• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

West Ham (A) - verdict

Nuno fucked around with tactics at the start of last season and we had Neves playing almost in defence and a huge gap in the centre of the pitch - it was terrible. Thankfully Nuno sorted it.

Hopefully he sorts out whatever it is he is trying to do at the moment pretty sharpish too as that was horrific.

I did think that, bit of a risk to chuck him into an underperforming back 3 though.
Huge risk!

Shifting to 352 would allow us to protect the back 3 a bit more so that may help.

I'm assuming Killman can't play RCB?

Asked this in the match thread, but does anyone know our record against teams playing with 3 CBs?

What has happened to Boly? Looks sluggish, indecisive. Hope I have seen my last step over. Quite happy with Semedo’s debut. Traore needs to be a little less self-indulgent. Games seem to pass Moutinho by at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does that, actually. Last season Boly had a weird stint where he was mucking up a lot (I think it was right after he came back from injury?). It'll pass.

More importantly, from what I gathered from the threat and the stats, we need to go back to the three midfielders formation, or find a working alternative. Confident Nuno will do it, though.

Just to repeat my thoughts from the matchday thread, if this is team evolution I'm genuinely confused what it's evolving into.

Obviously our defence had a horrors how, but nothing else worked either. Our attacks mainly consisted of one player going on a 30 yard run before trying an impossible shot/spooning a cross into an empty box/getting dispossessed /falling over.

Too early to judge Semedo, and Neto is very gifted, but the old Wolves with Doc bursting into the box and Jota taking down a sublime Neves pass has gone, and as Nuno has said, is changing into something else. It looks like it could be a painful transformation, and it worries me that the back ups for many of our players are all fairly green kids.

This was supposed to be the start of our easy run, maybe all of us need to rethink our certainties and arrogances, whether we're happy clappers or pant setters, because I feel we're entering new and uncharted waters. Could be exciting, could be horrific, probably a combination of both

So how come Antonio can put in a performance like that but Traore can't ? To give credit to West Ham whenever we tried attacking we just ran into a sea of claret .

Playing devils advocate here but what happens if Boly moves to LCB and is exactly the same?

"Rethink our certainties and arrogances". Wow.

I may as well say it and accept the inevitable abuse. Moutinho's been a great player but he looks like a prime candidate for a two year deal with the Minnesota Cheeseburgers to me.

Well that was pretty unrelentingly grim.

Tempo wasn't there right from the off, we never had any spell where we looked a serious threat and defensively it's as bad as I've ever seen us under Nuno. The first three goals in particular are shocking:

First: Yes, it's total bullshit from Atkinson, you've given them the freekick so they can't hit a moving ball from way in front of where the foul was. But still, Saiss has to know that Bowen is all left foot and as well as he takes it...don't even give him that opportunity. If you wanted a textbook demonstration of how not to defend against that specific opponent then that was it.

Second: We're on the attack, Raul (awful throughout tonight, sad to say) falls over for no reason, one lump forward and Coady has got too tight to Antonio as he did all match. From there we're bang in trouble.

Third: We get a goal kick. BT are too busy pissing about showing Stuart fucking Pearce on the bloody phone but next we see, we've somehow given away a throw in 25 yards from our own goal. How the hell did we manage that? A few seconds later we compound it by leaving a 6'4'' guy with a record of scoring headers totally unmarked at the near stick.

Most disappointingly, after a below par first half where we were very fortunate to only concede one, there was no real reaction from us. Just more of the same. I can't even complain at the scoreline. Boly, Coady, Adama and Raul were all diabolical and we can't afford for that to happen.

Write it off, learn from it, sort it out next week.

The spine of the side was obliterated tonight, CM pair had zero control of the game from minute one. Antonio played very much on Coadys shoulder which pinned us back. As many have said if you’re playing Neves and Moutihno you need to do it with Donk holding. I was hoping for Neves and Donk in a 3-4-3. Not time to panic but 7 goals in 2 games needs to be halted fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donk was great in the first game, no idea why Nuno thought it correct to then ignore him for the next 2.

Moutinho/Neves isn’t working. As I said in the match day thread, they don’t offer any cover for the defence - but they don’t get in the box when we are attacking. So what exactly are they doing? They’re certainly not managing the game from the middle.

Excellent point, and a bit worrying

So we are crying out for a centre back then basically.
Certainly a right sided one. We have zero cover there if we need Dendoncker in midfield.

At the moment, playing 352 would mean either Boly plays there or we play a kid who probably isn't ready to play there.

Do you just copy and paste this every week ?

It’s almost like Vinagre is rubbish every week.

On a separate subject, the whole “men in the box” thing has to be looked at. BT just showed three/four replays of us getting crosses in from wide positions and literally no one attacking them. Joe Cole summed it up well by calling us “toothless”.

Back