• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

James were ace! 2 new songs (doubt they'll remain that way, sure they'll re-work them before they record them). Also played strip mine, hymn from a village, brilliant version of "of monsters and men" which had been a bit of an earworm for me recently.

Decent sound too. Venue was ok, but I think that o2 academy venues are generally the worst planned places. Too hot, the place was all metal, and the sightlines were really poor.

Elbow & steve mason friday :)

James doing Sit Down with Peter Kay for Comic Relief. I had forgotten what a great song that is. Great lyrics.

Oh my God. I just bought Micro's buffday pressie, a MIKU guitar pedal. This will be fucking mental.

OH FUCKING YES

Just found out that my friends and my wife have organised for me to go to Bloodstock again. Not just tickets. Not just VIP camping. But VIP backstage weekend tickets. Going to be a fucking blast! So many people playing that I can't wait to do meet and greet. I even promise to be nice to Dave Mustaine!

OH $#@!ING YES

Just found out that my friends and my wife have organised for me to go to Bloodstock again. Not just tickets. Not just VIP camping. But VIP backstage weekend tickets. Going to be a $#@!ing blast! So many people playing that I can't wait to do meet and greet. I even promise to be nice to Dave Mustaine!

out of interest, how loud do the metal events get? do people wear ear protectors or is that unnecessary. sounds a great pressie for you anyway

I didn't know where else to put this, but here's a blog by a girl who went to Glastonbury after suffering a horrendous crime at the hands of people she trusted, and just how amazing some people can be towards complete strangers.

https://lifeonlauralane.wordpress.com/

out of interest, how loud do the metal events get? do people wear ear protectors or is that unnecessary. sounds a great pressie for you anyway

Sorry to be so slow responding

The loudest gigs I ever went to were Motorhead at Hammersmith Odeon Merry Bastard Christmas tour in about 1989, and Nuclear Assault in a venue holding 400 (where they used the same set up they had the night before in a venue for 4000).

Both were mind-blowingly loud. A lot of people do wear ear protection. I have personally never bothered. Your ears buzz for a day or so, but that's it.

For festivals, sometimes I am not sure the outside actually helps this type of music. Slayer at Sonisphere were disappointingly quiet as the sound all went up. In a venue with a roof they are usually fucking LOUD as well.

Saxon were a very loud band back in the day. Maiden were loud around 1988 - 1990. When I have seen them since they haven't been up there for volume.

Prodigy are very loud too thinking about it. Metallica can be. They certainly were on the Damaged Justice tour.

For Bloodstock, the main rig is pretty substantial and with it being only about 10-12,000 people there it is easy to get pretty close to the front so the volume can be excellent.

My idea of a good volume level is when the drummer hits the bass pedals and it feels so powerful against your gut that you almost shit yourself. That means it is just about loud enough.

Sorry to be so slow responding

The loudest gigs I ever went to were Motorhead at Hammersmith Odeon Merry Bastard Christmas tour in about 1989, and Nuclear Assault in a venue holding 400 (where they used the same set up they had the night before in a venue for 4000).

Both were mind-blowingly loud. A lot of people do wear ear protection. I have personally never bothered. Your ears buzz for a day or so, but that's it.

For festivals, sometimes I am not sure the outside actually helps this type of music. Slayer at Sonisphere were disappointingly quiet as the sound all went up. In a venue with a roof they are usually $#@!ing LOUD as well.

Saxon were a very loud band back in the day. Maiden were loud around 1988 - 1990. When I have seen them since they haven't been up there for volume.

Prodigy are very loud too thinking about it. Metallica can be. They certainly were on the Damaged Justice tour.

For Bloodstock, the main rig is pretty substantial and with it being only about 10-12,000 people there it is easy to get pretty close to the front so the volume can be excellent.

My idea of a good volume level is when the drummer hits the bass pedals and it feels so powerful against your gut that you almost $#@! yourself. That means it is just about loud enough.

I've been to some loud gigs and I think it has affected my hearing, so it's partly why I ask.

I pick up ear protectors these days at some of the gigs - don't always wear them, but it's just in case and sometimes I have.

I guess I just imagined the metal bands trying to outdo each other.

my main concern was if I started to get deaf, I might start thinking phil collins was ok.

Only ever been to a couple that i thought were too loud Uriah Heep and Frank Marino, was deaf for days :)

It was fabled that John Paul Jones 8 string bass at Knebworth '79 with Zep was shaking cups off tables half a mile away :)

Apparently Manowar are STAGGERINGLY LOUD.

Never seen them live but I keep meaning to tick that box some day.

I followed Smashing Pumpkins around Europe a few years ago, was up at the front most nights and those gigs were seriously loud. Jimmy Chamberlin is a hard hitter and Billy Corgan used to have that modified Soul Power Marshall cab that was supersonic levels of loud.

Back