• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

West Ham (A) - verdict

Traore and Semedo need to learn each others game. They were playing as they are, virtual strangers.

Semedo was looking for quick give and go balls but traore when he gets the ball is always looking to do what he does best and run at players. They need time together to work on their game or it may be someone else with a quicker footballing brain needs to play there

Jota was like that at the start. He'll knock it on the head when he realises refs won't blow for everything.

Jota and Cav but no where as near as bad as this kid. Confident we will get it out of his game, just hope its done quickly

Vinagre isnt good enough as a LWB unfortunately

He's probably not but he wasn't the issue last night, not even close.

If we’d bossed the game he probably would have looked loads better.

He had three iffy moments.

1) An absolute spanner throw giving them possession in our own final third. Seriously, schoolboy stuff.

2) Might even have been the same attack, but allowing Soucek to climb over him making zero challenge at all and Rui had to pull off a great save

3) As mentioned at the end of my piece above, standing watching as Haller nods home. Albeit he's way down the queue in the blame game there

Otherwise he was just 5/10, didn't contribute much going forward as sadly is the norm now, wasn't like he was constantly getting ripped defensively.

Wasn't even in our worst five performers.

Last edited:
Traore and Semedo need to learn each others game. They were playing as they are, virtual strangers.

Semedo was looking for quick give and go balls but traore when he gets the ball is always looking to do what he does best and run at players. They need time together to work on their game or it may be someone else with a quicker footballing brain needs to play there
Yeah, getting used to having Adama in front of you must take some time. There will be no "go" with a give-and-go ball into Adama. This is why Doc used to just run into the box once he'd played in Adama.

Semedo would look better with Podence (and possibly Neto) in front of him instead, but I expect we will try and get Semedo and Adama working as a pair. As I say, it'll take some time.

Good summary of the defensive shambles. Could you see who was supposed to be marking soucek for his header? I couldn’t tell from the live view.

It's Saiss I think. He does get slightly blocked off (might even be by one of our own players) but it's not good enough regardless.

I don’t think Traore will work in that way full stop. That’s why Nuno has tried his best to either play him up front or WB.

When he’s running at players there’s no one better. But it really is at the detriment of everything else the team does. Might be worth sticking him on the left to try and get him to run inside and get in situations where he can shoot or play it wide. Problem is his shooting and simple passes is still largely erratic and he’s certainly not the type to try any 1-2s in and around the area.

It's Saiss I think. He does get slightly blocked off (might even be by one of our own players) but it's not good enough regardless.

That then means he’s culpable (Or part culpable) for three of the four goals. He was brilliant in the first game, MOTM in my view, but the penalty against city was really bad, and then last night was awful.

Hopefully he will pick up, or I’m sure Kilman will get a chance (or we’ll finally buy Todibo!)

All gone downhill since he went into the banner :D

I thought penalty aside (granted, it's a pretty fucking big aside) he was good against City. As was Coads. Boly is the worry at the moment, it's more glaring because he's practically never been in bad form for us in over three years.

It's nothing to do with him playing on the right btw, he's just not playing well.

Think Jimenez has to take some responsibility on the 3rd goal too, it's his job to see things off at that near post and that delivery never had any height on it but he's on his feels completely flat footed so there's no attempt from him to get out and attack it.

Yeah, to a point. He's normally very good at that too.

The second worst display I've ever seen from him (the worst being Cardiff away a couple of years ago).

That then means he’s culpable (Or part culpable) for three of the four goals. He was brilliant in the first game, MOTM in my view, but the penalty against city was really bad, and then last night was awful.

Why didn't you mention something sooner ?????? I'm not having a go, but nobody in that starting line up deserved any praise so how you can single out individuals to lambast (at least several times last night) is beyond me, if you look hard enough for something you will find it !

Think Jimenez has to take some responsibility on the 3rd goal too, it's his job to see things off at that near post and that delivery never had any height on it but he's on his feels completely flat footed so there's no attempt from him to get out and attack it.

He has to take a lot of the responsibility since its been given as an OG

Patricio – Stopped it being a few more

Saiss – I still love him but still shit myself when he’s 1 on 1

Coady – Poor game, absolutely pwnd by Antonio

Boly – Quite poor. Can see why people want him to go try him back at LCB, out of sheer hope I think!

Vinagre – Not toooo bad. However, lacking confidence or effort to do much on attacks other than cut it back, and our wingbacks are so important to us

Semedo – Thought he looked good. Compared to Doc his dribbling and passing will really show as time goes on I think. I’m excited anywho

Neves – Can’t win ATM. Not very effective at all in front of goal other than the very occasional smasher

Moutinho – Keeps making little errors. Why you do this Joao! Generally looks a bit pooped out

Neto – Lots of drive but not much link-up play and clearly not good enough to smash them in himself at random yet. Looks great overall though, slight positive from last night

Jimenez – Struggled to do anything. Head dropped a bit like everyone else i.e the corner goal

Traore – Pissing me off again. I just don’t get it. He has the brain of someone who started playing football age 18 like me. Still, produces balls into the box with no reply from fullbacks – we need to make use of them if he is told to do this. And can freely take on 5 men in the middle of the pitch too, but it's what happens after that

Hoever – Looks good, another I’m excited about, shame it’s the same position!

Vitinha – Looks very bright and Moutinho like to me. Constantly asking for the ball with opponent players near him. Still not the able-to-take-people-on CM we need though

Silva – Looks a bit like a young Miranda

Overall I think we look a bit tired but more so we don’t have mental drive, and not working as a team so much. Bit worried the short break has properly fucked us tbh. I wish we could buy a top quality wingback because they are so important to our play but don’t think we will as we have Jonny. Hopefully a few games pass and we are already looking more towards the Wolves we know we can be

My shitty write up

He has to take a lot of the responsibility since its been given as an OG

I don't think going down as a OG means it's always that players fault.

To be fair even if he'd been on his toes on that goal I don't think he beats Soucek to the ball but if he gets out to it maybe he puts Soucek off a bit or the deflection comes off him differently as he's got a bit closer, who knows it's all a bit of a lottery in those kind of situations but he definitely didn't do his job at the near post to the best of his ability on that one.

Why didn't you mention something sooner ?????? I'm not having a go, but nobody in that starting line up deserved any praise so how you can single out individuals to lambast (at least several times last night) is beyond me, if you look hard enough for something you will find it !

It’s pretty straightforward - if someone is Directly culpable for three goals in a single game (backing off and allowing a shot, losing his marker who got the header, and misjudging the cross the guy scored from), it’s not outrageous to mention he’s having a poor game?

I don't think going down as a OG means it's always that players fault.

To be fair even if he'd been on his toes on that goal I don't think he beats Soucek to the ball but if he gets out to it maybe he puts Soucek off a bit or the deflection comes off him differently as he's got a bit closer, who knows it's all a bit of a lottery in those kind of situations but he definitely didn't do his job at the near post to the best of his ability on that one.

No neither do I, but I think you do have to take a tiny bit of responsibility if you directed it into the net.

Back