watkins was a City PC, not a peeler. There were significant injuries committed to her corpse.
penny dreadfuls were the newspapers of the day (tabloids). Eddowes sold chap-books.
Fucking hell, I could go on. But there are well researched books on Eddowes available. Pisses me off to see such woeful reporting and mis-representation.

Back