• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

Sign of the times (not just Covid) that Q is closing. Used to buy it pretty much every month from the mid 90s to the mid 00s. One of those though where I can bang on about how sad it is, when was the last time I got one? I just don't buy physical media any more and they totally fucked up their online strategy.

Sign of the times (not just Covid) that Q is closing. Used to buy it pretty much every month from the mid 90s to the mid 00s. One of those though where I can bang on about how sad it is, when was the last time I got one? I just don't buy physical media any more and they totally fucked up their online strategy.

Shame. My dad left.me boxes of them,.some as old as 1986.

Was a great mag in its day.

Damn, that is tempting...

i can remember when poppies say GRRrr was joint single of the week in NME.
i bought the single from whereever and it was packaged in a brown paper bag with a bit of sellotape stuck on it and the track listing looking like it was done on an old school typewriter.
those were the days

i bought the single from whereever and it was packaged in a brown paper bag with a bit of sellotape stuck on it and the track listing looking like it was done on an old school typewriter.
those were the days

I treated myself to the limited edition orange vinyl and also decided to get it on cd... Bloody love it, I forgot how good they were

I treated myself to the limited edition orange vinyl and also decided to get it on cd... Bloody love it, I forgot how good they were

Come on mate you never trust anybody or anything from Stourbridge, it's another world down there :)

Come on mate you never trust anybody or anything from Stourbridge, it's another world down there :)

f6c30516196f2a2f66e22dabbfcf5aaca8d9bfff.jpg

those were the days

I've only just seen this, yeah I lasted as long as it took to finish typing. Had a quick spin when it turned up the other week but Im busy again at the moment which is good and bad!

Thats someone who doesn't understand or know the market he is in, and to be successful it demonstrates how little the artists are considered.

I dont buy much physical music these days, but then I dont listen to that much new stuff. If I do find someone I like I tend to buy a CD or Vinyl. I still like to think of music as a physical entity, if that makes me a ludite then so be it.

I've only just seen this, yeah I lasted as long as it took to finish typing. Had a quick spin when it turned up the other week but Im busy again at the moment which is good and bad!

poppies say GRRrrr max price per discogs now £48. that's more like it as at one point it was low, no doubt cos those who own it hang onto it. shows the limitations of a market priced site like that for valuing what you have.

as for the spotify guy, unfortunately he probably does know the market as he's making a fortune from it. it's definitely exploitative though and though spotify is convenient i personally don't think people should use it. he's basically saying make more music so i can exploit you more and who cares about the quality.

if you know the music you like and are prepared to pay for physical copies then you don't need to use things like spotify anyway. i buy quite a lot of new stuff and almost exclusively on vinyl.

poppies say GRRrrr max price per discogs now £48. that's more like it as at one point it was low, no doubt cos those who own it hang onto it. shows the limitations of a market priced site like that for valuing what you have.

as for the spotify guy, unfortunately he probably does know the market as he's making a fortune from it. it's definitely exploitative though and though spotify is convenient i personally don't think people should use it. he's basically saying make more music so i can exploit you more and who cares about the quality.

if you know the music you like and are prepared to pay for physical copies then you don't need to use things like spotify anyway. i buy quite a lot of new stuff and almost exclusively on vinyl.

Problem is the memory of paying £15.99 for a single CD is too fresh in many people's minds. And is the surge in vinyl not really about just getting fans to pay £25 upwards for hard copy and keeping labels and publishers revenues up rather than supporting artists - see also live gigs at inflated prices? Which is not to say there shouldn't be a middle ground and that needing a 1million plays to generate 10p for artists or whatever is unfair but purely from a user's point of view, Spotify works, hence the success and if it wasn't them it would A.N.Other company. From the industry standpoint it has also massively reduced if not completely removed piracy.

I do wonder if the next step is a similar single platform for licensed written content

Problem is the memory of paying £15.99 for a single CD is too fresh in many people's minds. And is the surge in vinyl not really about just getting fans to pay £25 upwards for hard copy and keeping labels and publishers revenues up rather than supporting artists - see also live gigs at inflated prices? Which is not to say there shouldn't be a middle ground and that needing a 1million plays to generate 10p for artists or whatever is unfair but purely from a user's point of view, Spotify works, hence the success and if it wasn't them it would A.N.Other company. From the industry standpoint it has also massively reduced if not completely removed piracy.

I do wonder if the next step is a similar single platform for licensed written content

yeah, i remember the expensive cd days and suffered as much as anyone. vinyl in my experience is £15-£20, maybe a bit more for special edition stuff.

i agree someone else would be ripping off or trying to rip off the artists if it wasn't spotify, and historically it was always the case via the band manager or record companies, though they at least will also have lost loads of money on some bands.

but that doesn't justify spotify's rip off imo. it may be that i just don't need it or use it very much so take a harder line. it's true there's a massive convenience factor for many people.

these days there are other sources for getting digital albums/tracks such as bandcamp or even via bands' own sites, so nobody really needs to have expensive vinyl copies if they don't want, but i just think people could try to support the initiators of the music they like more than some fat middleman.

as for gigs, i've maybe paid more than £20 only a handful of times. i usually try to avoid big venues. i remember seeing a band twice in a year for £5 and £7.50 and next time they toured it was like £40+, so guess what...

Yeah I meant that he knows his market, but not the product (ie bands) that he is pushing. Hes just selling convenience.

I am being a hypocrite here because I do listen to it, but as I listen to radio I use it to find new music and try before I buy. Although they made more during the CD years, the Music shops like HMV made ridiculous amounts of money, its one of the reasons why they were too slow to react to the change in the market/technology.

I don't mind paying higher ticket prices for giggs so much as that is how Bands make their money these days, what is upsetting is that the small to medium sized venues are struggling. As soon as anyone has any sniff of success they are on the Stadium tour circuit to make up the money, most of these venues are pretty soulless.

The Who are popping some youtube footage out that looks quite interesting.
They're making it available free, encouraging donations to teenage cancer trust and their US equivalent:
https://join-together.org/

Seen that Hang Massive and also Steve Mason are doing gigs in march/april next year.

In usual times I'd be thinking of going to both, but I still can't envisage gigs happening at the moment personally.

In usual times I'd be thinking of going to both, but I still can't envisage gigs happening at the moment personally.
I’ve seen quite a few bands/artists announcing tours around then and like you I’m hesitant to buy tickets.

Glad to know I am not alone!
Both are good, small venues. Tickets will be affordable, but right now I just don't see the point in buying any tickets.
Will see how things look at christmas. However Baddiel was due as lockdown happened. Have gone full circle, as he rearranged it to october, and that's the only thing I still have in the diary for this year. Fully expect it to be postponed again, or even cancelled.

I can't see me choosing to attend an indoor event for a while.

Surprised no one has been setting up any form of outdoor shows. Possibly the fears about cramming at the front is an issue. Think just the tonic are setting up some outdoor comedy events over nottingham way.

Back