• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Want to bring my Dad to Molineux for a match (from Ireland..)

StolenSheep

Reaction score
Hey all,

My dad is an Irishman who spent most of the early 1970s as an labourer in Wolverhampton, living through the IRA bombing campaign, the Birmingham Six being wrongfully convicted etc. He moved back home to Ireland in the 1980s and has always regaled me with stories of going to Molineux, following the run to the 1972 UEFA Cup, watching Giant Haystacks wrestle at the Civic Hall and going just about every Irish pub in the area that is now long since rebranded or closed. I've followed Wolves all my life from afar as a result. I even got a dodgy box so I could see the 3pm kickoffs..

He hasn't been back since he returned home to Roscommon in the 1980s but always talks about going back and seeing how things have changed, but knowing him if left to his own devices he'll die before ever doing it and at 73 now I've started to think about making the most of the time I have left with him.

This is a long-winded way of saying his birthday is at the end of the month (flights to Birmingham are absurdly cheap to and from Ireland West..) and I would love to give him a trip to Wolverhampton for his birthday, and I'd like to make sure to be able to take in a game at Molineux on the trip. I know Villa are coming May 6th - I'd love to know if looking for tickets for a derby game is too ambitious (I definitely don't want to end up in the away end) and if keeping an eye on the official website will be enough to grab a pair. If not I'll just adjust and aim for a less popular game. I know I can buy an international membership and get access to the ticket sales two days later, I have no issue playing the £41 but I'd like to know if it's at all likely there will be any tickets available at that point.

Anyways, thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Last edited:
If you try irish wolves ( you will have to pay a small membership fee) you'll will have no problem j getting a ticket.

Going to Molineux (twice) was one of the best experiences of my life as a football fan. Can't wait to go back.

Best of luck in your trip! If I can suggest a place to sleep, Redwings Lodge is generally okay. It won't win any awards, but it is across the street from the stadium, easy access to ASDA (regardless of when you arrive) and is a nice place to lay your head.

Going to Molineux (twice) was one of the best experiences of my life as a football fan. Can't wait to go back.

Best of luck in your trip! If I can suggest a place to sleep, Redwings Lodge is generally okay. It won't win any awards, but it is across the street from the stadium, easy access to ASDA (regardless of when you arrive) and is a nice place to lay your head.
I like how you've made Asda sound like a tourist attraction.

Nah, it was meant as a supply run. Both times I went, I arrived pretty late into the night. Being close to ASDA saved me both times!

Great story , and hope you get tickets and have a good trip.

I probably drank in the same pubs your dad did. The Irish hung out mostly in the Exchange and the one that became the University pub, forgot the name.You could get the Irish papers outside on Sunday mornings.

There’s been a few “I want to make my first visit to watch Wolves” posts recently. I wouldn’t book anything too firm yet, as there is always the risk pesky TV changes the date of the fixture. Give the ticket office a ring or contact one of the fan liaison officers. I’m sure they can give you a clearer answer.

Well, potential new signings check it out before deciding whether to join or not.

If only they had a better Mens section in the George clothing area, Bergkamp may have joined us

Back