• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Villa 4 - 1 Wolves: Verdict

I'm going to do what Nuno says he does, and take it 1 game at a time. Trying to predict other clubs' outcome is not my strongpoint anyway.

Wolves to beat Reading on tuesday (hopefully) and let the others worry about us.

Quite right Dino

We are now effectively starting a 10 game 4 team league (With Fulham on minus 3 pts as they only have 9 left) with us holding an advantage of 3 & 7 pts over the other 2 teams.

We have 6 at home & 4 away games (Cardiff have the opposite, Villa 5 of each & Fulham 5 home & 4 away) - Villa & Cardiff still to play each other and therefore one or both will lose points (though the same will happen with us & Cardiff)

We have games that we should be capable of winning together with a few that will be more difficult (Cardiff, Derby & Boro being the ones that spring to mind), but there are more than sufficient winnable points to get us over the line.

It was always possible that our early season dominance would not be sustained at the same level as others tried to work out how to play against us - we have a fairly young team on the whole & the Championship is an unmitigated grind so might tire, so rotation is needed to get them over the line.

If anyone on day 1 of the season had given us this scenario then the vast majority of us would have taken it. We have a more competent Manager than we have had for some time & would expect him to find sufficient solutions to complete the job.

I'm going to do what Nuno says he does, and take it 1 game at a time. Trying to predict other clubs' outcome is not my strongpoint anyway.

Wolves to beat Reading on tuesday (hopefully) and let the others worry about us.

Quite right, one game at a time and at the end Wolves win it.

Sadly if you look at the form tables then we are currently a very long way from the best team in the league, or even the 4th best. Over the last 6 games we are 2-2-2 Scored 9 conceded 10. Over the last 10 games we are 4-3-3 (points 15) scored 13 conceded 12. Throw in Nuno's record of his teams falling away at the end of a season and there is every reason to be worried. Yes, we should beat Reading and Burton but arguing that we are currently the best team in the league "just having an off day" is nonsense.

Over the course of the season, coming to a close, so far, we have won 3 points more than anyone, so yes, we are currently the best team in the
league

QPR fans and Holloway leaving the train after last nights win at Villa.

Sadly if you look at the form tables then we are currently a very long way from the best team in the league, or even the 4th best.

It's a shame there isn't some form of table that doesn't account for how good a team is compared to everyone else over the course of the season........

last 10 games -17 points. If this is the blip then thats fine. 17 points for the rest of the season would leave us on 93. Highly likely that's promoted and may be enough to win the league so I am not panicking yet. Ask me again after Burton

Last edited by a moderator:
last 10 games -17 points. If this is the blip then thats fine. 17 points for the rest of the seawson would leave us on 93. Highly likely thats promoted and may be enough to win the league so I am not panicking yet. Ask me again after Burton

I think Villa and Fulham both have to win all their remaining games to finish above us if we reached 93.

4 more wins gets us up IMO, though we may need a bit more to win the title.

And as for goal celebrations ..........

giphy.gif

Back