• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Thoughts

GLASGOWOLF

You OK Hun?
Reaction score
Whilst I love how we are playing, and cannot see us failing to win the Championship let alone Promotion.
I love the opposition managers saying we are the best they have played, I am finding the press write up's calling us the Man City of the Championship, and saying we would be top Mid Table in the prem with no further additions somewhat embarrassing.

Whilst I am grateful Nuno is so level headed and composed all he is focusing on is the Blues game, It does worry me if the fans start believing that, or even worse the players, we could be in for a tough time.

Whilst we all know that we are a good footballing team, I think we do need to strengthen in some areas to hit that magical 6 - 10 in the Prem.
What a wonderful time to be a Wolves fan, especially the older one's like me who remember the late 60's early 70's to see us heading back where we belong, there is still a way to go before we can challenge the teams in the top 10.

If players became complacent then Nuno would kick them up the backside. Just as he has done after (the few) mistakes have been made.

We *are* the Man City of the Championship in that we score way more goals than anyone else, we play better football than anyone else, we're miles clear at the top, we're actually improving as we go along and it's very hard to see anyone catching us unless something weird happens.

I don't think anyone is saying we're ready right now to have a tilt at the Europa League spots. Fosun definitely won't think that and nor will the manager.

I think we will go up this season, barring an horrendous injury list hitting us can't see how we don't go up. However talk of challenging for sixth is very premature. No way we break into the top 6 of Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs next season. With good acquisitions in key areas think I think a top 10 finish isn't out of the equation as after the Top 6, there is not a lot of quality in a lot of the squads and they are all much of a muchness.

It’s easy to get carried away. I have.

For most football fans it is rare moments in time when your club is on the up and it is for those times that you endure season after season of mediocrity and failure.

Was at the game on Saturday and had 4 mates with me, of which 3 are not Wolves fans. One said as we left the ground that we are the best Championship side he has ever seen. When I commented that we were playing in 2nd/3rd gear, they all agreed - that's scary.

An interesting point they raised was how much space Neves was getting. Generally the Championship is known to be a league where you get little time on the ball, but this wasn't the case on Saturday. Neves had ages to pick out his passes and that won't be the case in the Premier League. We all agreed Neves has the ability to take his game up to a higher level (as can the majority of our team IMO) - but whether it's to the level that's being mentioned here, only time will tell.

What I am absolutely loving this season is the way we are swatting teams away. We're going in to games thinking "we should keep a clean sheet against this lot", or "we can beat these lot by 3-4 goals", and we're doing it. There's no let up - we are just too good for this league.

My one concern is perhaps we go in to our shell a little bit when we concede and there's no need to. Against both Leeds & Bolton, there were 5-10 minutes directly after they scored where we seemed to stop playing our own game and got a little nervous. We don't need to do that, but really, it's splitting hairs because we've been brilliant this season so far and we haven't even hit top gear yet.

Was at the game on Saturday and had 4 mates with me, of which 3 are not Wolves fans. One said as we left the ground that we are the best Championship side he has ever seen. When I commented that we were playing in 2nd/3rd gear, they all agreed - that's scary.

An interesting point they raised was how much space Neves was getting. Generally the Championship is known to be a league where you get little time on the ball, but this wasn't the case on Saturday. Neves had ages to pick out his passes and that won't be the case in the Premier League. We all agreed Neves has the ability to take his game up to a higher level (as can the majority of our team IMO) - but whether it's to the level that's being mentioned here, only time will tell.

What I am absolutely loving this season is the way we are swatting teams away. We're going in to games thinking "we should keep a clean sheet against this lot", or "we can beat these lot by 3-4 goals", and we're doing it. There's no let up - we are just too good for this league.

My one concern is perhaps we go in to our shell a little bit when we concede and there's no need to. Against both Leeds & Bolton, there were 5-10 minutes directly after they scored where we seemed to stop playing our own game and got a little nervous. We don't need to do that, but really, it's splitting hairs because we've been brilliant this season so far and we haven't even hit top gear yet.

I didn't go Saturday, but from what I've seen of Neves is that he creates that space down to his speed of thought and how quickly he can move the ball on if he needs to. I can't see why that would change when he's playing in the PL unless someone is going to man mark him for the whole game.

As I said in my article post-Bolton, it doesn't matter if there's a man on or near Neves. He wants the ball anyway. He'll deal with the marker later. And he does.

Notice how Michael Carrick always has "loads of time" in the Premier League. Has done for 15 years or so. He makes it look easy (when of course it isn't), I don't doubt that Ruben will prosper similarly.

Part of it is the formation. The 3 centre backs and and 2 midfielders always have an easy option available to them.

I'm carried away and I don't care.

I fully expect us to acquire Marcelo, Danillo, William Carvalho and Sergio Aguero for our tilt at the title next season............. Conor Coady lifting the trophy at Man City away.....

The thing is Neves knows where the ball is going and how he's going to get it there before our player has even passed it him, his intelligence, anticipation and accuracy means he never looks in trouble. He's on the same pitch as Championship shite like the Bolton lot but he/we are playing a different game.

See, my concern is that we seem to go into relax mode after getting a few goals which allows the opposition to come into the match.
Picking at straws though....the team are fucking excellent.

When we go up (and I very much believe it is when and not if), I would be shocked if Nuno starts spouting anything other than "our first goal is to stay in the league". He's a grounded man. He knows what the competition in the Prem is like and how quickly things can go wrong at that level. I have every confidence that he'll be driving the point home to our players that avoiding relegation is the top priority.

Nothing so far suggests that Nuno will get anywhere near as carried away in the optimism as we are.

The thing is Neves knows where the ball is going and how he's going to get it there before our player has even passed it him, his intelligence, anticipation and accuracy means he never looks in trouble. He's on the same pitch as Championship shite like the Bolton lot but he/we are playing a different game.

I've said it before, whoever did his medical needs to be sacked because they missed the eyes in the back of his head (Neves joins an exclusive club of Wolves personnel with extra body parts alongside Slawo Peszko with his third kidney and Dean Saunders with the massive cock in the middle of his forehead).

I've said it before, whoever did his medical needs to be sacked because they missed the eyes in the back of his head (Neves joins an exclusive club of Wolves personnel with extra body parts alongside Slawo Peszko with his third kidney and Dean Saunders with the massive cock in the middle of his forehead).

I laughed heartily at this...

Fans can get carried away with what is happening or worried that as historically happened on some occasions it falls apart - all that is meaningless

Nuno & everyone else in the club is clearly focused & will not relax one iota till the season is over.

As to next season when we are promoted (& yes I am one who is happy to get carried away) then really doubt that Fosun & the club management will be sitting there with their feet up & not looking to move on from that point

As to how we could do then apart from the current top 6 there is not that much difference in overall quality for the other 14 sides - good or bad seasons can be down to a number of factors & getting a top 10 place one year won't stop you potentially being in a relegation battle the next

I'm happy to live in the moment and enjoy, the best football I've seen in the last nearly 40 years since I've been going down. I find talk such as I heard on WM on the way home tonight of 'winning the PL in 2 seasons' and 'heard a rumour we are going to buy Messi out of his contract in the Summer' all a bit embarrasing to be honest. I believe we will go up, I can only see crippling injuries or complacency preventing that, but after all the shit years I'm not going to let a good one pass me by and take it for granted

I loved the promotion season under Mick. It was ace. But I was worried about our ability to adapt to top flight football after it.

This is a different planet. Yes, we still have to get the job done THIS season, but the team looks eminently capable of doing well in that rarified atmosphere.

I'm happy to live in the moment and enjoy, the best football I've seen in the last nearly 40 years since I've been going down. I find talk such as I heard on WM on the way home tonight of 'winning the PL in 2 seasons' and 'heard a rumour we are going to buy Messi out of his contract in the Summer' all a bit embarrasing to be honest. I believe we will go up, I can only see crippling injuries or complacency preventing that, but after all the $#@! years I'm not going to let a good one pass me by and take it for granted

No matter what happens people will always have extreme, even if totally manic, things to say and I’m past caring or taking any notice. As I said elsewhere on here - I used to be both sick and envious that I wasn’t around during our massive success in the late 50’s - this season has extinguished those feelings as i doubt very much we have ever had as much talent on the pitch at the same time as we do now

Southampton will finish around tenth this year if not better, they are no better than us now no way! Albion finished last year, I don't think its unrealistic to think our current squad are stronger than theirs was. We wont get past the big 6 and maybe Burnley will bore the shit out of everyone with their shit. I makes me laugh that our fan base is embarassed to be optimistic. Believe your eyes! we are the real deal anything might happen but remember last year, although they never really got miles in front no-one doubted that Newcastle would go up but we can't seem to afford that confidence to us. The best season I followed we finished 6th in Div 1 I truly believe that will not be the highwater mark of my life supporting Wolves.

Back